• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Internet at Sea: 7 Things You Need to Know

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Internet at Sea: 7 Things You Need to Know - from Cruise Critic: Your Ultimate Cruise Guide/ cruisecritic.com

"Remember a time when cruising truly meant getting away from it all? Blissfully unaware of work piling up at the office, no cell phones buzzing with messages or computers cluttering up luggage, the cruiser simply tuned out and kicked back. Those blissful days are not so long ago; Norwegian Sky was the first cruise ship to feature an Internet cafe when it debuted in 1999.

But times have changed, and the Internet has become such a huge part of our lives that many of us can barely go 15 minutes -- much less a week at sea -- without checking email and texts. For those for whom being disconnected is unbearable, the good news is that Internet access at sea is a reality with Wi-Fi available on virtually all seagoing cruise ships (with the exception of a few barebones expedition ships). Even better news? With two of the industry's biggest players investing millions of dollars in communication infrastructures -- on land, on ships and in the sky via satellites -- more passengers are finding Wi-Fi service and prices more akin to what they are used to finding on land. There are still plenty of ships with spotty, slow and expensive service, but they are no longer the norm..."

internet-at-sea-hero.jpg

Richard

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We went on a Princess cruise last October and the lowest cost wi-fi package was $60 for 100 minutes of connection time. Of course, connections were really slow during peak periods. I'd wait until late at night, download my email, disconnect, write all the replies, and connect again to upload. Forget trying to do much else. I hope the competition will drive Princess to lower their rates, because otherwise we liked the cruise.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We went on a Princess cruise last October and the lowest cost wi-fi package was $60 for 100 minutes of connection time. Of course, connections were really slow during peak periods. I'd wait until late at night, download my email, disconnect, write all the replies, and connect again to upload. Forget trying to do much else. I hope the competition will drive Princess to lower their rates, because otherwise we liked the cruise.

We just got back from a Princess cruise. We opted NOT to get the internet package, or to use internet at all during the 7 day cruise. And guess what, we survived. :D

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
When we went on a Carnival cruise several years ago I started a 'thread' on the Carnival forum for who is on board. http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

Cruisers can access the forum for free from your computer while on board. I created a unique title & let our kids/family know the title of our 'thread' on the website. Each day I could post what we saw/did and the kids could reply. We were able to get updates on my father-in-law who was hospitalized just before we left on vacation. We had no internet charges at all from using that forum! :banana:

~Diane

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
How could we survive without cell phones or the net?
Without that connection, you are truly alone in the world.
You begin to doubt your own existence.

Last edited: