• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott just waived on our 3BR Grande Vista Gold

spookykennedy

Reaction score
We are so excited! After many years of trading into Marriotts successfully it seems to be harder and harder without Marriott preference. We love the Grande Vista and will probably use it or part of it every 3 years or so.

We plan to use it to trade into Marriott Maui Ocean Club where we have stayed several times. We always go in December before Christmas which I believe is low season. Right now we really only need a 1BR because our 2 girls can share the pull out bed, but if we used the entire 3BR could we possibly get a 2BR? Are there many 2BRs in the original towers that ever make it to II?

Any other tips other than depositing early?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was the price? I wonder if they are starting to pull back on ROFR's. I had a Willow Ridge unit pass recently that would not have passed for double the amount a year ago.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just shows that ROFR is unpredictible. I thought I read that someone had a 2BR Grande Vista Platinum fail at $6500. I would think the 2BR plat and 3BR gold are about the same point levels.

Great buy.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We plan to use it to trade into Marriott Maui Ocean Club.....Are there many 2BRs in the original towers that ever make it to II?
There are some, but not a lot in either the original section or the new section. People are much more likely to split their units and deposit either one or both halves, and those in the DC program are much more likely to exchange for points because the point values in Maui are so high. Having said that, with a 3BR deposit I think you would have a better chance than most people to get one of the 2BR units available in II.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
There are some, but not a lot in either the original section or the new section. People are much more likely to split their units and deposit either one or both halves, and those in the DC program are much more likely to exchange for points because the point values in Maui are so high. Having said that, with a 3BR deposit I think you would have a better chance than most people to get one of the 2BR units available in II.

Would it be possible for me to split my unit, get 2 trades, then combine into a 2BR? I know that involves more fees but just wondering if its possible in theory?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Would it be possible for me to split my unit, get 2 trades, then combine into a 2BR? I know that involves more fees but just wondering if its possible in theory?

I've had excellent success trading a full 2BR and getting a 1BR unit at MOC, even in prime season, and I usually get a 1BR MG view in the original building. So no doubt your 2BR will get you a 1BR.

I do not know if the GV Studio will have enough juice to get the missing Studio at MOC. Depending on when you are traveling (ie, off-season?), it could and depending on the view category (and assuming both are in same building), you have a good chance of them combining the rooms for you. But it's not a slam dunk -- there are many variables --- different views/buildings/check-in days.

Years back, we had a very colorful TUGger named PerryM who loved to do this -- he had a 2BR at Summit Watch (Gold) and he would trade the 1BR for a 1BR and a Studio for a Studio, and get a 2BR at MOC. It's not as easy as he made it sound, but it is definitely possible.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Greg

spookykennedy

Reaction score
I've had excellent success trading a full 2BR and getting a 1BR unit at MOC, even in prime season, and I usually get a 1BR MG view in the original building. So no doubt your 2BR will get you a 1BR.

I do not know if the GV Studio will have enough juice to get the missing Studio at MOC. Depending on when you are traveling (ie, off-season?), it could and depending on the view category (and assuming both are in same building), you have a good chance of them combining the rooms for you. But it's not a slam dunk -- there are many variables --- different views/buildings/check-in days.

Years back, we had a very colorful TUGger named PerryM who loved to do this -- he had a 2BR at Summit Watch (Gold) and he would trade the 1BR for a 1BR and a Studio for a Studio, and get a 2BR at MOC. It's not as easy as he made it sound, but it is definitely possible.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Greg

Thanks it does!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon

A Perry reference..That's enough to get me out of hibernation!!!!

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In my limited experience, those studios frequently appear online. I think you could pull off the confirm separately and combine trick. I don't know if this applies to MOC but if there are different views available, you'd have to be sure and have the same view for both pieces.

Congrats on a good purchase!

Deb

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Remember, once you've 'anchored' in MOC with the 2br, you can use that studio to flex into anything. You would be amazed at what pops up at 59, 45, 30, 10, 2 1. And, you may have M. Pref working for you when you least expect it!

really.

Good luck and congrats.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
Remember, once you've 'anchored' in MOC with the 2br, you can use that studio to flex into anything. You would be amazed at what pops up at 59, 45, 30, 10, 2 1. And, you may have M. Pref working for you when you least expect it!

really.

Good luck and congrats.

Thank you! It will be a new experience to search with Marriott preference for sure.