• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Subway "foot long" Class action suit

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Filing a lawsuit over the length of the bread when the total volume of the sandwich remains the same is silly but not sure they knew that until they got into the nitty gritty. The only alternative in the judgement is the lawyers don't get paid. Since the suit had merit the lawyers should get paid but the customers who got $500 were just pawns so they definitely did not deserve more than they got.

I am not an attorney but who wants to work for free? I know you think the amount is excessive but this was likely many attorneys in many states. I doubt any single attorney got paid much per hour.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
And now footlongs are $6, instead of $5.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I once was party to a lawsuit against Toyota regarding pricing on the Camry. Class action participants got $100 coupon for service at the local dealership. Lawyers got $5.2 MM.

Where is my tuna fish???

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Filing a lawsuit over the length of the bread when the total volume of the sandwich remains the same is silly but not sure they knew that until they got into the nitty gritty. The only alternative in the judgement is the lawyers don't get paid. Since the suit had merit the lawyers should get paid but the customers who got $500 were just pawns so they definitely did not deserve more than they got.

I am not an attorney but who wants to work for free? I know you think the amount is excessive but this was likely many attorneys in many states. I doubt any single attorney got paid much per hour.

It's ludicrous it takes a half a million dollars to find out something that could be done by observing the preparation of a sandwich for one hour in any Subway location.

Cheers

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
And now footlongs are $6, instead of $5.

Around here that was just a special that they had in February. Every classic footlong was $6. The same month that they offered up coupons in our area, which tends to only happen a couple months of the year.

We used to go to Subway more than we do now. They can only slim down the amount of meat in a sub before people quit coming. They now offer the ability to make your sub a deluxe sub for more money. Basically giving you as much meat as you used to get, but for more money.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Around here that was just a special that they had in February. Every classic footlong was $6. The same month that they offered up coupons in our area, which tends to only happen a couple months of the year.

We used to go to Subway more than we do now. They can only slim down the amount of meat in a sub before people quit coming. They now offer the ability to make your sub a deluxe sub for more money. Basically giving you as much meat as you used to get, but for more money.
Yeah, I was mostly joking, but you're right. When it comes down to it, these sandwiches are mostly (calorie-wise) bread, which is the cheapest part.

Crazy thing is its hard to get any quick lunch for less than $10 these days, much less anything "healthy."

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So, the class only included the original complainants.
I thought we might all get coupons for a bag of chips.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
So, the class only included the original complainants.
I thought we might all get coupons for a bag of chips.
Though the article calls it a"class action", from the further description it appears only to be a consolidation of multiple individual actions.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Two words....

Tort reform Tort reform Tort reform

Ok, I repeated it 3 times :ignore:

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
This should have never been a legal case. What a waste of time!

geekette

Reaction score
Yeah, I was mostly joking, but you're right. When it comes down to it, these sandwiches are mostly (calorie-wise) bread, which is the cheapest part.

Crazy thing is its hard to get any quick lunch for less than $10 these days, much less anything "healthy."

WOW, $10???

I often head to grocery store and make my own salad at or less than $4. I have the bottle of dressing at the office so can skip that weight of that. Best part is having exactly what I want on it in quantities I want. This store also has hot deli so I could get panini or fried chicken less than elsewhere and also has an eat-in section.

Extra bonus that I can pick up dog food or coffee or whatever on same stop. One grocery store easy walk from office but I don't like their toppings as well and their soup is not as good so I drive the 3 miles to the one I like.

I do occasionally go to Subway (walkable, same place as near grocery), usually with buy one/get one and save #2 for dinner. I always get a pile of veggies as I agree there is not much meat. I do like the bread, however.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
WOW, $10???

I often head to grocery store and make my own salad at or less than $4. I have the bottle of dressing at the office so can skip that weight of that. Best part is having exactly what I want on it in quantities I want. This store also has hot deli so I could get panini or fried chicken less than elsewhere and also has an eat-in section.

Extra bonus that I can pick up dog food or coffee or whatever on same stop. One grocery store easy walk from office but I don't like their toppings as well and their soup is not as good so I drive the 3 miles to the one I like.

I do occasionally go to Subway (walkable, same place as near grocery), usually with buy one/get one and save #2 for dinner. I always get a pile of veggies as I agree there is not much meat. I do like the bread, however.

We have a lot of food choices near our office, but the Kroger is the furthest option. Though I have at times gone there and got the salad bar. I don't consider the much closer Whole Foods an option. Their salad bar is double the price of Kroger.

If I find myself going for fast food, I tend to go to places with $2 options. I like the fish and fries basket at Long John Silvers for only $1.99. Then I fill out the survey on the receipt and get a free fish and fry when I buy a large drink that costs me $1.92 with tax. If I ever get KFC, I do their survey and get a free Go Cup on my next visit. These options work out better calorie wise and are actually pretty filling for a lunch. Subway is close by too and I go there when I have some $3 6" coupons or they are offering their $2 Customer Appreciation promotions (that they haven't had in a while). I still haven't gone for McDonald's 2 for $2 offer yet.

Subway sometimes has coupons in our area where you buy three 12" subs for $15. I end up eating 6" for dinner and saving the other two 6" pieces for the next two lunches. Wife is the one eating the other half of that deal. It is good that we like the same subs. I won't go to Subway if I have to pay full price. Their subs are not worth full price.

I find myself most days packing my lunch. I have started making my own soups at home and can usually come in under $1 for a lunch. If I take a prepared frozen meal, those are usually around $2-$2.50. I try to avoid that if I can now though.

I pretty much always avoid fast casual places like Five Guys or Chipotle. I certainly don't want to be spending $8-$12 for a lunch.

geekette

Reaction score
I pretty much always avoid fast casual places like Five Guys or Chipotle. I certainly don't want to be spending $8-$12 for a lunch.
Yes, I don't do those, have never been in a Chipotle. Not sure we even have 5 guys. I want to be under $8 for lunch, preferably under $5, courtesy of dollar menus and coupons.

I am on the half hour lunch plan and do like to leave campus just to have a break. I bring in leftovers sometimes but find the day too long without getting in my car midday and thinking about something else for a bit.

To me it's a tradeoff between money and sanity and I figure I can make more money ...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
No Subway in prison, but I am sure they aren't eating a lot of fattening stuff in there either. Prison is not a pleasant place, especially for people convicted of the crimes he commited.

Well...

from article said:
“Jared’s breakfast is usually Frosted Flakes with fruit or oatmeal with cake. He loves ‘cake day’ in the dining hall twice a week and he buys Honey Buns by the box, as well as other pastries, in the commissary on his weekly shopping day,” the prison insider said. “He’s been known to eat an entire box of eight at one sitting!

:eek:

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
(small side wager) Due to his eating habits, or the crime he was convicted of, he won't fulfill his sentence.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
(small side wager) Due to his eating habits, or the crime he was convicted of, he won't fulfill his sentence.

I won't take that bet. :rolleyes:

Cheers