• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Downton Abbey (Spoilers welcome)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit surprised that we didn't have a thread this season. My reactions ...

Admittedly, the ending was fairly hokey with everything coming out well. Still, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I guess someone tweeted Julian Fellows that if Edith doesn't marry, he better get used to sleeping with one eye open because someone will be out to get him.

Overall, I enjoyed this season as much as any with perhaps the exception of the first. I think in part because I knew it was coming to an end and it was my last chance to partake. Also, I was so tired of poor Bates always being in trouble, it was nice that he and Anna could spend most of the season in happiness.

sun&fun

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan and now wondering what to do with the time that will be freed up every Sunday evening until the next series sucks me in. Just a couple of observations:

I couldn't quite buy into Barrow's redemption. He was so vile to so many I couldn't be as forgiving as his colleagues in the servants' hall.

Hokey? Yup. A lot of loose ends (and couples) were tied up awfully fast.

And how convenient that Lord Merton was misdiagnosed! Hope he doesn't get run over by one of Henry's cars.

Baxter smiled more in 90 min. than in the past 2 years. I never did understand her obsession with the bad guy from her past.

Happy that Lord Grantham got a new pup. I predicted he would but didn't think it would be a gift from the Dowager. I hope the new puppy doesn't get run over by one of Henry's cars!

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I couldn't quite buy into Barrow's redemption. He was so vile to so many I couldn't be as forgiving as his colleagues in the servant's hall.

I could never forgive him for all he did, either. I did feel badly for him when he tried to kill himself, but he was never likable to me. I've been thinking all season that he would be promoted to butler.

I actually could never stand Mary. Glad Edith was able to surpass her in the end.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope PBS finds some new 'Costume dramas' to satisfy our addiction. I'd hate to just waste Sunday night to sports, or Lawrence Welk or something.

But now. Some loose ends that were never answered. What ever became of Mr. Hughes? Or Mr. Patmore?

I sort of hope for the occasional special or movie. The timing will be difficult with Downton Abbey ending on 1926 Eve, and the Great Depression looming 3-4 years hence, and yet another World War in the future. Little George, Sybbie and Marigold Grantham will be about the same age to 'Keep Calm and Carry On.'

Anyway, it's been a fun romp through a time and lifestyle none of us participated in.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
But now. Some loose ends that were never answered. What ever became of Mr. Hughes? Or Mr. Patmore?

Jim

It is my understanding that the head housekeeper and head cook were always referred to as MRS. even if they weren't married. And in this case, neither was. So there was no Mr. Hughes or Mr. Patmore.

If you recall, when Elsie and Charles got married (Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson, of course), there was the discussion Mrs. Hughes had with Mrs. Patmore about how she (Mrs. Patmore) would someday be married. Mrs. Patmore was dreaming of the day, until she set her eye on Mr. Mason.

I see that marriage happening someday, along with the one between Baxter and Mr. Moseley. Both will happen someday. And then there's the growing flirtation between Daisy and Andy. Ah yes, young love... ;)

Dave

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the head housekeeper and head cook were always referred to as MRS. even if they weren't married. And in this case, neither was. So there was no Mr. Hughes or Mr. Patmore.

If you recall, when Elsie and Charles got married (Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson, of course), there was the discussion Mrs. Hughes had with Mrs. Patmore about how she (Mrs. Patmore) would someday be married. Mrs. Patmore was dreaming of the day, until she set her eye on Mr. Mason.

I see that marriage happening someday, along with the one between Baxter and Mr. Moseley. Both will happen someday. And then there's the growing flirtation between Daisy and Andy. Ah yes, young love... ;)

Dave
You are correct about the "Mrs" being applied to the unmarried as a sign of respect (doesn't that open a whole different thread?). The day after Mrs Hughes married, Mrs Patmore said something about Mrs Hughes now understanding what she (Mrs. Patmore) did not. There was also the segment where an old suitor was recently widowed and met Mrs. Hughes to propose--and was, of course, turned down--and she said she had not married.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I, too, am so sad that the series has come to an end. I can't remember when I enjoyed a tv show/series as much as this one.:clap:

I thought all the story lines were tied up sweetly and I was thrilled that Edith finally will be happy.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was thrilled that Edith finally will be happy.

Every time Edith had something fall apart, she'd roll her eyes, and you could hear her thinking, "Oh crap! Not again!!"

I liked that she now outranks Mary. Mary may have been the more aggressive sister, but maybe not - Edith openly chased after her man in London, and ended up with Marigold. Pretty outrageous for the time, I'd say.

Although the last couple of seasons I kept expecting Michael Gregson to return from Germany with no memory of Edith, with a brain tumor, or some such amnesia thing. It would have fit in. As it ended, I liked Bertie more than I thought I would.

Dave

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mrs and I still don't understand Mary and Henry. There is absolutely no chemistry there at all. He seemed to come out of nowhere, drive around some and talk a bit, and then all of a sudden he's married to the ice queen? Sorry, I don't buy it.

I thought Edith and Bertie were going to slide off the road in that scene after the wedding, in the back of the car driving in the winter.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Flat Affect

Mrs and I still don't understand Mary and Henry. There is absolutely no chemistry there at all. He seemed to come out of nowhere, drive around some and talk a bit, and then all of a sudden he's married to the ice queen? Sorry, I don't buy it.

