• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lightweight Luggage???

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
My daughter is going on a medical missionary trip to work in a tribal hospital in Papau New Guinea this June. She will become a PA in August and this is her last rotation before graduating :cheer: Her luggage that she uses now is hard sided leopard print and seems kind of small. Since she will be gone for 6 weeks I want to buy her a larger piece and more lightweight since she will be lugging it thru multiple airports all by herself. Can you point me in the right direction for the most lightweight luggage that still has wheels. I know I can google but I prefer recommendations.
Thanks, Laurie

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Patagonia 'Black Hole' bags may be great for this.

60 l model
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/black-hole-duffel-60-liters?p=49341-0

120l model
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/black-hole-duffel-bag-120-liters?p=49351-0

Light / tough / waterproof. Wheeled on the larger models. Great Patagonia product support / warranty / repair.

I'm also a fan of the ones that convert to a full backpack. Mine is karrimor but others make them. No wheels but wheels only work on good surfaces. The backpack makes carrying 23kg much more comfortable.

http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-transit-wheel-suitcase-794034

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/sojourn-convertible-60l-25-SOJOURN25_641.html

Last edited:

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you so much for the recommendation! Maybe a backpack type would be better since she will be in the jungle on mount Hagen. I didn't even think about the terrain that she would be traveling across! :wall:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The lightest, largest convertible backpack I know of is this Rick Steves item. https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack/ 2.7 lbs. light. Holds as much as my 24" Delsey roller. It's available with wheels, but is a bit smaller, and heavier. I have this bag and find it well made. This is the bag that Rick Steves lives out of for 6 weeks each summer filming his TV show.

Jim

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I've just thrown away a Delsey 24" because, even though it has never been checked--always been carried on, it's coming apart at the seams. There may be some sort of guarantee on it; I don't know--but I no longer have any documentation on having bought it/when/etc., and probably wouldn't fool with trying to get them to do something about it if I did.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our younger dd took a 7 week trip through Europe last summer. She was taking trains and wanted something she could carry around pretty easily. She ended up with an Osprey. She tried it out at REI, then ordered it online, possibly through eBags. What she liked was that you could attach a smaller day pack to the front and just carry the one piece.

I'm not sure if this is the one, but it's very similar.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/porter-65-PORTER65_550.html

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the recommendation! Maybe a backpack type would be better since she will be in the jungle on mount Hagen. I didn't even think about the terrain that she would be traveling across! :wall:
I attached a couple more links on the convertible packs.
Our younger dd took a 7 week trip through Europe last summer. She was taking trains and wanted something she could carry around pretty easily. She ended up with an Osprey. She tried it out at REI, then ordered it online, possibly through eBags. What she liked was that you could attach a smaller day pack to the front and just carry the one piece.

I'm not sure if this is the one, but it's very similar.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/porter-65-PORTER65_550.html
And one of the links I just saw was the osprey sojourn. Looks good.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I attached a couple more links on the convertible packs.

And one of the links I just saw was the osprey sojourn. Looks good.

The Osprey dd used didn't have wheels. She opted for one without. I think she felt it would be easier to carry, as a backpack, without the wheels.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Osprey dd used didn't have wheels. She opted for one without. I think she felt it would be easier to carry, as a backpack, without the wheels.
My Karrimor does not have wheels either. Like you say pros and cons to both.

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone :hi: Tuggers are always SO helpful! I am sending my Kelsey all these links so she can pick out something. She is still leaning toward a version with wheels.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
IT luggage brand, very lite, durable and affordable.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks everyone :hi: Tuggers are always SO helpful! I am sending my Kelsey all these links so she can pick out something. She is still leaning toward a version with wheels.

As I mentioned my dd tried out the backpack at REI before she decided what she wanted.

Your daughter might want to decide how much rolling, vs carrying, she'll be doing. The wheel mechanism will add weight to the bag, as well as could be uncomfortable when it's used as a backpack. If she thinks she'll be using it more as a rolling bag, then the wheels would be beneficial. If she's going to be in area where it won't wheel well (uneven streets, etc) then a bag with no wheels might work better.

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you everyone. Great suggestions!

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
For backpacks, look carefully at the security of the zippers. In a crowded area, thieves can easily unzip a pocket(s) and remove your stuff from behind your back. One remedy is to take a bundle of small plastic tie straps and use them on pockets which have two zippers. Connect the two zippers together to fend off pick pockets.

Here's one sold by Rick Steves:

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/flight-locks

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For backpacks, look carefully at the security of the zippers. In a crowded area, thieves can easily unzip a pocket(s) and remove your stuff from behind your back. ]

I use zip-ties too when I run short of TSA locks. The problem is needing something sharp enough to cut them.

One tactic you see in large European cities where pickpockets work (Barcelona comes to mind) is people wearing their backpacks on their front. Looks kinda weird, but nobody will open a zipper and reach in.

Jim

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use zip-ties too when I run short of TSA locks. The problem is needing something sharp enough to cut them...

I carry a fingernail clipper which is stout enough to easily cut thru the plastic.

I also had an interesting situation on the Metro in Paris. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and told me one of the zippers was open on my back pack. Wow! I could so easily been had!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I just heard on the Today show that March is a great month to buy, and get deals on, luggage. :D

crew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard on the Today show that March is a great month to buy, and get deals on, luggage. :D

Tumi has a 25% off sale starting in March. Not sure of the exact date, but if you can afford it, this is an excellent sale.