• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TimeShare Exit company

swittner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard this advertised and did some research, which showed mixed results regarding their success. They say they have a 100% money back guarentee, but it looks like it is tied up in legaleze wording.
We are stuck with a useless to us timeshare, we can't even give it away, and now we are being billed for an additional assessment on top of rising maintenance fees. Does any one have any experience with this company- we are desperate.
Float week, Edgewater Beach Resort, Dennisport, MA.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
biggest red flag there is these days is a company asking for a large upfront fee....

would you trust a guarantee from someone whos goal is to rip you off?

what efforts have you made thusfar to offer it for free on the resale market? and or what did the resort say when you contacted the HOA to see if you could surrender it back?

swittner

TUG Member
Reaction score
biggest red flag there is these days is a company asking for a large upfront fee....

would you trust a guarantee from someone whos goal is to rip you off?

what efforts have you made thusfar to offer it for free on the resale market? and or what did the resort say when you contacted the HOA to see if you could surrender it back?

I have posted it on TUG, got no bites. I was told to try redweek, but that has a fee. I am considering ebay, but prepared for onslaught of timeshare resellers if I do. I never considered asking HOA if I could surrender it, mostly because its not a prime week. I will ask them, but have little hope.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

swittner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Switter - We have a specific forum on TUG to give away free timeshares, and it doesn't appear that you have posted it there - that should be your next step.

Follow up is essential
- please read all the instructions for the best results:

MORE INFO: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-can-i-give-away-my-timeshare-on-tug.132509/

*The Redweek fee is minuscule compared to what you would pay to an upfront fee company - and far more legitimate.
thanks, I will post it on the free forum ( thought I had) and will check into redweek.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There are two places you can post it: 1) The Bargain Deals forum, 2) The Marketplace - you may have posted it in the Marketplace.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard this advertised... <snip>

I assume that you are referring to Timeshare Exit Team, which advertises quite heavily on radio in and near major metropolitan areas.
The odds that they will actually help you in any truly useful way are slim to none and the cost to place your long odds bet is hefty.
Don't do it, unless you actually believe (as I certainly do not) that they would ever actually refund your money later.

In addition to offering your interval in TUG's "Bargain Deals" forum, I respectfully suggest that you contact the resort HOA President (in writing) and overtly ask if the HOA will accept a "deedback". Don't assume that the answer is no without even first asking --- and don't just ask a desk clerk over the phone, as that would be input from someone (however pleasant) who has absolutely no decision making authority on the matter in the first place.

If the HOA declines to accept a "deedback", you will almost certainly have to offer to give the ownership away for free. In fact, you might also have to offer to pre-pay the next maintenance fees (as well as the special assessment to which you have referred) in order to find a new, willing, valid "grantee" for a clean transfer. Even with those costs, you would likely be less money "out of pocket" than you would be in placing a risky cash bet at the roulette tables of Timeshare Exit Team.

If none of the above efforts produce results, you can always choose to simply cease paying maintenance fees (and / or the special assessment), thereby inviting inevitable foreclosure. It is your own personal decision whether you want to risk potentially taking a negative credit report "hit" for defaulting in that scenario. However, a clean and legal transfer to a willing, valid new recipient should be the goal to actively and energetically pursue before ever considering that "final option" path. I wish you luck.

Last edited:

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
I heard this advertised and did some research, which showed mixed results regarding their success. They say they have a 100% money back guarentee, but it looks like it is tied up in legaleze wording.
We are stuck with a useless to us timeshare, we can't even give it away, and now we are being billed for an additional assessment on top of rising maintenance fees. Does any one have any experience with this company- we are desperate.
Float week, Edgewater Beach Resort, Dennisport, MA.

Are you having any luck? I am trying to end my membership I have had with Villa Del Palmar for 10 years. The timeshare has been paid off for 8 years we are just sick of the increasing maintenance fees. We stopped paying them a few years back hoping they would just go away but they have recently turned it over to Monterey Collections. By phone or email all they will say is they won't speak to me until I pay back fees and penalties in full.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
please stop posing the same reply over and over...thank you.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
please stop posing the same reply over and over...thank you.

