• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI- Give me your two cents, please

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We LOVE our travels; having timeshares has MADE us get up and get out of the house since 2002 when we bought our first. But every January I turn into a screaming maniac as I shuffle $10K+ in DRI maintenance fees between credit cards. We've tried to look at the SUBSTANTIAL out lay of cash for purchases as money gone and under the bridge, and have tried to determine if we are getting $10K of travel from the $10K of maintenance fees. The last two years we've bought Viking River Cruises and hotel stays in New York and Boston with points becoming cash refunds, but realistically we've decided we can do quite a bit with the cash we'll save on just biting the bullet and relinquishing some points.

We are semi-retired (mostly because we are gone so much) and in two years when my husband turns 80 I want us fully retired. At the point we stop working we absolutely cannot deal with the maintenance fees the way they are, and I'm also thinking ahead to when either or both of us have physical limitations that make traveling more difficult.

Just in the last few days we have started to do some research on getting rid of some of our DRI points, maybe selling them for $1 on eBay, or having someone like Timeshare Exit Team negotiate us out of our contract(s). I joined TUG to do research at about the same time my husband called Diamond to try to get an understanding of how the maintenance fees work between the Hawaii & US Collections. The person my husband was speaking with mentioned the Loss Mitigation department in response to "do you ever take points back?" I came to TUG and was pointed at the thread on points take-back. We just emailed a request to relinquish all our DRI US points last night and have received a ticket number. If that works out, it sounds easy-peasy.

We have two "lumps" of US points (24500 + 12500) and three lumps of Hawaii points (3000 + 10000 + 11500). Best we can tell each group of points corresponds to purchases we made during presentations. We thought to get rid of the 37000 US points, leaving our Hawaii points intact. We love going to Kaanapali and do so each year, and go almost every year to Scottsdale, Sedona and Santa Fe as well. And we stay at the Royal Regency outside Paris about every three years. (We also own Worldmark, which we love, and are constantly borrowing points against the coming year because we use the heck out of it).

I just thought I'd throw our circumstances out there in case someone "see's something" in our situation that would make one course of action or another better for us. FYI, we have no mortgage on the points and paid 2016 maintenance fees, we have about 19K points left for 2016, have pending hotel stays in Boston and NY in May that I assume are "safe" from Diamond wanting/needing to take them back since they wrote us a check for them, and we have already booked Kaanapali for a week in January 2017. My reading here tells me we will be forfeiting the rest of our 2016 points.

Comments/suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We LOVE our travels; having timeshares has MADE us get up and get out of the house since 2002 when we bought our first. But every January I turn into a screaming maniac as I shuffle $10K+ in DRI maintenance fees between credit cards. We've tried to look at the SUBSTANTIAL out lay of cash for purchases as money gone and under the bridge, and have tried to determine if we are getting $10K of travel from the $10K of maintenance fees. The last two years we've bought Viking River Cruises and hotel stays in New York and Boston with points becoming cash refunds, but realistically we've decided we can do quite a bit with the cash we'll save on just biting the bullet and relinquishing some points.

We are semi-retired (mostly because we are gone so much) and in two years when my husband turns 80 I want us fully retired. At the point we stop working we absolutely cannot deal with the maintenance fees the way they are, and I'm also thinking ahead to when either or both of us have physical limitations that make traveling more difficult.

Just in the last few days we have started to do some research on getting rid of some of our DRI points, maybe selling them for $1 on eBay, or having someone like Timeshare Exit Team negotiate us out of our contract(s). I joined TUG to do research at about the same time my husband called Diamond to try to get an understanding of how the maintenance fees work between the Hawaii & US Collections. The person my husband was speaking with mentioned the Loss Mitigation department in response to "do you ever take points back?" I came to TUG and was pointed at the thread on points take-back. We just emailed a request to relinquish all our DRI US points last night and have received a ticket number. If that works out, it sounds easy-peasy.

We have two "lumps" of US points (24500 + 12500) and three lumps of Hawaii points (3000 + 10000 + 11500). Best we can tell each group of points corresponds to purchases we made during presentations. We thought to get rid of the 37000 US points, leaving our Hawaii points intact. We love going to Kaanapali and do so each year, and go almost every year to Scottsdale, Sedona and Santa Fe as well. And we stay at the Royal Regency outside Paris about every three years. (We also own Worldmark, which we love, and are constantly borrowing points against the coming year because we use the heck out of it).

I just thought I'd throw our circumstances out there in case someone "see's something" in our situation that would make one course of action or another better for us. FYI, we have no mortgage on the points and paid 2016 maintenance fees, we have about 19K points left for 2016, have pending hotel stays in Boston and NY in May that I assume are "safe" from Diamond wanting/needing to take them back since they wrote us a check for them, and we have already booked Kaanapali for a week in January 2017. My reading here tells me we will be forfeiting the rest of our 2016 points.

DRI has been accepting deedbacks for a low fee, I think $250 per contract. There is a very long thread about it here.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score

I gave my two fixed weeks at Williamsburg back to DRI last year for the $250 fee each. Painless and gone. The maintenance fees have skyrocketed since i aquired them in 2003. Between the two the mf went from $800 to $3000. I was estatic to unload them. Originally i could easily rent them for a small profit. However you can no longer compete with RCI for price.