• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
This morning we received a confirmation from Interval for a two bedroom villa at Barony for Aug. 19-26, 2017. We traded a two bedroom platinum week at Canyon Villas.

In view of the high point value of summer weeks at the Marriott beach resorts on Hilton Head, I really didn't expect to get an Interval trade (thinking most owners not wanting to use their summer week would turn it in for points, rather than depositing it with Interval). But I figured I'd try, and so I posted the trade request several months ago and literally forgot about it. What a nice surprise it was to get the confirmation this morning!

It's been 7 or 8 years since we've been to Hilton Head -- it will be great to return!

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Congrats on getting the Interval trade you wanted.

We've had similar success with Interval. We tried and tried (unsuccessfully) to make a DC points reservation at Lakeshore Reserve. Finally, we put in an Interval trade request and got a 3-bedroom Lakeshore unit in exchange for our 2-bedroom Mountainside unit. Interval is still alive and well.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This morning we received a confirmation from Interval for a two bedroom villa at Barony for Aug. 19-26, 2017. We traded a two bedroom platinum week at Canyon Villas.

In view of the high point value of summer weeks at the Marriott beach resorts on Hilton Head, I really didn't expect to get an Interval trade (thinking most owners not wanting to use their summer week would turn it in for points, rather than depositing it with Interval). But I figured I'd try, and so I posted the trade request several months ago and literally forgot about it. What a nice surprise it was to get the confirmation this morning!

It's been 7 or 8 years since we've been to Hilton Head -- it will be great to return!

Congratulations! You'll enjoy Barony.

I will point out that since most schools here in the southeast US start between August 20-25 or thereabouts, the week you got probably has less demand than most other summer weeks. Because those dates worked for you, it probably helped get the trade.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You've discovered my secret, that you can get some great trades into the big 4 Marriotts on HHI during those last two weeks in August. You did give up a really nice week so you probably could've gotten a deeper red week because I've gotten weeks 30-33 at the Monarch and Grande Ocean over the last 3 years using Marriott HHI weeks 39 & 40 to trade through II. That is also a great time to go to HHI, when the big masses are gone. We'll be there for 2 weeks in 2017 at that time.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Barony is an awesome resort. Enjoy your week.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Gee, do you think the salesmen were lying when they said things like, "The DC will destroy all future I.I. trades because MVC will control all of their own inventory?" :p

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gee, do you think the salesmen were lying when they said things like, "The DC will destroy all future I.I. trades because MVC will control all of their own inventory?" :p

Good point.

I think when the salespeople say that they totally forget about trades from transactions purchased after 6/21/2010. There are a lot out there......

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and enjoy. That's a nice time to be in HH as the crowds are a bit less and it's still a great time of year to be there.

Despite the changes to the program, we do a lot of exchanging and we are still happy with the results. We notice that it takes a bit longer than it used to but making requests a year out and with some flexibility in weeks and locations, we find the exchanges are still coming through.

We anticipate that at some point it may become a problem since it's clear MVCI wants you do do everything through them when it's a Marriott to Marriott exchange.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
II can still deliver great trades! Late August is fantastic for HHI. Great weather, warm water, less crowded (kids back in school) etc.

I'm still awaiting my summer trade via II into Grande Ocean (HHI) or Ocean Watch (Myrtle Beach). Requested using a full 2 bedroom MGV over July 4th (high TDI) at 12 months out....and no hits yet for either for any week in July. I would generally add Barony and SurfWatch, but haven't been to Grande Ocean and have only been to Ocean Watch for a short 3 day stay. So, I'd like to try one of them for a full summer week. I've got plenty of time to wait given I'm within driving distance, but am a little surprised I haven't matched yet in II. Apparently GO and OW are truly a very hard trade in July. I don't recall Barony or Surfwatch taking this long in past with my MGV.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
II can still deliver great trades! Late August is fantastic for HHI. Great weather, warm water, less crowded (kids back in school) etc.

