• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

trexmdr

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying Inn at the opera SF.
Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
My son is going to schoo there so we will use it every year and we are in s. cal so use in the future will be no problem even after he graduates.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I am thinking of buying Inn at the opera SF.
Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
My son is going to school there so we will use it every year and we are in s. cal so use in the future will be no problem even after he graduates.

Just be sure you understand what you are getting. Have you stayed there?

This is an urban boutique hotel that also operates as a timeshare (or a timeshare that also operates as a hotel). The rooms are not large and have a wet bar with microwave, small refrigerator and coffee maker. Most windows look at other buildings. A continental breakfast is included in your stay.

I personally love Inn at the Opera but it is not a typical timeshare so check it out in person before you buy.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Have you been there? Are you familiar with the location? I just looked at a map and personally, it's not a location where I'd want to stay. I'm not saying it's a bad area (I've never stayed in that section of SF so I can't say). We love San Francisco, but prefer to be in the Union Square or Embarcadero area.

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and best wishes to your son. Attending school in San Francisco will be a great experience.

I've stayed in most of the San Francisco timeshares and Inn at the Opera is great if you plan to spend your time attending the opera, symphony, or have business at city hall. Most casual tourists would not care for that area at night and public transportation can be iffy from there. I am not sure how easy it would be to sell or give away that timeshare if you decided it did not meet your needs.

Have you considered WorldMark or Wyndham points? Both their timeshares are in the Union Square area. My favorite is the WorldMark San Francisco both for location and the facility itself.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The neighborhood is improving rapidly and it is close to Hayes Valley shops and restaurants (as well as the Opera House, Davies Symphony Hall, City Hall, etc.). It is well located for public transportation (both Muni and BART).

That said, I agree with the previous posts: look carefully before you leap, although there is absolutely nothing wrong with it if it does meet your specs.

I would add the Donetello to SF timeshares that are more like hotels for consideration (which is close to Union Square).

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is that we bought Inn at the Opera 6 years ago just for the same reason. Our daughter attended school up there, and is now living in the Bay Area. Go ahead and PM me for more info. I bought my unit on ebay and have been very happy with it. It's a floating week and I can stay any number of nights, and can stay multiple weekend nights. But total I get 7 nights a year. Inn at the Opera is one of the few timeshares that has a nice sit-down breakfast included, and daily housekeeping.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might also be interested in The Suites at Fisherman's Wharf. They are located in a very nice neighborhood along the Hyde Street cable car line, and close to other transportation which you can take to the downtown area or the embarcadero.

trexmdr

Reaction score
Just getting back to this forum and thank you very much for the input. My son is at Cal Maritime in Vallejo so maybe Napa would be better. Any suggestions for there? I have been researching worldmark. My daughter is into classical music so symphonys would be great for her. I do like that you can stay for a few nights at a time. What are the regular room rates/night. And again napa is closer and we do enjoy the wine country.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just getting back to this forum and thank you very much for the input. My son is at Cal Maritime in Vallejo so maybe Napa would be better. Any suggestions for there? I have been researching worldmark. My daughter is into classical music so symphonys would be great for her. I do like that you can stay for a few nights at a time. What are the regular room rates/night. And again napa is closer and we do enjoy the wine country.
Have you looked into Shell Vacations Club at Vino Bello Resort? That seems to be a popular resort right in Napa. CJ

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have only stayed at the Donatello so I can't comment on the other areas, but Union Square is an awesome location - you are in the middle of everything and walking distance from the BART station. Like Inn at the Opera, The Donatello also offers nightly stays with your ownership week (any combo of nights as long as there is only one Friday and one Saturday) and the maintenance fees including property taxes are $930 and include daily housekeeping. Additionally they have onsite parking that is very inexpensive compared to other places.

Our daughter went to Sonoma State and we have family in Napa, and we always stayed in Napa. Traffic to and from San Francisco is not to be discounted - it will add significant time to your commute. Also, I would expect that Oakland would be more convenient for your visits, so a timeshare on that side of the bay may be easier for everyone.

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the best things we enjoyed while staying at the inn was the hop on hop off bus stopped across the street and would take us almost anywhere we wanted to go even if we did have to cross that bridge many times.
Jim

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed there and did a review, It is v very small room. The employees were very nic e and helpful. Lots of good restaurants and very easy to grab transportation.