• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Our saga continues with little action:
  • We sent our first email on January 5th, 2016, requesting deed-back for property at Ridgewood Townhouses Phase II and received the ticket number.
  • After no follow-up, I called on January 21, 2016, and Debbie helped me get the ticket assigned a "high priority."
  • Again, silence. Called 02/09/2016. Debbie said it was assigned on 01/26/2016, and should have a decision made within two weeks of that date.
  • Called again on 2/18, and she said the docs had been prepared & sent to the title company, and that we should receive paperwork in another 3 weeks.
  • Called again on 03/20 & 03/21 and left messages (calls not returned)
  • Called again today, 03/22. Instead of Debbie, someone else answered (Charissa), saying the documents were sent to the title company yesterday. Once the title company does whatever they do, they will be sent FedEx to us.
For us, this is the final piece in settling our late mother's estate. Just providing an update so others know that, while it seems to be a very long process, it seems to still be in effect. I will update again once we receive documents.

For anyone searching: the contact number 877-497-7521, option 1 English & then 3 is direct for Loss mitigation.

We started in August, got the last piece of paperwork in the mail to DRI on/about Dec. 28th. Initially they couldn't even find our deeds. I had to send them copies of what we had. Glad we kept everything and had it were we could find it easily. For deeded weeks it's a long, slow process.

tcbdlb

Reaction score
Considering pursuing deedback option but have questions:
Prior to dri I booked a split unit for 2016. One week used and one week is still booked for use in November '16.
Presently I have a credit on my acct, partial payment towards 2017 MF.

If we were to begin this process would I lose my remaining split unit week? What would happen to the money already paid?
Should I wait till after the Nov stay and assuming they are still accepting deedbacks, would 2017 MF need to be paid in full?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Just wanted to comment that some owners we met at Kaanapali last week were invited to a group meeting on site on this past Wednesday. My understanding was that this was NOT a typical timeshare presentation, but rather a gathering of owners and a no strings update. We were not invited, presumably because it conflicted with the timing of our whale watching Event of a Lifetime. They were told that owners in arrears on their maintenance fees would be OFFERED the chance to give their points back. I thought the other owners mentioned that the take back of points was also discussed in general as an option for those not in arrears who just wanted rid of the thing. Cliff doesn't remember that, so I may be mistaken. We specifically asked at our one-on-one presentation if there was an exit strategy or way to unburden ourselves or our heirs, and were told there was nothing set up at this time; we knew that to be untrue (at least for the US Collection) but did not challenge it since I'd already royally pissed off our sales person.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we have heard from a number of owners that when contacting DRI directly (not using the email or numbers provided in the thread) that most are told the same thing...mainly that DRI is not taking back intervals so clearly this program is not one that is shared with most employees who would interact with owners.

its also very common knowledge that the "relief" companies are targetting DRI owners heavily given its a super easy solution to charge someone a few thousand dollars knowing full well DRI will take back the interval for $250 easy peasy.....instant profit for these shysters.

It is sad that so many in this industry seem to make owners walk a never ending uphill battle to get correct, honest and truthful information these days.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $250 check to DRI for Deedback was posted to our checking account on 3-24-2016. How do you know when the transfer of the deed and account is complete?

