• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wristbands at MGV

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We just got back from our week at Grande Vista. I posted previously how we didn't get any of our room location choices initially until I asked for something in one of two buildings and they found a room in one of the two (that didn't have any view to speak of).

Anyway, we golfed on our final day there and like always, we charged it to our room. When we returned to our villa I noticed that we didn't get the owner's discount . (I requested the discount when I made the online reservation, just as I had the other 2 times we golfed). When I called the club house to inform them, the woman who answered asked "Where you wearing your wristbands?" I asked "What wristbands?" "The blue wristbands that owners get when they check in." That was news to me - we hadn't received any wristbands when we checked in, and we never had them before. She suggested we go down to the front desk and request them, because they allow us a 10% discount on everything on property. Once we had them, we could come back with our receipt and get a refund. So that's what I ended up doing.

I just wanted to inform Grande Vista owners to make sure you get these blue wristbands when you check in. It's something new, and they might save you some money. Luckily we hadn't done much at the resort during this trip besides golf, so it didn't matter. It was only that final time we golfed when we didn't receive the discount and had to go back for a partial refund.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Like going to a high school dance

BeachPlace is doing the wristband thing too. It's like going to a high school dance. Lots of complaints. Mickey mouse. Really big and ugly, put on the left wrist so you have to change a watch to the right arm. Color changes very week. Women very upset if they wear jewelry. They said its only for this month of spring breakers, but I doubt that's true. They have to be worn all the time you're there...and cut off when you leave.

Also have signs posted you could only put a towel on lounges for 45 minutes or they'd be taken away for others to use. They never did that so seat stealers had the best locations.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We ran in to this on our last visit to Grande Vista last year. They did give us the writ bands at checkin though. I just forgot to wear it most time since it is really only used for the discount. I forgot it once at the Marketplace, but it would have only saved us $0.50 or so. It is good that they offer a discount to owners, but they should be able to do this based on your keycard or villa.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Just got back fom Beachplace and they are doing the wristbands because of spring break influx. We just cut ours off and carried in pocket/beacbbag. They did not have any problem with that approach, as long as you have them with you.

They are enforcing the 45 minute rule and I am glad they did....there were several instances of lounge hogs who put stuff on lounges and did not retrurn for over an hour.

I felt they did a very good job in controlling the spring break affect....not easy to do because of the way BP is on figured.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It should be noted that it isn't required that you wear the MGV wristbands around the pool. They are only given to owners apparently and are just so you can get 10% off at concessions.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
It should be noted that it isn't required that you wear the MGV wristbands around the pool. They are only given to owners apparently and are just so you can get 10% off at concessions.
Definitely different than the Marriotts in Hawaii and the Surf Club in Aruba, which all required the use of the wristbands.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Definitely different than the Marriotts in Hawaii and the Surf Club in Aruba, which all required the use of the wristbands.

It hasn't been very often that the Orlando properties require use of wristbands. I have only seen this one time at Lakeshore Reserve when they were giving out wristbands over the Memorial Day weekend. Though there didn't seem to be anyone enforcing it.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
The wristbands in use at Barony and SurfWatch during busier seasons are like LiveStrong and other bracelets, silicone that can easily be removed. Now they're also offering the new key-coded ones for a fee that's donated to their charity but those are also removable. At both resorts you don't have to actually have them on your wrists at all times but they need to be carried because Security/Venders will ask to see them.

I can't figure out what's being used at BeachPlace - they have to be CUT off?!?! Like hospital bracelets?! Those sound even more cheap and tacky, if you already think bracelets are tacky. MVW is buying the silicone ones by the thousands so I can't imagine BPT is saving any significant money using something different.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
At BP they are the cheap, tacky ones (like hospital wristbands)....they planned to use a different color each week. That's why we opted to cut them off. They also had the better looking (?) ones that you could get for a donation to the Children's charity like being done at other locations.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that as long as the concession was Marriott owned you would get the owner discount just by charging to room. I should pay more attention to these things.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I think we're discussing two different kinds of wrist bands. I've had the cut-off kind when staying at various Marriotts. Basically they're to identify you as Marriott guests so you can use the pool and get pool towels. The color changes each week, and you cut them off when you check out.

The ones I was referring to at Grande Vista are silicone, just like the Live Strong ones, as SueDonJ mentioned. You can easily slide them on and off. Their purpose is to identify Owners at ther resort (enabling us to receive discounts at the restaurants, golf, and the MarketPlace). I was told they began using these last May. I asked if we should bring them with us next year, and was told "I guess so."

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think we're discussing two different kinds of wrist bands. I've had the cut-off kind when staying at various Marriotts. Basically they're to identify you as Marriott guests so you can use the pool and get pool towels. The color changes each week, and you cut them off when you check out.

The ones I was referring to at Grande Vista are silicone, just like the Live Strong ones, as SueDonJ mentioned. You can easily slide them on and off. Their purpose is to identify Owners at ther resort (enabling us to receive discounts at the restaurants, golf, and the MarketPlace). I was told they began using these last May. I asked if we should bring them with us next year, and was told "I guess so."

At SurfWatch and Barony the silicone ones or the new keyed ones being sold for charity are given to every guest (owner, exchanger, renter, etc) at check-in. During high-demand periods if you're not wearing it Security will ask to see it, and nicely remove you from the property if you don't have one. The new ones can be re-coded and -used at any participating resorts but the older ones can't.