I'm still awaiting my summer trade via II into Grande Ocean (HHI) or Ocean Watch (Myrtle Beach). Requested using a full 2 bedroom MGV over July 4th (high TDI) at 12 months out....and no hits yet for either for any week in July. I would generally add Barony and SurfWatch, but haven't been to Grande Ocean and have only been to Ocean Watch for a short 3 day stay. So, I'd like to try one of them for a full summer week. I've got plenty of time to wait given I'm within driving distance, but am a little surprised I haven't matched yet in II. Apparently GO and OW are truly a very hard trade in July. I don't recall Barony or Surfwatch taking this long in past with my MGV.

Why not add the Marriott Monarch? We tried the Monarch for the first time last summer and loved it almost as much as the GO and we definitely wouldn't be disappointed with either. Last year we got July 30th check-in, this year 8/5 because that is what worked for us.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

As I mentioned yesterday in another thread, I'm having the same experience trying to trade to Grande Ocean, but my request is for the shoulder season in fall 2017 (roughly mid-September through mid-to-late October), not prime summer. I'm using a Barony week 12 with a TDI (100) similar to the weeks I'm searching for (100-110). I've had a search in since last April, but no hits since the reservation window for my dates started opening a couple months ago. I know it's still early, and a TUG HHI expert told me not to expect a match until sometime in early-mid 2017, but that surprised me. I had assumed most deposits would be made near the 12 month window and I would get a match this fall, but maybe most owners don't deposit until 6-9 months out. Who knows? I've always found trading frustrating for this very reason - the waiting and uncertainty.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
As I mentioned yesterday in another thread, I'm having the same experience trying to trade to Grande Ocean, but my request is for the shoulder season in fall 2017 (roughly mid-September through mid-to-late October), not prime summer. I'm using a Barony week 12 with a TDI (100) similar to the weeks I'm searching for (100-110). I've had a search in since last April, but no hits since the reservation window for my dates started opening a couple months ago. I know it's still early, and a TUG HHI expert told me not to expect a match until sometime in early-mid 2017, but that surprised me. I had assumed most deposits would be made near the 12 month window and I would get a match this fall, but maybe most owners don't deposit until 6-9 months out. Who knows? I've always found trading frustrating for this very reason - the waiting and uncertainty.
I don't know much about the II trading process either, but it seems to me there are a few buckets, each with different timing, that you are dealing with.
1. Folks who have already reserved a week, and placed it into II with a Deposit First (those you can get at right away).
2. Folks who have already reserved a week, and placed it into II with a Request First (those you need their match to hit, before their deposited week will become available to you, so those likely come later).
3. Folks who have not yet even called to reserve their week with MVC, and when they do, will then decide if they Deposit First or Request First into II (more delays in the process), or perhaps never get around to reserving a week at all, at which point in time MVC may bank it themselves into II, etc, etc.

Seems there are different times that each of those events occur, and when playing the II game, patience needs to be one of your virtues.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't know much about the II trading process either, but it seems to me there are a few buckets, each with different timing, that you are dealing with.
1. Folks who have already reserved a week, and placed it into II with a Deposit First (those you can get at right away).
2. Folks who have already reserved a week, and placed it into II with a Request First (those you need their match to hit, before their deposited week will become available to you, so those likely come later).
3. Folks who have not yet even called to reserve their week with MVC, and when they do, will then decide if they Deposit First or Request First into II (more delays in the process), or perhaps never get around to reserving a week at all, at which point in time MVC may bank it themselves into II, etc, etc.

Seems there are different times that each of those events occur, and when playing the II game, patience needs to be one of your virtues.

