• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help ending a contract that is in collections

cafox1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello to all, I am new here. I have one timeshare which is WorldMark and I do love it. I have another that I got with my sister and a friend. We were all suppose to pay a third of the cost and I did pay mine but they did not. The timeshare is now in collections and we have tried contacting the timeshare which is Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach but they keep giving us the run around. I know we signed a contract and now I am paying for it, but how can I end this nightmare?
I have seen the treads on here about all the companies like Mexican Timeshare Solutions being scams. So I would like to know how can I get out of this contract to get this taken off my TRW report.
Please let me know if there is a company that can help me get out of this situation or do I need to get a lawyer.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No magic beans, no pixie dust...

Hello to all, I am new here. I have one timeshare which is WorldMark and I do love it. I have another that I got with my sister and a friend. We were all suppose to pay a third of the cost and I did pay mine but they did not. The timeshare is now in collections and we have tried contacting the timeshare which is Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach but they keep giving us the run around. I know we signed a contract and now I am paying for it, but how can I end this nightmare?
I have seen the treads on here about all the companies like Mexican Timeshare Solutions being scams. So I would like to know how can I get out of this contract to get this taken off my TRW report.
Please let me know if there is a company that can help me get out of this situation or do I need to get a lawyer.
Thank you in advance.

No lawyer breathing air can somehow magically extract you from a lawful, voluntarily executed contract. Lawyers are attorneys at law, not magicians.

You haven't indicated any figures or balances, but your choices are relatively few in any case. You can either pay off the remaining note balance to satisfy the debt, or you can just ignore any collections efforts, default and just let them ultimately cancel the RTU contract for non-payment, which may or may not subsequently result in a credit report "ding" if it's a Mexico-based entity.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You could try to give it away here on TUG in the Bargain Deals forum, or you could post on the Pueblo Bonito Owners Page on Facebook.

In order to give it away, you will have a better chance if it is free and clear with no mortgage and the current maintenance fees are paid. You might also offer to pay the transfer fee.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have another that I got with my sister and a friend. We were all suppose to pay a third of the cost and I did pay mine but they did not. The timeshare is now in collections and we have tried contacting the timeshare which is Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach........... I know we signed a contract and now I am paying for it, but how can I end this nightmare?

This is truly a spot between a rock and a hard place. I suppose it's too late for a lesson in entering into contracts with 'friends'. Friends like these, we all don't need.

It's doubtful that this collections situation came about unannounced. Someone got notice. What was done when these notices started coming in? Was there some 'get together' of this little group of 'friends' to address this little problem? Is this dig in your TRW credit report just on yours or are you and your friends sharing this too?

Unpleasant as it may be, you probably SHOULD take your friends into small claims court to entice them to pay their agreed portion of this debt. For this you don't need a lawyer. Once they pay up, and you become current, there might be a chance that Pueblo Bonito MIGHT (I really can't speak for them) forgive the remainder of the debt in exchange for what has already been paid and cancel the contract. Or at that point, you or one of the other partners in this group might want to take it over after the rest get their names off the contract.

In short, there is no easy way to 'end this nightmare'. No lawyer, no Viking ship outfit, no charity, no magic wand to make it 'go away'.

This is a painful lesson in who to enter into contracts with, but one that I suspect will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Jim

cafox1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is not us not wanting to work something out with Pueblo Bonito, it is them giving us the run around. We have been trying to talk to them for the past 3 years. They kept telling us they didn't speak english very well and wouldn't give a balance to pay it off when it first went into collections. Even after we found someone to translate to them, they still would not give a payoff amount. Need to know how to deal with them not wanting to give a payoff amount to get this resolved. Would going to the resort help? Before it went into collections the balance was just over $3,100. If I take the hit of never paying them, how long before I can get this off my credit report? It is showing as a ding in my credit report. I am a locale government worker, can they garnish my wages for not paying? Yes it is just on my credit report, not on the other two. During the refinance of my home, the mortgage company tried sending the balance owed ($3100 which shows on my credit report) to the collection agency Concord to pay it off but they wouldn't accept the check. Pueblo Bonito won't give us the payoff balance to pay Concord, that is the only reason why I asked about the lawyer. Just trying to get a payoff amount to end this.
Thank you for all the responses.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Before it went into collections the balance was just over $3,100. If I take the hit of never paying them, how long before I can get this off my credit report? It is showing as a ding in my credit report. I am a locale government worker, can they garnish my wages for not paying? Yes it is just on my credit report, not on the other two. During the refinance of my home, the mortgage company tried sending the balance owed ($3100 which shows on my credit report) to the collection agency Concord to pay it off but they wouldn't accept the check. Pueblo Bonito won't give us the payoff balance to pay Concord, that is the only reason why I asked about the lawyer. Just trying to get a payoff amount to end this.
Thank you for all the responses.

Since it is normal that if something goes into collections, you are told you need to pay $XX to close the collection account, I don't understand how it could be in collections and you have no idea what you need to pay. If the collection company doesn't know how much they are supposed to charge you, they aren't doing their job or it isn't really in collections.

I'm not even sure where you'd find a lawyer who be able to get the answers for you. It's an international contract. Would you end up paying $300. + per hour for a lawyer to look into this for you? Maybe you can just hire a lawyer in Mexico.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can't garnish wages unless there is a judgement from an American court to do so. That would require abiding by 'Fair Credit Act' rules. Including written notification of what you owe, and the remedy (payoff) to become current. Where is this 'Concord' outfit? I'm going out on a limb here and suggest that you actually owe BOTH Concord who probably bought the contract from Pueblo Bonito, AND Pueblo Bonito itself for annual maintenance fees.

If it helps, you have the right to include a letter to TRW explaining any negative credit report. That might be a place to start.

Good Luck!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Try the official Pueblo Bonito Owners page.It is monitored by PB and you should hear from someone if you post your experience of being unable to get the payoff balance.

Also, since you are still an owner you should be able to join the other Facebook page if you send a friend request.

cafox1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just contacted a credit counseling hotline for the federal government. They told me to find out who the bank/realtor is on the contract. I just read over it and it doesn't list any banking/realtor institution here in the US to try to resolve the matter with. So I will go with the other option they gave which is to contact the credit agencies to file a complaint with them about not being able to resolve this matter. Let's see what Concord tells experion, and transunion.

cafox1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could this fall off my credit report after so many years. I know it showed on experion credit report, but now they say it's not there. I am applying for a refinance of my other timeshare to see if it shows up on my credit still.

cafox1974

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice everyone, I guess it did drop off my credit January 1st and I just didn't know it yet. I have learned my lesson, but it wasn't that bad. I was still able to buy 2 new cars and 2 new motorcycles with it on my credit.