I've never seen a cut-off type wristband or been given anything that proves ownership for on-property discounts, either at my home resorts or any others. I've always thought the same as Fairwinds, that any owner discounts on-property are automatically applied to the folio when owners charge things to the room? To get the off-property discounts (the concierges will give you a list of participating vendors) you have to show your keycard or keyed bracelet.

Count me in with those who think an un-removable wristband is tacky and cheap. :(

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have never seen a situation where concession discounts are given by simply charging items to your villa. I have always had to show something to prove I was entitled to a discount. Either a card that they give you at checkin, a wristband or our owner card. Though most of the people working the concessions are confused by our owners card, likely because they never see them.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I have never seen a situation where concession discounts are given by simply charging items to your villa. I have always had to show something to prove I was entitled to a discount. Either a card that they give you at checkin, a wristband or our owner card. Though most of the people working the concessions are confused by our owners card, likely because they never see them.

At Grande Vista, I always just said "I get the owner's discount" and no one ever questioned me. I usually charged stuff to my villa and assumed they looked up my room number to make sure my name was associated with it, and that it was marked somehow as "owner".

(Owner card?? I don't have one of those. When/where did you get one?)

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
This was attached to my MGV vacation preferences request. It shows the Children's Miracle Network bracelets which apparently are available for purchase and can be used to lock/unlock your room instead of a key. Proceeds go to CMNH.

However, tt sounds like there is a second wristband which is free and provided to MGV owners for discounts on food, golf, etc?

On-Site Promotion

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE THE MIRACLES ARE
CMN Miracle Band Key
Purchase a wristband key and help us make miracles happen for sick and injured children. Wristband keys are a convenient way to unlock your villa during your vacation, plus they can be reprogrammed for use at over 30 Marriott Vacation Club® resorts.

Wristband keys are available for purchase at the Front Desk for $10 each or $15 for two. All proceeds go to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.

To learn more, view this video. https://vimeo.com/123104256

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
This was attached to my MGV vacation preferences request. It shows the Children's Miracle Network bracelets which apparently are available for purchase and can be used to lock/unlock your room instead of a key. Proceeds go to CMNH.

However, tt sounds like there is a second wristband which is free and provided to MGV owners for discounts on food, golf, etc?

On-Site Promotion

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE THE MIRACLES ARE
CMN Miracle Band Key
Purchase a wristband key and help us make miracles happen for sick and injured children. Wristband keys are a convenient way to unlock your villa during your vacation, plus they can be reprogrammed for use at over 30 Marriott Vacation Club® resorts.

Wristband keys are available for purchase at the Front Desk for $10 each or $15 for two. All proceeds go to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.

To learn more, view this video.

I think I saw them while we were there, but no one asked if we wanted one. (Not surprising, since we didn't even get one of the 'regular' ones.)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wristbands are discriminatory and dehumanizing. They allow some guests to be given perks and or discounts to some, and not to others staying at the same resort.

I HATE WRISTBANDS!

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
At Grande Vista, I always just said "I get the owner's discount" and no one ever questioned me. I usually charged stuff to my villa and assumed they looked up my room number to make sure my name was associated with it, and that it was marked somehow as "owner".

(Owner card?? I don't have one of those. When/where did you get one?)

We got an owner card when we bought our first week in 2007.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We got an owner card when we bought our first week in 2007.
Yes, we too received a card way back when we first bought.
Describing it as a card is very generous though.
As I recall, it was a fairly flimsy 'press out' from a sheet of paper.
I am sure I still have it somewhere, but I have never taken it on any of my stays.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, we too received a card way back when we first bought.
Describing it as a card is very generous though.
As I recall, it was a fairly flimsy 'press out' from a sheet of paper.
I am sure I still have it somewhere, but I have never taken it on any of my stays.

I would agree, certainly a far cry from a card. It is the shape of a card, but not a hard plastic one. As you say, pressed out from paper, though it is somewhat heavy card stock.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I would agree, certainly a far cry from a card. It is the shape of a card, but not a hard plastic one. As you say, pressed out from paper, though it is somewhat heavy card stock.

I'll have to look to see if I got one. We bought our first week in 2003 (EOY), then completed the other EOY 12 mos. later. I think we bought our 3BR a couple of years after that. I'm sure if I do have one, I've never brought it with me when we stayed at our resort.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My cousins are there now and say it's as bad as Westgate and needs paint all exterior surfaces and in villa furnishings are old and unattractive. I'll ask if they have to wear those ugly wristbands.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there over Thanksgiving and it was beautiful! Both inside and outside! Can't wait to go back!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My cousins are there now and say it's as bad as Westgate and needs paint all exterior surfaces and in villa furnishings are old and unattractive. I'll ask if they have to wear those ugly wristbands.

I think a lot depends on where the building is in the refurbishment cycle. If it is coming due for a refurb, it may look tired and worn. The units at Grande Vista take a lot of abuse. They usually have fairly high in unit occupancy with families and such. We stayed in a newly refurbed building last April and it look fantastic inside and out. Even a fresh coat of paint on the outside.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We were there in late February and it was very nice, both inside and out.