• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did we screw up?

sguerra1118

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought at Seaworld...$12,000 for 3500 bi-annual points. 7000 bonus point. After reading what I am seeing here I feel like we got had. Is there an easy way to upgrade to a package that gets yearly points or buy in somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind if you are within the allowable time frame, then buy resale.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
When did you buy?

Time is of the essence. You can save a whole lot of money if you act in time.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Act Fast -- Get Out Of It While You Still Can !

Full-freight timeshares sold by timeshare companies are a notorious bad deal.

Rescind quick, before the cooling off period is over -- a matter of a few days at most.

After that, take your time & buy a nice resale (previously owned) timeshare.

Get the same thing as full freight, or the equivalent, or something even better, for thousands less than the timeshare companies sell'm for.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
HGVC on the Boulevard (Las Vegas)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
You should have 10 days to rescind your contract. Follow the instructions in the contract and send the letter asap.

Then you can research what you really want to buy. The package that you bought is probably worth less than $1,000 if you could even find someone to buy it. It's the lowest 2 bedroom package that they offer at that property. Yet the maintenance fees will be about $1,000/yr for that property.

You can find 7,000 point contracts in the resale market, which will get you a 2 bedroom in high season, for about $7,000 or less at that property. And the maintenance fee will be the same as the package you purchased.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are still within the Recind Period, recind. Follow the instructions precisely. For example if it says to use US Mail, use US Mail not FedEx, not email, etc. Don't call. It will do no good and just subject you to another hard sell.

George

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't get "had" you paid the normal price from HGVC. To them, it is a good deal. If you can cancel your contract, do that right away. Then, you can easily buy the same thing on the resale market for around $1,000. Or, you may decide to buy something different that will be more useful to you.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you are outside the rescission period, you don't want to be stuck with this dog. You need to upgrade. Once those bonus points are gone, you'll be left with a points-poor package.

As I see it, you have three upgrade options:
1 - Ask HGVC to take it back... They'll offer pennies on the dollar. You'll lose your shirt, but then you can buy another TS, resale.

2 - Attend a presentation or contact Sales about exchanging... They'll offer to take-it-back for what you paid in exchange for a new retail purchase from them. You'll pay thru the nose for the new one, but some of us here have done that.

3 - Use a reputable HGVC broker to buy and sell, like Seth Nock (www.sellingtimeshares.net) or Judi Kozlowski (www.judikoz.com). Your TS will be difficult to unload, but they'll work with you on it.

Make that four options (ref: MontyPython):
In addition to the three options above, you could keep what you have and buy another E-O-Y unit to fill in blank years. You'd have two MF's, but only one per year. One of the above brokers can help you buy the other unit, resale.

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just bought at Seaworld...$12,000 for 3500 bi-annual points. 7000 bonus point. After reading what I am seeing here I feel like we got had. Is there an easy way to upgrade to a package that gets yearly points or buy in somehow?

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations, you just saved yourself 12k by finding this site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Congratulations, you just saved yourself 12k by finding this site.

Not necessarily... We don't know if he's within the rescission period.
He asked about upgrading... which to me, suggests he may be stuck.