I thought Edith and Bertie were going to slide off the road in that scene after the wedding, in the back of the car driving in the winter.

Mary's face rarely showed emotion of any kind-grief, happiness, love, etc. She seemed most relaxed around Tom Branson and I'd hoped that there would be something kindled between them. He was always so caring yet candid with her.....

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was a great series. The ending was quite contrived, but I'm glad all was well with everyone.
Even though this focused on the household, I wish the story line had showed the family doing real work. How did they run the estate, as far as money coming in? Lord Grantham sure sat around a lot.
Come to think of it, Edith maybe worked the hardest! Otherwise, it looked like a very boring lifestyle for the idle rich.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It was a great series. The ending was quite contrived, but I'm glad all was well with everyone.
Even though this focused on the household, I wish the story line had showed the family doing real work. How did they run the estate, as far as money coming in? Lord Grantham sure sat around a lot.
Come to think of it, Edith maybe worked the hardest! Otherwise, it looked like a very boring lifestyle for the idle rich.

One of my favorite quotes of the entire series:

Robert is telling Matthew how he expects him to contribute to the workings of the estate. Matthew says there are plenty of hours in the day, and of course, he'll always have weekends. The Dowager looks around and asks, "What is a weekend?"

Obviously, if you've never worked, you wouldn't be looking forward to days when you didn't have to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfpBW-nUWk

:hysterical:

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Edith

Every time Edith had something fall apart, she'd roll her eyes, and you could hear her thinking, "Oh crap! Not again!!"

I liked that she now outranks Mary. Mary may have been the more aggressive sister, but maybe not - Edith openly chased after her man in London, and ended up with Marigold. Pretty outrageous for the time, I'd say.

Although the last couple of seasons I kept expecting Michael Gregson to return from Germany with no memory of Edith, with a brain tumor, or some such amnesia thing. It would have fit in. As it ended, I liked Bertie more than I thought I would.

Dave

My hope was that the end of the series was not really going to happen and as Edith and Bertie were standing in front of the church about to be married, Michael would walk in and object. :bawl:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My hope was that the end of the series was not really going to happen and as Edith and Bertie were standing in front of the church about to be married, Michael would walk in and object. :bawl:

That would have twisted things up, for sure!

I think they ended the series at the right time. A few years later with the stock market crash, Cora would have lost the rest of her money, and the whole estate would have come crashing down around them. Best to leave on a high note.

And with Carson unable to continue, I was actually glad to see Barrow become the butler. Sure, he was a jackass early on, but I think he tried to become a better person. When he couldn't get a better job, he kept coming back to what he knew, and people who accepted him for who he was. His own family treated him poorly, and he needed to grow into being his own man. I want to think he went on to become a very good butler for the Granthams. It's not like O'Brien would come crawling back to drag him into mischief. :)

Dave (who is surprised he has such developed opinions of this show he only watched peripherally, because it was on constantly in his household for years. First run, reruns, and on the DVDs others kept watching over and over. :rofl:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it was some serious karma for Edith, who had been jilted at the alter, and had a child out of wedlock to end up a bloomin' Marchioness (high social rank between a Dutchess and a Countess) while Mary, the ice queen, all entitled and such, winds up with a used car salesman.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I was thinking it was some serious karma for Edith, who had been jilted at the alter, and had a child out of wedlock to end up a bloomin' Marchioness (high social rank between a Dutchess and a Countess) while Mary, the ice queen, all entitled and such, winds up with a used car salesman.

Jim
Now that's funny!:hysterical:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Oh yeah!

Jim

That was the best of the ending for me! I too thought that Barrow had genuinely repented and changed. I was glad to see him stay where he was best understood.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan and now wondering what to do with the time that will be freed up every Sunday evening until the next series sucks me in. Just a couple of observations:

I couldn't quite buy into Barrow's redemption. He was so vile to so many I couldn't be as forgiving as his colleagues in the servants' hall.
I also found that difficult to believe

And how convenient that Lord Merton was misdiagnosed! Hope he doesn't get run over by one of Henry's cars.
It is near impossible to confuse the two anemia The blood smears would look so different that no one even slightly knowledgeable could mistake them.
Happy that Lord Grantham got a new pup. I predicted he would but didn't think it would be a gift from the Dowager. I hope the new puppy doesn't get run over by one of Henry's cars!
My DW starts every show by cooing "Isis" so yes very glad he got a new dog.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like others, I had wondered whether Michael Gregson would reappear. They never definitely established that he died in Germany.

Somewhat in the same vein, in one of the early seasons, the one in which Downton Abbey was being used as a recovery hospital for soldiers wounded in WW!, there was a person whose face was entirely bandaged who claimed he was a relative (and entitled to some inheritance). One of the daughters thought that there might be some credibility to his claim but Lord Grantham summarily dismissed him as a faker (without proof). I always thought the mysterious person was going to reappear and cause trouble, but he never showed up again.

I wonder if Julian Fellows would have ideas for future complications at times, but then decides not to pursue them as he wrotes later episodes. Some stuff got dropped without full accounting.