Good points. I'm usually a very patient person, but when I decide I want to go somewhere, I like to be able to get it done and finalized. That's why I like Destination Points. But since our Silver Barony week isn't a very efficient point generator for the maintenance fee cost, I'm trying out trading for 2017 and maybe 2018, just to see if it works for us. Given the low point value of a Silver Barony, we can get more value for that week with trading vs. electing points, but the jury is still out on whether it's worth the hassle when all is said and done. So we'll see how this trade goes, and I may try it again for 2018 since Easter week falls in Silver season for 2018, and that could give us a good trading week. But I really do hate the waiting and uncertainty.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
II can certainly be frustrating, but also effective.
I am still trying to track the pros and cons of II exchange v DC Points for our weeks.
Both are delivering for us, albeit neither consistently.
We are moving more towards using low Points generator and/or lock off weeks for II exchange bookings and good Points generator weeks for DC Points bookings.
We have recently had confirmed both II exchange and DC Points bookings for Phuket Beach Club for November / December 2017 to extend our home weeks stay.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Just received a confirmation overnight that we got our trade to Marriott's Grande Ocean for next fall! September 15-22 (week 37). Since we wanted to make sure we got a match, we gave a fairly broad range of acceptable weeks because this was our first II trade attempt and we didn't know what to expect. So while in a perfect world, we would have preferred a week or so later to increase the odds of a slightly cooler, less humid week, we'll take it! Looking forward to experiencing the legendary Grande Ocean. Since both kids will be in college next fall, this will be the first fall in 17 years that my wife and I can travel without concern for the school calendar.

Very happy this search didn't stretch out into next spring. Also, very happy to get a prime Gold week in exchange for our Silver Barony Garden View. While I still detest the uncertainty of waiting for a trade to come through, I can't argue with the fact that using our Silver Barony in this fashion is a much better value than converting it to 1625 DC points. To get a Gold Grande Ocean with points would take a minimum of 3450.

For 2018, Easter week falls at the end of Silver season, so next March we're going to try to reserve that relatively high TDI week and see what we can snag with a much higher demand week.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Just received a confirmation overnight that we got our trade to Marriott's Grande Ocean for next fall! September 15-22 (week 37).
Congrats!!!
We'll have to meet for a drink. We'll be there Sept 16-23.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Congrats on getting the Interval trade you wanted.

We've had similar success with Interval. We tried and tried (unsuccessfully) to make a DC points reservation at Lakeshore Reserve. Finally, we put in an Interval trade request and got a 3-bedroom Lakeshore unit in exchange for our 2-bedroom Mountainside unit. Interval is still alive and well.

I didn't think the Lakeshore Reserve would have been a difficult trade as I see these weeks come and go. But a ski week at Mountainside, peak season, is rare.

Was that a ski week?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received a confirmation overnight that we got our trade to Marriott's Grande Ocean for next fall! September 15-22 (week 37). Since we wanted to make sure we got a match, we gave a fairly broad range of acceptable weeks because this was our first II trade attempt and we didn't know what to expect. So while in a perfect world, we would have preferred a week or so later to increase the odds of a slightly cooler, less humid week, we'll take it! Looking forward to experiencing the legendary Grande Ocean. Since both kids will be in college next fall, this will be the first fall in 17 years that my wife and I can travel without concern for the school calendar.

Very happy this search didn't stretch out into next spring. Also, very happy to get a prime Gold week in exchange for our Silver Barony Garden View. While I still detest the uncertainty of waiting for a trade to come through, I can't argue with the fact that using our Silver Barony in this fashion is a much better value than converting it to 1625 DC points. To get a Gold Grande Ocean with points would take a minimum of 3450.

For 2018, Easter week falls at the end of Silver season, so next March we're going to try to reserve that relatively high TDI week and see what we can snag with a much higher demand week.

Another nice Marriott uptrade in HHI through II. Congrats. It seems like with the right due diligence it's something that can be done regularly which really brings tremendous value.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I didn't think the Lakeshore Reserve would have been a difficult trade as I see these weeks come and go. But a ski week at Mountainside, peak season, is rare.

Was that a ski week?
No - not a ski week. We traded a July 4th week (gold season) which has almost the same desirability as a prime ski week. Mountainside is hopping during the summer (especially July 4th week).