• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrade issue St Thomas

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been checking daily online we are leaving Saturday

None online. So I checked availability, and their were two!

I called and sure enough thy were both there. Is this a common occurrence?

PS: first time going there any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

John_and_Val

Reaction score
My wife and I were there in January. Did you get a 1 bed deluxe? If so ask for a corner unit. Also, the restaurant is not overly priced and has great food. We were fortunate enough to get a 1 bed presidential for 3 of the six nights so we were able to cook. There is a good grocery store in red hook (about 10 min away). A little pricey but good quality and everything you will need for your stay. Rum is cheap in St. Thomas....so drink rum!!!! There is a cooler in every room for the pool and they also have a frozen drink maker in every room. So when at Moe's buy your mixers for the rum and just add ice!!!!!!

In regards to transportation. Taxis are 5 bucks to get you to red hook. But you will see these pick-up trucks with a shed top over the cab area. These are called Safaris. They are local transportation and only run in a clockwise direction. Go to the front road of the hotel, and one will come by in about 10 minutes. Jump on and when you get near red hook, hit the little doorbell button above you. The driver will stop and you pay him a buck a person! Then on the way back get a taxi. Saves you a little money.

Recommend New Horizon's for day trips/snorkeling.

Hope this helps

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I were there in January. Did you get a 1 bed deluxe? If so ask for a corner unit. Also, the restaurant is not overly priced and has great food. We were fortunate enough to get a 1 bed presidential for 3 of the six nights so we were able to cook. There is a good grocery store in red hook (about 10 min away). A little pricey but good quality and everything you will need for your stay. Rum is cheap in St. Thomas....so drink rum!!!! There is a cooler in every room for the pool and they also have a frozen drink maker in every room. So when at Moe's buy your mixers for the rum and just add ice!!!!!!

In regards to transportation. Taxis are 5 bucks to get you to red hook. But you will see these pick-up trucks with a shed top over the cab area. These are called Safaris. They are local transportation and only run in a clockwise direction. Go to the front road of the hotel, and one will come by in about 10 minutes. Jump on and when you get near red hook, hit the little doorbell button above you. The driver will stop and you pay him a buck a person! Then on the way back get a taxi. Saves you a little money.

Recommend New Horizon's for day trips/snorkeling.

Hope this helps
We have a car on hold, do we need one? There not cheap on the island?

John_and_Val

Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do.....If you want to explore the island, then yes a car is worth it. The local "tours" are pricey. Roads are tricky there though. Listen, I fished in St.Thomas for a long time and I still get lost!
To me, it is worth the extra money to be able to go out and have a great time with some drinking involved and have someone drive me back. But many people rent cars. Your choice.
Also, bring your passport. Take the trip over to Tortolla......it's the best. And no, St. John is not a passport required island. We own it.....:). Not much to do there but sight see the beaches. If you like to hike though, about half the island is a national park......

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taxi costs add up quickly as they are per person, rates are posted. Having a car if great to go where you want when you want. Suggest a passenger who is looking at a map and helping remind to stay left. Speed limit is 35mph but roads are narrow and curvy.

http://www.vinow.com/stthomas/getting_around_stt/taxi_stt/

John_and_Val

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing.....when you get to the airport, and everyplace you can find the "touristy" magazines.....look hard at the coupons....especially the free drink on at Margaretville. Collect as many as you can. Go back and forth to the pool bar and the bar in the restaurant, use them at dinner, etc. Don't worry.....Jimmy Buffet won't mind!!!!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have used taxi what would the average cost be

John_and_Val

Reaction score
Count on about 25 bucks each way for anywhere but Red Hook. Mountain Top, Charlotte Amalie, other restaurants throughout the island. Never asked but maybe Wyndham arranges places to go?? The number in the resort info is US based so call as you wish.....

Ron2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bonnet Creek Resort and Wyndham CWA
Count on about 25 bucks each way for anywhere but Red Hook. Mountain Top, Charlotte Amalie, other restaurants throughout the island. Never asked but maybe Wyndham arranges places to go?? The number in the resort info is US based so call as you wish.....

Are there many restaurants in Red Hook? Which ones would you recommend?

John_and_Val

Reaction score
Pesce Italiano is very good. Pricey but good. Great food and good wine menu.

Don't underestimate the restaurant at the resort. It has good food at a fair price. Nachos were huge, burgers were great.
Do a owner update.....it is no pressure tour of the rooms and update. They talk about their 'vision' for Margaretville. Free lunch and you can get a 125 credit to the restaurant.....well worth it!!!!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be at Bluebeard's, need good restaurant near there for lunch dinner.

slabeaume

Reaction score
We will be at Bluebeard's, need good restaurant near there for lunch dinner.

You'll be between Charlotte Amalia and REd Hook. There is a pool bar there where you can get burgers and such (at least a few years ago). Not too far from you is Bolongo Bay with Iggy's restaurant, but you can't walk there. Lots of good places in Red Hook---Duffy's, plus across the street by the marina has several restaurants, there's even a Subway in Red. Hook. We went to one place in Charlotte and it was good. I would recommend a car. Just stay on the outter highways of the island. Going up through the mountains on the narrow windy roads is a bit hairy! If you like to snorkel, there's good snorkeling right there at your beach---by the rocks on either side. I have a blog of our trip there (one night at Bluebeards and 8 at Elysian) here:
http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-st-thomas-9-day-vacation-to-island.html
Have fun!!!

BTW---I don't understand the upgrade question. You checked and saw they were available, but not online. Then you called? Where did you check first? Did they give you the upgrade? It could be that the other units aren't Wyndham units and that's why they don't show up online.

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there many restaurants in Red Hook? Which ones would you recommend?

My favorites are Island Time kitchen opens at 5pm, good pizza/calzones, open air w/view of the water/sailboats. XO has good food. Tap and Still has good burgers/fries. There are several others

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count on about 25 bucks each way for anywhere ...
THIS was the big problem we had in St. Thomas, and the reason why we will probably never return. There are so many better places in the Caribbean to go.

St. Thomas is a taxi economy. We were staying at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef (the hotel, not the timeshare) and everywhere we went, it was $20-$25 each way.

We got really tired of factoring in an additional $50 to the cost of each dinner for two adults and one kid!

slabeaume

Reaction score
THIS was the big problem we had in St. Thomas, and the reason why we will probably never return. There are so many better places in the Caribbean to go.

St. Thomas is a taxi economy. We were staying at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef (the hotel, not the timeshare) and everywhere we went, it was $20-$25 each way.

We got really tired of factoring in an additional $50 to the cost of each dinner for two adults and one kid!

As I recall, the Marriott Frenchman's Reef was probably the closest thing to Wyndham Bluebeards Resort.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the Marriott Frenchman's Reef was probably the closest thing to Wyndham Bluebeards Resort.
Yes it is close, on the way back to havensight on the big bend before heading down the hill. I believe we broke even on the rental, and saw things we would not ever seen without a car. One must be a real water junkie to take total advantage. Like the top of the mountain view, phantasea botanical garden as well as the north side of the island.

Best pizza, and very close is Amore pizza at the first traffic light in Havensight.