• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Forum Avatars - a quick guide to fix or add yours!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so one of the bigger things that appears to have been messed up during the migration is folks avatars (the picture above your name when you post).

for some that had the default avatars, these didnt come over. for others who had uploaded their own...they may appear grainy or out of focus.

since the USER CP that everyone was used to in the old forums is gone, here is a quick tip on how to reset or re-upload your forum avatar:

1. first you must be logged in to the forums

2. you must have a photo available on your local computer that you want to use. (feel free to go get one off the internet and save it locally)

2. at the top right hand corner of the page click your USERNAME (this will make a drop down box appear)

3. select "AVATAR" (a new box will appear on your screen allowing you to browse your local PC for a picture to use).

4. click browse and navigate to the photo you want to upload as your avatar and click OKAY

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, Brian. I tried the steps above, got all the way to number 4, but the photo (from my desktop) is not loading. Is there a size limitation? The one I'm trying to upload is over 1.9 megabytes - do I need to resize downward first?

Thanks.

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay. Strangely, it appears that number 4 does work -- the new photo gets uploaded, but it just doesn't display in the avatar settings. When I posted my message above, the new avatar then appeared with the message. o_O

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some many long time Tuggers with missing AVATARS.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are some many long time Tuggers with missing AVATARS.
If you were using one of the built in avatars, it is gone. You need to now upload your own. Though they are working on trying to bring the built in avatars over at some point.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Okay. Strangely, it appears that number 4 does work -- the new photo gets uploaded, but it just doesn't display in the avatar settings. When I posted my message above, the new avatar then appeared with the message. o_O

It took some time to process before the picture appeared in the avatar dialog, don't close the editor dialog until you see it.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The upload box does suggest using a pic no larger than 200 x 200 pixels.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and yes, i did notice a bit of a delay when trying to use a much larger (size wise) avatar in the box...im guessing perhaps related to the time to upload and shrink it down to the appropriate size.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Actually. it suggests an avatar of AT LEAST 200 x 200 pixels.

Ahh, didn't catch that. That is likely why many people who uploaded avatars to the old BBS all look blurry. I think the old BBS required the avatar to be smaller than 60x60?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Then I tried to change the photo, and now it doesn't seem to be working again.
I do show a picture of someone golfing in your avatar, was that not the one you wanted it changed to?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I do show a picture of someone golfing in your avatar, was that not the one you wanted it changed to?
I think it finished rendering the avatar to display on the pages after they made that post.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
An additional step I noticed: Check the box "Delete current avatar?". Wondering if that is a necessary step. I'm still waiting for my photo to upload. Hmmm.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like how long should I wait for it to load? I've gotten the old photo deleted but cannot load the new one. It shows it in the file box but is not loading; no spinning wheel, nothing.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
should be instant...and dont click the box to delete the avatar.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. It would not take a horizontal format photo but took this vertical format. Hmmm.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Brian's instructions worked very well for me just now.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Works easily. You can even do some cropping, and editing of the photo you choose. I took down that ugly guy that was my avatar and put up my best friend IzzyBear. Cute, huh?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Works easily. You can even do some cropping, and editing of the photo you choose. I took down that ugly guy that was my avatar and put up my best friend IzzyBear. Cute, huh?

100% improvement :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
bump, you can pretty much add any photo you like, it will scale it down if its too large and or you can adjust the center so the avatar shows the main part of the photo.

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here you go David!! I must admit that was totally easy with the instructions

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
uploaded a new tool that provides a "Gallery" of default avatars to choose from, and ive uploaded 25 sample avatars that you can use if you like for those that dont want to upload their own!

hopefully i can get back on the old forum and steal all the default avatars from there to put in this gallery so anyone who wants to use the original default ones can!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and uploaded a few beach/vacation ones now =)

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I can't find the photo I'm using so I'll stick with the grainy one until I can find it. Have changed computers twice so it may be lost.