I don't understand. I am asking if another member has had any luck with cancelling his membership.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
perhaps you had it as your signature, it was the same wall of nonsense on every post.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
perhaps you had it as your signature, it was the same wall of nonsense on every post.

I'm sorry, I am trying desperately to figure out what has worked and what has not to get out of a timeshare membership such as mine at the Villa Del Palmar. If others have had success or failure, sharing it on here can help others in there situations.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The forum rules do not permit duplicate posts. If you want to talk to someone directly, click on their name and you can send a private message by clicking the "start a conversation link."

Centurion

Reaction score
I hear ads for this company all the time on the radio. They are "endorsed" by Dave Ramsey but that really doesn't mean much aside from the fact that they paid a chunk of cash to him. It seems like they do have success with their strategy but I would have a lawyer review their promises and put the fee on a card if you have to in case you need to get your money back through a chargeback. Don't write a check.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like they do have success with their strategy... <snip>

Seems? What does that mean? On what basis does it "seem like they have success", other than hearing their own unsubstantiated self promotion?

I keep waiting for someone (...anyone, actually) to post here on TUG to report verifiable success with any of these many assorted escape / exit / relief "solution" parasites (including Timeshare Exit Team, their ubiquitous but unconvincing radio advertising notwithstanding). In nearly ten years here, I've heard only radio silence while waiting. Crickets. Nada.

I have not been (and certainly will not be) holding my breath while waiting for a verifiable report of lawful, legitimate "exit" success with any of these upfront fee parasites who prey upon the uninformed and / or desperate.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hear ads for this company all the time on the radio. They are "endorsed" by Dave Ramsey but that really doesn't mean much aside from the fact that they paid a chunk of cash to him. It seems like they do have success with their strategy but I would have a lawyer review their promises and put the fee on a card if you have to in case you need to get your money back through a chargeback. Don't write a check.

They have GREAT success with their strategy - but their strategy is to get you to pay them an upfront fee - not to sell your timeshare!

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Also, keep in mind:

In the past (more recent than Victorian times at least), some, SOME, of these companies may, again MAY, have had 1 or more successes ridding owners of their timeshares; and a substantial amount of their cash as well (I presume).

But.... Many, most or all of the developers, management companies and HOA's have wizened up to the Viking ship, 'title in trust' or phantom owner schemes (call 'em what you will). I'm quite sure you can pay Johnny Cochrane (RIP) to convince the jury that 'they must acquit' and rid you of your encumbrance, but that would be a pricy ordeal for sure.

Money up-front equals money good-bye
flat,50x50,070,f.jpg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
A friend of my husband used them to get rid of his Diamond Resort timeshare in Florida. He paid them a lot of money but he is rid of it. I told him he should have spoken to me first. He evidently tried with Diamond and they wouldn't take it back- though I am sure he was not aware of the correct, special contact information as was posted on TUG a while ago. Also- he told me he never had considered giving it away for free!!!! I said- you paid thousands of dollars to get rid of it but you never thought of giving it away? !!SMH.....

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it is always fascinating to me how so many owners go immediately from listing it for say..."half" what they paid for it....to the instant assumption that it cant be sold and then jump straight to paying an upfront fee company.

heck there are even a number of ads in the TUG marketplace for outrageous resale prices...

Centurion

Reaction score
Seems? What does that mean? On what basis does it "seem like they have success", other than hearing their own unsubstantiated self promotion?

