• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transferring a timeshare [Diamond Resorts]

JK723

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for some help. In October 2015 we started the process of transferring our Diamond Resorts timeshare to another owner. All paperwork was handled by LT Transfers and that paperwork was received by Diamond on December 14, 2015 and forwarded to their transfer department on December 24, 2015. I was originally told the transfer would be finalized in a couple weeks, then that turned into a couple months but should "definitely" be completed by the end of February 2016. Today (2-23-16) I am being told it could take up to a year. I have made countless telephone calls to Diamond and no one can give me ANY status update. I have contacted their Inventory Dept via email and now have (3) unanswered emails (or "tickets numbers" as Diamond refers to them). I have also tried to reach the Financial Services Dept of Diamond to find out about the Maint & Tax payment that was due on January 1, 2016 when the transfer should have been completed into the new owners name and therefore their responsibility to make the payment. When I tell you I cannot get anyone to help or respond I am not kidding. I am at the end of my rope and don't know if I need to get a lawyer involved. Does anyone have any advice they can offer as to how long this should actually take and if it is in my best interest to hire a lawyer to finish this? I should also mention that LT Transfers did a wonderful job with their part of this process, and when I questioned them recently why it was taking so long for Diamond to complete their paperwork they were surprised and tried to help.....they have also received NO response from Diamond after two attempts to contact them.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have felt your pain. Diamond is the absolute worst. From what I understand they let 3rd party transfers pile up with no big effort to get them done. Mine took about 9 months or so from the deed recording date to transfer.

Mine got worse though because I was the buyer and I ended up with something that I did not agree to purchase. It took another 11 months to get it transferred back out of my name. I will never intentionally touch another Diamond timeshare again but I didn't even purchase a Diamond property. They took over what I was buying after I purchased it but before the transfer.

Last edited:

AriMorgan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of all the transfers we do Diamond by far is the longest to transfer and you can't just call and get an answer as to why. Everything is done in a spreadsheet and updated monthly. Most of our transfers take 6 months so just hang in there.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know that anyone here in the TUG community can wave a magic wand and do anything to expedite DRI's doing what they are obligated to do. They are rapidly (in my view) getting nearly as bad as Westgate when it comes to tramping on owners' rights, raising prices, dragging their heels at processing resale deeds and forcing people into 'owners' updates.'

I hope the OP feels better after venting, but don't know that it will help anything.

Jim

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not hire a lawyer to handle any of it. They would quickly bill you for more than the maintenance fees with only a few phones calls and letters. Not much you can do but wait it out but I would also plan on handling the reservations for the new owners. You do not want the usage to go to waste and somebody is going to have to pay that maintenance fee associated with the usage. Have the new owner pay the fee directly in exchange for making the reservation or exchange.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have had Wyndham transfers take 6 mos., so this really is not outside the normal range, but it is frustrating.

Three things:

Why haven't they sent you the maintenance fee bill as usual? Why did you have to call? Be sure that gets paid, because if it's not, it will slow down the process even more.

Keep bugging them with calls, emails, even letters. The squeaky wheel gets greased.

LT Transfers is very good and they will continue to help you with this - I'd rely on their advice.

Last edited:

JK723

Reaction score
I have had Wyndham transfers take 6 mos., so this really is not outside the normal range, but it is frustrating.

Three things:

Why haven't they sent you the maintenance fee bill as usual? Why did you have to call? Be sure that gets paid, because if it's not, it will slow down the process even more.

Keep bugging them with calls, emails, even letters. The squeaky wheel gets greased.

LT Transfers is very good and they will continue to help you with this - I'd rely on their advice.
Hi Denise:

Hello Denise. They did send me a maintenance and tax bill. Originally I was told by Diamond that as long as they received the transfer paperwork by the end of 2015 the M&T would be the responsibility of the new owners. When I received the M&T bill I tried to contact Diamonds financial services department, left a voicemail and I got no response. I have subsequently tried contacting them...again, no response. Meanwhile, Mary @ LT Transfers told me NOT to pay that bill and that should would forward the bill to the new owners to pay it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I misunderstood - I thought you hadn't received the bill. Good luck!

Bill4728

Reaction score
There is another wrinkle with DRI transfers.

DRI takes all this years pts from the current owner so only pts of the next year go to the new owner.

SO if the OP has pts which are good from Jan 2016-Dec 2016 those pts will be taken by DRI and not transfered to the new owner. Therefore the MFs should be paid by the OP The only way that DRI does not take the pts if they are used. That means the reservations are out of DRI control. So used for a II exchange works BUT used for a pending DRI reservation doesn't.

Sorry

Last edited:

JK723

Reaction score
There is another wrinkle with DRI transfers.

DRI takes all this years pts from the current owner so only pts of the next year go to the new owner.

SO if the OP has pts which are good from Jan 2016-Dec 2016 those pts will be taken by DRI and not transfered to the new owner. Therefore the MFs should be paid by the OP The only way that DRI does not take the pts if they are used. That means the reservations are out of DRI control. So used for a II exchange works BUT used for a pending DRI reservation doesn't.

Sorry
Thank you Bill.

It is frustrating since I have been told sooo many different things since I started this transfer. I actually thought I did a good job trying to get answers to my questions before we even started this process. But one step after the other each and every thing I have been told has been contradicted by the next person I speak to.

My fear in paying the M&T was that we would make the payment for January 2016 and then the new owners would get their bill for M&T (which would be two payments to Diamond for the same unit during the same time period).

When I was originally told by DIAMOND that the 2016 M&T would be the responsibility of the new owner, I believed them. When I was told by LT Transfers not to make the payment I believed them.

I don't mind making the payment, I just don't think it would be right for Diamond to receive two M&T payments for the same property in the same year.

I do have a question regarding your statement "if the OP has pts which are good from Jan 2016-Dec 2016 those pts would be taken by DRI and not transferred to the new owner." What does that mean? Are you saying that if we had a week availability starting January 2016 that week is taken by Diamond, not given to the new owner, and not able to be used by us?

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm saying that any pts or weeks unused at the time of the transfer of ownership is forfeited to DRI. The new owner gets only the use of the 2017 pts (or week) So, if you had 3000 DRI pts ( or a week ) to use in 2016 IF you do not use them ( not just make a reservation) DRI takes them and does not give them to the new owner.

FYI I'm 99 % sure of this BUT I could be wrong.

If you use your pts (or your week) for an II exchange DRI is not able to undo that. SO if you wish to sell this years usage to the new owner I'd suggest using II as a way of doing that.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some of my highlights:

Congrats you bought a timeshare week with free usage!

Diamond has taken over your resort and will process your transfer.

...9 months later...DRI says you own a legacy week unit, no fees owed, make reservation now!

*books reservation*

*uses two hours of day use*

You own a points club week, book your reservation now!

But I already made a legacy reservation for the same year!

I see that sir but that is impossible because you cannot book a legacy week!

...4 months later...You have a past due maint fee bill of ~$1,900! Pay it now! (2 years of maint & club dues plus late fees)

How is that possible??

Oops sorry maybe someone processed the transfer as a legacy week, then changed it to a points week, then finance came in behind and added the past due fees...

You have been sent to collections!!!

11 more months later transfer reversed...

Good riddance! No more DRI again ever!

If they had not processed the transfer out of my name I would have filed a lawsuit before the 1 year mark.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm saying that any pts or weeks unused at the time of the transfer of ownership is forfeited to DRI. The new owner gets only the use of the 2017 pts (or week) So, if you had 3000 DRI pts ( or a week ) to use in 2016 IF you do not use them ( not just make a reservation) DRI takes them and does not give them to the new owner.

FYI I'm 99 % sure of this BUT I could be wrong.

If you use your pts (or your week) for an II exchange DRI is not able to undo that. SO if you wish to sell this years usage to the new owner I'd suggest using II as a way of doing that.

I bought a DRI deeded week late in 2014. The seller had already paid the 2015 MF. After the transfer completed in Feb 2015, I was able to book, and then use a week in October. I'm not sure what would happen with points in a collection, but deeded weeks unused by the seller can transfer to the new owner.