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We have been fretting about losing this year's three weeks in Sedona and Santa Fe at the end of July since it has been reported that DRI takes those weeks away once the deedback is completed, even though 2016 maintenance fees have been paid. Of course they were Johnny-on-the-spot with our paperwork -- made a request to turn in our two US contracts (we own in Hawaii also) on Feb 24th and before we returned from Kaanapali on March 24th we had the documents. Cliff called today expressing our concerns and we were told to just hold on to the paperwork until after our vacation, but to be sure to send it in before the end of the year so that we aren't on the hook for the 2017 fees. So in August we'll get the documents notarized and turn in the contract for 24,500 points. We've decided to keep the 12,500 contract to continue to have 13 month access to US resorts.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
The $250 check to DRI for Deedback was posted to our checking account on 3-24-2016. How do you know when the transfer of the deed and account is complete?
Other than seeing them remove the balance due and available points from our online account, we would never have known for certain. Other than seeing the checks clear we received no correspondence saying the deed back was successful. I'm not complaining though. The deeds are gone and our balance owed shoes ZERO. I'm very happy to have had the relatively easy method of deeding the weeks back vs trying to sell or give them away.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
We have been fretting about losing this year's three weeks in Sedona and Santa Fe at the end of July since it has been reported that DRI takes those weeks away once the deedback is completed, even though 2016 maintenance fees have been paid. Of course they were Johnny-on-the-spot with our paperwork -- made a request to turn in our two US contracts (we own in Hawaii also) on Feb 24th and before we returned from Kaanapali on March 24th we had the documents. Cliff called today expressing our concerns and we were told to just hold on to the paperwork until after our vacation, but to be sure to send it in before the end of the year so that we aren't on the hook for the 2017 fees. So in August we'll get the documents notarized and turn in the contract for 24,500 points. We've decided to keep the 12,500 contract to continue to have 13 month access to US resorts.

Just a word of caution. Of they withdraw the offer, you'll be left on the hook as owners. DRI gad a buy back program before the last real estate market crash. I held on to long and the offer that was on the table was withdrawn. It was several more years before the opportunity presented itself again.

jeffox

Reaction score
DRI take-back

Just a word of caution. Of they withdraw the offer, you'll be left on the hook as owners. DRI gad a buy back program before the last real estate market crash. I held on to long and the offer that was on the table was withdrawn. It was several more years before the opportunity presented itself again.

I remember when that happened, that's why I jumped at this opportunity when I heard about it. I also received no confirmation other then the check clearing and no MF bill.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I remember when that happened, that's why I jumped at this opportunity when I heard about it. I also received no confirmation other then the check clearing and no MF bill.

If I had made my decision sooner, DRI would have paid ME $700 for each week. Instead we ended up remaining owners for at least another 5 years and paying them $250 each to take back our weeks. I lost several thousand dollars by hesitating

Reaction score
New chapter in our continuing saga:
  • We sent our first email on January 5th, 2016, requesting deed-back for property at Ridgewood Townhouses Phase II and received the ticket number.
  • After no follow-up, I called on January 21, 2016, and Debbie helped me get the ticket assigned a "high priority."
  • Again, silence. Called 02/09/2016. Debbie said it was assigned on 01/26/2016, and should have a decision made within two weeks of that date.
  • Called again on 2/18, and she said the docs had been prepared & sent to the title company, and that we should receive paperwork in another 3 weeks.
  • Called again on 03/20 & 03/21 and left messages (calls not returned)
  • Called again today, 03/22. Instead of Debbie, someone else answered (Charissa or Chaliese?), saying the documents were sent to the title company yesterday.

Today, 04/07: Called a dozen times today until I was able to get a person instead of the "leave a message" part. Was told that Debbie is no longer there. Was also told that nothing had been sent to the title company, and it would be reviewed in 2-3 weeks. Without detailing how my reaction turned from polite to, well, not so nice... I updated everything with them again - from correcting the phone numbers and addresses to the property name to assuring them that they have had our trust info & death certificate for months... It was like starting over completely. Upon asking for a supervisor to speak with my attorney, I was told it wouldn't be necessary and that I would receive the deed to notarize & instructions for sending back by Monday.

This process is exasperating, but trying not to lose hope.

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only scanned the 22 pages but, I bought 2000 pts in the US Collection and brought three DEEDED timeshares into Club Select for additional points. MY understanding is that the 3 I brought are not subject to the "buyback" - I can just give those away or notify DRI that I will no longer deposit them. If so, my question is, do I just notify DRI that I am terminating my 2000 pt Club Membership and stop paying the fees (current) or is this subject to the $250 termination fee?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
why not email them and ask? should get a definitive answer directly from the source!

Bill4728

Reaction score
I only scanned the 22 pages but, I bought 2000 pts in the US Collection and brought three DEEDED timeshares into Club Select for additional points. MY understanding is that the 3 I brought are not subject to the "buyback" - I can just give those away or notify DRI that I will no longer deposit them. If so, my question is, do I just notify DRI that I am terminating my 2000 pt Club Membership and stop paying the fees (current) or is this subject to the $250 termination fee?
NO you need to deed-back the 2000 US collection pts and pay the $250 .

The other TS, if at DRI managed properties, can also be deeded back BUT if they are not DRI managed properties then you clearly can not deed them back to DRI.

Omnefos

Reaction score
DRI Title Buyback

I saw this thread in February, and contacted DRI via the email address given. They responded by in about a week with papers to fill out and have notarized. I also had to include a $250 transfer fee.

Yesterday I got a copy of Grant Deed Transfer request from El Dorado County stating that the transfer will be recorded within two weeks. and I would be free of my time share. "FREE AT LAST, GOD ALMIGHTY, FREE AT LAST!"

It really works! Thanks TUG, I did a lot of stressing about how to get rid of this time share.

Mike

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
All's Well That Ends Well.

I got a copy of Grant Deed Transfer request from El Dorado County stating that the transfer will be recorded within two weeks.
Our deedback to DRI was recorded by the county in December 2014.

In February 2016, we were still getting maintenance fee bills & overdue notices -- even a foreclosure notice.

Some personal intervention by the DRI board member at the resort got the matter straightened out -- I think.

We'll know for sure only if the collection letters & foreclosure notices stop.

Even so, for a while there I thought about doing nothing just to see the spectacle of DRI launching foreclosure action on a property they already own.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Our deedback to DRI was recorded by the county in December 2014.

In February 2016, we were still getting maintenance fee bills & overdue notices -- even a foreclosure notice.

Some personal intervention by the DRI board member at the resort got the matter straightened out -- I think.

We'll know for sure only if the collection letters & foreclosure notices stop.

Even so, for a while there I thought about doing nothing just to see the spectacle of DRI launching foreclosure action on a property they already own.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Sounds like they recorded the deed but failed to update their own records. I guess they would have caught it when they send the deed to their foreclosure department to start the foreclosure process.

riperoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I started this process on 8/3, it is still dragging on, every time I contact Diamond they are saying the processing in slow at the county level. I was getting nervous around the end of the year if I was going to be on the hook for 2016 fees since I hadn't heard anything official back. Reached out to them again and this was the reply i just got back.

"Please be advised that we have you signed deed and is currently in the process of cancelling the account upon successful execution with the county recorders office. Please disregard the 2016 invoice."

So, moving slow but moving. As of today my account is still open on line. I really hope this goes as planned.

So, here we are May of 2016, a solid 9 months after I started this process and I just went to log into my account and it shows no Member information for this account!!!! Woohoo! up until about 3 weeks ago my account was active but showed zero balance due on 2016 MF's. I do believe I am done!!! :cheer:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
definately slowing down from when this originally started, but its great to hear folks are still finding success!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So, here we are May of 2016, a solid 9 months after I started this process and I just went to log into my account and it shows no Member information for this account!!!! Woohoo! up until about 3 weeks ago my account was active but showed zero balance due on 2016 MF's. I do believe I am done!!! :cheer:

Congratulations!

Angelica014

Reaction score
If you don't have the loan balance completely paid off but the MF is current and the current payments have been made can you still be eligible for a takeback or is the only way to have paid off the loan completely?:confused:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you would need to pay off any loan attached to the ownership in nearly all cases.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you don't have the loan balance completely paid off but the MF is current and the current payments have been made can you still be eligible for a takeback or is the only way to have paid off the loan completely?:confused:

Yup, needs to be paid off. They want you to have actually paid for it in full before they are willing to take it back for free. Doesn't seem right, but it is true.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $250 check to DRI for Deedback was posted to our checking account on 3-24-2016. Just checked the county records and the deeds are still in our names. Will start calling them again soon to see what they have to say.