I stand corrected. I don't have any evidence that they have success. Based on the amount of money they must be spending to promote their business and a small number of complaints I jumped to an unsupported conclusion. I still hear them on XM Radio frequently when driving and they have Dave Ramsey as their spokesman. That can't be cheap. Either way, we all agree that there are less expensive options to try first before ponying up to one of these companies.

swittner

TUG Member
Reaction score
so what can someone do, when they have advertised their timeshare as giving it away, and get no response? (granted I have only done this for a short time so far) There are other ads from Edgewater that have been there a while.
I wrote to the president of the HOA about giving it back, but so far no answer. I have received emails about summer weeks that were available to buy, so perhaps they do take those back in inventory. Off season weeks aren't so appealing.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so what can someone do, when they have advertised their timeshare as giving it away, and get no response? (granted I have only done this for a short time so far) There are other ads from Edgewater that have been there a while.
I wrote to the president of the HOA about giving it back, but so far no answer. I have received emails about summer weeks that were available to buy, so perhaps they do take those back in inventory. Off season weeks aren't so appealing.

would suggest posting it up in the bargain deals forum here as well!

highlight that you have already paid the 2017 maintenance fees, AND you are covering the closing costs yourself so that essentially any new owner gets this completely free.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
would suggest posting it up in the bargain deals forum here as well!

highlight that you have already paid the 2017 maintenance fees, AND you are covering the closing costs yourself so that essentially any new owner gets this completely free.

Brian's suggestions are good ones, to which I'll add a few property-specific observations. Having been to this place (once), I know that it is fundamentally a converted motel, but it's nice and does have its' own beachfront, so don't fail to point that out. Many units (not all) have some very nice views; "off season" is not necessarily a "show stopper", as the property location is darned good! Just be very clear about unit size (studio units there are truly tiny), number of BR and bathrooms. Also be honest about the kitchen limitations (i.e., no stoves, iirc) and accurately and specifically cite the most recent annual maintenance fee amount, even if you are the one paying those fees this time in order to entice a new owner. Finally, don't neglect to clearly identify the week and unit number (if fixed) and if it is a "floating" ownership, identify specifically the range of all weeks during which reservations can be made under your particular "floating" ownership.

I believe that VRI still / currently manages this facility. IMnsHO, that's a good thing, which you should definitely mention in any and all ads that you place.

Last but certainly not least, I understand that a $1,100 special assessment has been imposed here, spread out over 3 years, with $400 due this year and $370 due in each of the next two years. I respectfully suggest that you seriously consider who you expect to absorb that cost in any prospective ownership transfer.

Personally, I think that a week at this place, even "off season", is something in which someone may well be interested if you make the deal attractive enough. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
I am not too sure if this is the forum to post my story on... but here it goes I bought a timeshare through westgate resorts for Orlando Florida in November I have not been finished paying off the down payment. I am well after the 10 day period and haven't even started paying the HOA fees I know that it's either sell it back (which I called them and they says the have no buy back program) or stop paying it which will effect my credit. I called acounsumer credit association and they are charging me $2450 to get me out of the contact which doesn't seem a lot for the over 10k that I am gonna pay westgate. I truely don't know what to do, can someone please give me some onsite from experience or knowledge, thanks in advance

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not too sure if this is the forum to post my story on... but here it goes I bought a timeshare through westgate resorts for Orlando Florida in November I have not been finished paying off the down payment. I am well after the 10 day period and haven't even started paying the HOA fees I know that it's either sell it back (which I called them and they says the have no buy back program) or stop paying it which will effect my credit. I called acounsumer credit association and they are charging me $2450 to get me out of the contact which doesn't seem a lot for the over 10k that I am gonna pay westgate. I truely don't know what to do, can someone please give me some onsite from experience or knowledge, thanks in advance

No "consumer credit credit association" on Planet Earth can somehow magically extricate you from a valid, legally binding contract. None.
Don't pay (and waste) that $2,450 or it will just be more money lost and gone forever, with you still having that contractual obligation.

You might just have to bite the bullet and decide to pay not one cent more to Westgate, default and just take the inevitable credit report "hit".
Look at at this way --- even if it was fully paid off right now, today, you couldn't even give it away for free, so why pay those thieves another nickel? :shrug:
Whatever you have paid so far is certainly lost and gone forever, but you can at least cut your losses from this point forward. It's your choice, your decision.

Last edited: