• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott opts out of Choose 2

OutAndAbout

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to an Interval International representative as of March 4th, 2016 Marriott has opted out of the Choose 2 program.

Marriott owners can still use Choose 2, but only if the additional week is not a Marriott property.

Choose2

Because 2 is always better than 1
Overview

FAQ

Prior TUG tread

Last edited by a moderator:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting that it came from a rep and there isn't anything in the T&C indicating this. Perhaps this was just a way for the rep to explain away the new increased lack of available inventory on the grid. The specific date does lend some legitimacy to this though. Never can fully trust a reps word, similar to a timeshare sales person. I prefer to see the restrictions in writing.

If this is indeed true, it will be rather disappointing, but perhaps Marriott isn't happy to be having to pay the exchange fee for all the Marriott to Marriott enrolled DC Choose 2s?

Would this limitation just prevent Marriott owners from using Choose 2 in to other Marriott properties, or would it limit any II member from using Choose 2 to go to Marriott properties?

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Geez, that's sad.

Sent from my Kindle...pls forgive errors and brevity

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
This is HUGE if it is true. Makes me think I would likely never trade through II again and just use DC points instead. That may be Marriott's real motive, especially if non-Marriott owners can still use Choose 2 to stay at Marriott properties.

Last edited:

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
The choose 2 program is pretty useless anyway. Every time I have called about availability nothing is available. I still find regular II trades valuable. I would never stop using II just because no more Marriotts under choose 2 program.
Has anyone else noticed that lately most accomondation certificates exclude lots of Marriotts?

Last edited:

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that it came from a rep and there isn't anything in the T&C indicating this. Perhaps this was just a way for the rep to explain away the new increased lack of available inventory on the grid. The specific date does lend some legitimacy to this though. Never can fully trust a reps word, similar to a timeshare sales person. I prefer to see the restrictions in writing.

If this is indeed true, it will be rather disappointing, but perhaps Marriott isn't happy to be having to pay the exchange fee for all the Marriott to Marriott enrolled DC Choose 2s?

Would this limitation just prevent Marriott owners from using Choose 2 in to other Marriott properties, or would it limit any II member from using Choose 2 to go to Marriott properties?

So under DC account still no exchange fee for choose 2 confirmations like it was with XYZ? I swear the rep told me there was a fee.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is HUGE if it is true. Makes me think I would likely never trade through II again and just use DC points instead. That may be Marriott's real motive, especially if non-Marriott owners can still use Choose 2 to stay at Marriott properties.

The choose 2 program is pretty useless anyway. Every time I have called about availability nothing is available. I still find regular II trades valuable. I would never stop using II just because no more Marriotts under choose 2 program.
Has anyone else noticed that lately most accomondation certificates exclude lots of Marriotts?

Like enma, I am not sure that I would stop using II, I simply get too much value out of them vs what I can do with DC points. In most cases we can't use the XYZ/Choose 2s that we have available to us. Mostly because of timing. So I end up asking others if they have available XYZ/Choose 2s and end up giving ours away. I am not sure if I would use Choose 2 to stay at a non Marriott. I suppose it would give us the chance to try out some other systems and/or properties.

So under DC account still no exchange fee for choose 2 confirmations like it was with XYZ? I swear the rep told me there was a fee.

I haven't confirmed a Choose 2 in our account since II switched from XYZ to Choose 2. So it could have changed. I plan to try later this year, if Marriott doesn't opt out. If they do, I will never know. I may just try to confirm one to see, then back out if the bring up the fee or before they actually confirm.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Contrary to some of you, the main value of II trading to me is the XYZ/Choose 2 availability. Without it, I can get much better value from DC points. This may be because I have very high value weeks and get a lot of DC points for them.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Can hardly see anything with one of those deposit ACs. They changed the terms with the new year, or right before they rolled out the Elite status for some Marriott properties. Only makes sense that it wouldn't be available under Choose 2. I'm surprised they were letting it book through Choose2 and not the more powerful ACs.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a way it makes sense. I don't necessarily like the idea that someone with much lower quality resort could stay at Marriott with the choose 2 program. However, I do wish Marriott owners could stay at Marriotts.

OutAndAbout

TUG Member
Reaction score
the main value of II trading to me is the XYZ/Choose 2 availability.
XYZ/Choose 2 can provide a good value when traveling off-peak and to BocaBoy's point, a differentiator in using II over Marriott DC.

Since deposited weeks are II's inventory they are II's weeks rather than Marriott's weeks, although as part of the relationship, I can understand how II would make this concession to Marriott.

Since Choose 2's are based on the grid and off-peak, I am surprised that Marriott would focus on restricting Choose 2 exchanges.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
XYZ/Choose 2 can provide a good value when traveling off-peak and to BocaBoy's point, a differentiator in using II over Marriott DC.

Since deposited weeks are II's inventory they are II's weeks rather than Marriott's weeks, although as part of the relationship, I can understand how II would make this concession to Marriott.

Since Choose 2's are based on the grid and off-peak, I am surprised that Marriott would focus on restricting Choose 2 exchanges.

I can also see II telling Marriott if they want to make both an exchange for each member deposit and a choose 2 available for enrolled DC members then they would have to increase the program fee to cover 2 M to M exchages for each non lockoff and 4 for each lock off.

In general, I think Marriott has the upper hand in the II relationship but loss in Marriott exchange availability paired with the loss in II exchange fee revenue from enrolled DC members may prove too costly to II.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got one in November

Exchange #: 022171522
Exchange
Transaction Date:
Fri, November 06, 2015

Two-for-One Exchange Specials
XYZ

Unit: 1BED (1 bedroom)
Week: 64

Marriott's Grande Vista Resort
MGR

Unit: THGV (Studio)
Week: 14

Sat, April 02, 2016
Sat, April 09, 2016 Confirmed

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I did and did receive a response today confirming this. I am going to reply as I have a couple other questions.

Thank you, appreciate the info. :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Exchange #: 022171522
Exchange
Transaction Date:
Fri, November 06, 2015

Two-for-One Exchange Specials
XYZ

Unit: 1BED (1 bedroom)
Week: 64

Marriott's Grande Vista Resort
MGR

Unit: THGV (Studio)
Week: 14

Sat, April 02, 2016
Sat, April 09, 2016 Confirmed

Yeah, this is before the cutoff and likely before any restriction was thought of. I am not sure yet if this applies to all Marriott inventory for all members. Or if the restriction is only in place for Marriott owners using Choose 2 to confirm in to Marriott properties.

I can understand Marriott or II wanting to restrict people using Choose 2 to effectively get a second week for no exchange fee. It is possible that IIs system can't charge for it even if they wanted to. I recall when I did an XYZ Type 2 a few years ago the rep thought I would have to pay two exchange fees but he said the computer showed no fee. So the fee is programmed in to their system and perhaps it is easier to just place the restriction than to try to change the programming.

It would be interesting to know if this directive came from Marriott or if it is II imposed...

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Only makes sense that it wouldn't be available under Choose 2. I'm surprised they were letting it book through Choose2 and not the more powerful ACs.

I made a lot of bookings in prior years with the XYZ program, and I always personally thought the XYZ's were more powerful that most AC's. They were extremely valuable in my opinion. It has been probably three years, however, since I last used one because I have used DC points recently when I want to trade.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I can also see II telling Marriott if they want to make both an exchange for each member deposit and a choose 2 available for enrolled DC members then they would have to increase the program fee to cover 2 M to M exchages for each non lockoff and 4 for each lock off.

In general, I think Marriott has the upper hand in the II relationship but loss in Marriott exchange availability paired with the loss in II exchange fee revenue from enrolled DC members may prove too costly to II.

It is strange that they are just discovering this now if that is the reason. DC members have gotten free XYZ's since the DC program was introduced over five years ago. Also, if fees are the problem, II and Marriott could agree that all future Choose 2 bookings would incur an exchange fee.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I made a lot of bookings in prior years with the XYZ program, and I always personally thought the XYZ's were more powerful that most AC's. They were extremely valuable in my opinion. It has been probably three years, however, since I last used one because I have used DC points recently when I want to trade.

I too have always considered XYZs to be more powerful than ACs. The fee to exchange is usually or always cheaper than an AC. While both are grid based, the more recent ACs are very restrictive beyond the grid. This new restriction on Choose 2 will make them about as valuable as the ACs.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the chose 2 Marriott ban only for dc members. I am a Marriott weeks only member. Maybe this change doesn't concern me?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is the chose 2 Marriott ban only for dc members. I am a Marriott weeks only member. Maybe this change doesn't concern me?

I sent a follow up email to II to ask this or similar question. I am curious if the restriction only applies to Marriott owners, or if Marriott properties are just plain blocked. The initial answer didn't make it clear. It basically repeated what was mentioned in post #1..

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I emailed them too but from work. If I have a response I will let you know tomorrow, too. Hope all is well for you.

-jim

I sent a follow up email to II to ask this or similar question. I am curious if the restriction only applies to Marriott owners, or if Marriott properties are just plain blocked. The initial answer didn't make it clear. It basically repeated what was mentioned in post #1..

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Oh boy.... I can see this tsunami coming.

Let's wait for the response from Interval. Then, lets 'flash-mob' them with comments and emails "I'm not depositing my Marriott weeks into II unless you restore XYZ" etc... (yeah, yeah, choose 2 whatever)

If we time it right, we can leave them with a Monday-morning inbox full of angry customer responses!!!

maybe we could turn the tide.......:cool:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If anyone's at Grande Ocean now there's an Interval rep there in house. Name is Katrina......she could answer all questions or either find out. She's great!

I'll be there later this week so I can run by too.