• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cabo San Lucas - Department stores groceries

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I decided I am going to try to do this vacation on the cheap. I was wondering the prices of the department stores I heard there is a walmart in town. I opted to not get a rental car because on my previous thread I was scared to death to hear if you are in a wreck you typically go to jail.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Groceries in Cabo at the large grocery stores are similar in price to US grocery prices. Limes, tortillas and rice are much cheaper and peanut butter and snacks a little higher than the US. Aramburo in town is expensive and OXXOs (like 711s) are reasonable but have a very limited selection.

Walmart has less of a selection and bakery than a Sorianas or Chedrui but all can be reached by inexpensive collectivo buses that at either 12.5 or 15 pesos one way.

AVOID taking a large resort taxi in Cabo as they are very expensive. If you need a a taxi back to your hotel/resort take a white sedan local taxi as they are a lot less than the econo van resort type tourist taxis. All large grocery stores provide a good exchange rate and take credit cards but try to pay in pesos (cash) for the best prices in Cabo.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Groceries in Cabo at the large grocery stores are similar in price to US grocery prices. Limes, tortillas and rice are much cheaper and peanut butter and snacks a little higher than the US. Aramburo in town is expensive and OXXOs (like 711s) are reasonable but have a very limited selection.

Walmart has less of a selection and bakery than a Sorianas or Chedrui but all can be reached by inexpensive collectivo buses that at either 12.5 or 15 pesos one way.

AVOID taking a large resort taxi in Cabo as they are very expensive. If you need a a taxi back to your hotel/resort take a white sedan local taxi as they are a lot less than the econo van resort type tourist taxis. All large grocery stores provide a good exchange rate and take credit cards but try to pay in pesos (cash) for the best prices in Cabo.

Thanks for the response this is good information. We are still considering getting a rental car I am seeing the threads floating around on rental car pricing coming out to be $350 a week but the quotes I am seeing online in cabo are like no more than $1 a day I know this excludes insurance

Now I have to ask because would it be OK to use a credit card that would not charge a conversion fee to use in Cabo. I have several credit cards so I suppose I will have to call my credit card carriers to see which ones if any are free conversion to pesos on purchases

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I have to ask because would it be OK to use a credit card that would not charge a conversion fee to use in Cabo. I have several credit cards so I suppose I will have to call my credit card carriers to see which ones if any are free conversion to pesos on purchases

Capitol One is pretty much the only large bank that charges no foreign transaction fee. It's just 1% anyway on CC purchases. Much less cost than 'Cambios' (money exchanges) on the street. Hardly worth worrying about. Use a debit card for ATM withdrawals, not cash advances on CC. However DO call the CC providers and give them the heads-up that you'll be in Mexico- good time to ask about fees. Then they'll not shut the cards off thinking they've been stolen.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
So I decided I am going to try to do this vacation on the cheap.
Whatever you decide about your transportation options, it would be a good idea check into your timeshare to see what kind of cooking facilities and size of refrigerator/freezer you will have before you go to the store and load up with groceries. Most timeshares do not have ovens so you'll likely have just a microwave and a cooktop. Some have small refrigerators with small freezers.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grocery Stores

There are Wal-Mart, Costco, and Sorianna, also Mega which is my favorite.
Huge selection.

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can use grocery delivery companies like pricklypearscabo or cabogrocerygirls. You shop online and they will deliver them to your door. I never used them before but plan to try either one for next cabo trip. I don't want to deal with rental car in mexico.

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can use grocery delivery companies like pricklypearscabo or cabogrocerygirls. You shop online and they will deliver them to your door. I never used them before but plan to try either one for next cabo trip. I don't want to deal with rental car in mexico.
Thanks for this good info may be worth it

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Capitol One is pretty much the only large bank that charges no foreign transaction fee. It's just 1% anyway on CC purchases. Much less cost than 'Cambios' (money exchanges) on the street. Hardly worth worrying about. Use a debit card for ATM withdrawals, not cash advances on CC. However DO call the CC providers and give them the heads-up that you'll be in Mexico- good time to ask about fees. Then they'll not shut the cards off thinking they've been stolen.

Jim
Cool I have a capital one card that is active I rarely use it

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

geekette

Reaction score
I like Mega a lot, just beware of timeshare sharks in there, pretending to help you find the products you are seeking. We really enjoyed the open air market in the far part of their parking lot.

There is a Costco and we found out the hard way that they do not accept Costco Cash Cards.

For credit cards, call your issuers to see which, if any, skip transaction fee. I would think that preferable to opening new account for just this trip.

Karen's suggestion about checking on kitchen facilities first is very very good advice. You also might check on whether your resort has a small grocery/deli. You'd pay more, but the convenience is nice.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Another vote for Mega. When we went to Cabo, we stayed in Cabo San Jose at the Grand Mayan for 2 weeks - it was just a few blocks from a Mega. We walked there, bought groceries and took a taxi back a couple of times. We have only had a real kitchen with a stove/oven at one resort in Mexico. Most have fairly small refrigerators. Some of the sinks are just larger than a wet bar sink too.

Parking downtown is always challenging. We prefer to take the bus whenever possible when we are in Mexico.

We always us Pesos in Mexico and use a Cap One debit card at a bank ATM to get them. We opened a Cap One online checking account a few years ago just for our vacation money. It works well and does not charge the transaction fees. Many resorts have a bank ATM in their lobby and we use those. You get good rates and it is safe. We do not use generic ATM machines. Banamex, Bancomer, Santar, Scotia, and HSB are the main ones we look for.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The same company (Commercial Mexicana) that owns/operates Mega supermarkets also operated Costco stores in Mexico. Don't be surprised to see a few Kirkland Signature labeled items on shelves. The actual people who work at Mega wear (yellow, I think) vests and will help you find things- timeshare body snatchers don't.

Also, if making a booze run there on a weekend, the liquor/beer/wine sales hours are a little strange. I wasn't able to find them with a quick search. Maybe someone else knows off the top of their head.

If not mentioned upthread, grocery baggers work on tips- they are NOT paid by the store. I give about 5 pesos/bag. The grocery store is also a good place to pick up some extra pesos without any surcharge on your debit card.

Jim