• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Peer to Peer Timeshare exchanges, Blockchain and Ethereum

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out these two sites:

https://www.ethereum.org/

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...how-keep-drones-away-manned-aircraft-and-talk

Ethereum advertises itself as a platform to build applications that use blockchain technology.

There are other websites out there claiming to do the same thing, but it seems that this one is farthest ahead.

I know I have been castigated before for saying this, but there it bears repeating:

Timeshare exchanges (RCI, II, SFX, DAE ETC) will disappear.

Timeshare owners will be using peer to peer technology to exchange timeshares directly among themselves in the not too distant future.

It seems that thousand of timeshare owners will be able to use this technology to exchange among themselves simultaneously, being able to deposit, do OGSs, borrow timeshare weeks, etc.

I personally cant wait.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...how-keep-drones-away-manned-aircraft-and-talk

Ethereum advertises itself as a platform to build applications that use blockchain technology.

There are other websites out there claiming to do the same thing, but it seems that this one is farthest ahead.

I know I have been castigated before for saying this, but there it bears repeating:

Timeshare owners will be using peer to peer technology to exchange timeshares directly among themselves in the not too distant future.

It seems that thousand of timeshare owners will be able to use this technology to exchange among themselves simultaneously, being able to deposit, do OGSs, borrow timeshare weeks, etc.

I personally cant wait.

This is already happening read the exchange section in Tug Marketplace

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
There's a tugger named Clark who started a Marriott-to-Marriott exchange. I tried it for one year. I had reserved Thanksgiving week at Desert Springs (actually a beautiful time of year in the desert) then I sent inquiries to other owners. I didn't target anything in high season - only shoulder season. I was willing to downtrade to a one bedroom in a high value location even. How much interest did I get - absolutely nothing. Not even a response. Meanwhile I can uptrade that week every year in II. I don't even have to reserve Thanksgiving to get a good trade! All for the princely sum of $139.

For your sake, I hope that your experience will be different.

Btw, have you tried doing a direct exchange with another owner on the TUG board? I have also done that and had a great exchange with Silentg. Why don't you just check out the listings or list your own week and see how it goes? It won't cost you anything to try.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I personally cant wait.

About what you bolded - TUG is about the last place for you to find support for your contention that the established exchange companies will disappear anytime soon. TUGgers LIKE the established companies, have figured out how to take advantage of everything they offer, and are happy to shout out to anyone who will listen about the Wonderful World of Timeshare Exchanging that they're enjoying.

I'll give you credit for being persistent but really, I wouldn't expect this suggestion to get any more support than any of your others. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUGgers LIKE the established companies,

I'll give you credit for being persistent but really, I wouldn't expect this suggestion to get any more support than any of your others. The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented.

I disagree that most Tuggers love the established companies. I would at most agree that some tuggers like some established companies, the corollary being that most Tuggers do not like most established companies.

For example, look at these two posts

Combining RCI deposits [As of 9/17/16, Travel Window reduced to 12 months]
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244674

Interval international unit size upgrade fee??
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243492

And plenty of Tuggers have bad things to say about DAE and SFX (not me though)

I love using eBay, I get stuff there all the time that both costs less and is of better quality than what I can get at my local Wal-Mart, Macy's, etc.

Both Wal-Mart and Macy's are closing stores. eBay, last I heard, is doing pretty well.

Amazon, meanwhile, is angling to try to take Wal-mart's place as the store where most people get most things. And Wal-Mart is so far unsuccessfully playing catch up.

This is not re-inventing the wheel. It's a completely different way of doings things.

My guess is that timeshare exchange companies are well aware of the changes coming down the pipeline, and therefore will continue to increase their fees, until there is some credible competition that provides the exchange services that Tuggers love at 1/10th to 1/100th of those fees.

Then all of a sudden it wont be so expensive to exchange timeshares.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would never in a million years use peer to peer with an unknown to exchange a timeshare. It isn't secure. You could very easily be scammed and trust me, there will be scammers.

The exchange companies are not going away.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I disagree that most Tuggers love the established companies. I would at most agree that some tuggers like some established companies, the corollary being that most Tuggers do not like most established companies.

For example, look at these two posts

Combining RCI deposits [As of 9/17/16, Travel Window reduced to 12 months]
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244674

Interval international unit size upgrade fee??
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243492

And plenty of Tuggers have bad things to say about DAE and SFX (not me though) ...

Nobody's claiming that TUGgers on the whole "LOVE" the established exchange companies (although certainly some do.) I said they "LIKE" them which you grudgingly agreed to, then you pointed out two threads where new policies were announced and dissected.

The thing you seem to be missing is that TUGgers take the time to understand how each company works in order to get the absolute best exchange value out of what they own. Complaining about changes/devaluations/new fees is to be expected with those dissections - but you're still not going to find more than a few, if that, who would be willing to walk away from the established companies and experiment with new ventures introduced and maintained by individuals. There is simply too much inventory being deposited into the established companies, and too little protection in non-branded exchange ventures. And there is too much profit in the established companies for their developers to allow them to be devalued to the point of dissolution.

And now with my moderator tiara on (who doesn't love a tiara?!) - this is the fourth or fifth thread you have started with one premise - in this one, a company that could facilitate exchanges - but obviously meant to rehash other discussions introduced by you to gain support for a new exchange company model. This thread is being closed just as at least one other was. If you want to continue this exercise please do it in one of your other related threads. And, you can expect any more new related threads to be closed without notice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.