• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP! Did we do the right thing?

Mduckpf24

Reaction score
My husband and I attended a time share presentation on Wednesday in Nashville at the Wyndham resort. While we were prepared to say no, of course after haggling for nearly seven hours, we walked away with a shiny new time share. I have done my fair share of research, and was aware that it was much cheaper to buy resale. However, we were offered OVP stock for 183/1000 with a total of 105,000 points. In addition, they told us that since the previous owner had an additional 295,000 points and was VIP, we could have that as well for two years. We also received the last call option for RCI, because the previous owner had paid the 12 grand to obtain that perk. My husband and I are newly married, so we saw the additional points as a great way to travel before we have kids. Did we make the wrong decision? We want to make sure we aren't screwed in a couple years. :shrug:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
My husband and I attended a time share presentation on Wednesday in Nashville at the Wyndham resort. While we were prepared to say no, of course after haggling for nearly seven hours, we walked away with a shiny new time share. I have done my fair share of research, and was aware that it was much cheaper to buy resale. However, we were offered OVP stock for 183/1000 with a total of 105,000 points. In addition, they told us that since the previous owner had an additional 295,000 points and was VIP, we could have that as well for two years. We also received the last call option for RCI, because the previous owner had paid the 12 grand to obtain that perk. My husband and I are newly married, so we saw the additional points as a great way to travel before we have kids. Did we make the wrong decision? We want to make sure we aren't screwed in a couple years. :shrug:

If you are asking if you made a wrong decision, you did.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
99% of the time, the answer to your title question will be "no" on this forum, even without reading the explanation.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should probably rescind. These memberships are available resale for pretty small money, and ALL RCI memberships include access to Last Calls. It is my understanding (I don't own Wyndham) that while VIP status has some benefits, they are not worth the high cost of buying from the developer.

You should stuck around TUG and learn from others. The 'deal' you got will always be available, if it turns out to be a good thing. It won't.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I attended a time share presentation on Wednesday in Nashville at the Wyndham resort. While we were prepared to say no, of course after haggling for nearly seven hours, we walked away with a shiny new time share. VERY common tactic ... wore you down ... get the signature ... leaving you shell shocked ...

I have done my fair share of research, and was aware that it was much cheaper to buy resale. However, we were offered OVP stock for 183/1000 with a total of 105,000 points.Resale is WAY CHEAPER!

In addition, they told us that since the previous owner had an additional 295,000 points and was VIP, we could have that as well for two years. TOTALLY LIES .. Bull crap ... look for threads here on BONUS POINTS given when buying developer points.

We also received the last call option for RCI, because the previous owner had paid the 12 grand to obtain that perk."Last calls" are included with ANY RCI Membership ... NOT A PERK and the $12,000 like it was a REAL BENEFIT

My husband and I are newly married, so we saw the additional points as a great way to travel before we have kids. Did they show you pictures of their vacations at Wyndham properties? Of just of the spouse and/or kids? Painting the picture; drawing the "mark" in, placing you as this is GREAT for you and YOUR FUTURE!

Did we make the wrong decision? YES... impulse buy with a 15 year costs to pay and WAY TOO MUCH money"

We want to make sure we aren't screwed in a couple years. :shrug:

In a couple of years? ... you are just screwed until you rescind ... whatever payment they show you ... is the funds to buy your first HOME for your family and your future. Buying a timeshare is a luxury ... not an investment in your education for a job promotion or a house to move your family into.

TODAY ... rescind .. don't wait another minute. You might get in a car accident and be in a coma in the hospital and LOSE you opportunity to cancel this purchase .. there are NO DO OVERS on this type of purchase.

Mduckpf24

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much! Any tips on rescinding? Our contract says ten days? Also one of our dream trips is Australia. Any tips on how to get there?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do whatever Vacactionhopeful says. She owns a huge amount of Wyndham and uses the product on a regular basis and knows what she is talking about.

You don't need a timeshare to go to Australia. If you have a timeshare, you are stuck with whatever you can exchange your timeshare for. If you don't have one, you can book anything you want.

Mduckpf24

Reaction score
The purchaser cancellation clause says: You may cancel a contract to purchase a time-share interval within ten days from the date of this contract, where you have made an onsite inspection of the time share project before signing the contract AND if you have not made such inspection within 15 days of the contract. If you elect to cancel you may hand deliver notice to seller at blah bla blah or by mailing notice to the seller by prepaid US Mail postmarked in the designation period.

So basically I have to send it to the address...I don't submit it to the site where we signed the contract, correct?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you elect to cancel you may hand deliver notice to seller at blah bla blah or by mailing notice to the seller by prepaid US Mail postmarked in the designation period.

So basically I have to send it to the address...I don't submit it to the site where we signed the contract, correct?

You want to mail it to the address it says and use certified mail, return receipt.That way, you'll get a postcard back saying it was delivered with a date stamp.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I have to give a reason? Or can I just say that we want to cancel?

Just say you want to exercise your right of rescission. No reason needed.

Make a copy of the signature page of the contract, and be sure both of you sign the rescission letter (if both signed the contract)

Write that all promotional materials will be returned or they might charge you for the pile of crap you got. Send that back to the place you signed the contract, not the rescission office, and keep the postal receipt showing you sent it.

Congratulations on finding us in time and saving yourselves $XXXX.

Jim

Mduckpf24

Reaction score
Send the letter AND the materials back to the place where we signed the contract. Or do we send the letter to Las Vegas and send the materials back to Nashville. We live in Nashville, so I can actually hand deliver the stuff, but do not want to spend any more hours there. I just want to do everything right the first time.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
They gave you nothing. Everyone gets 2 years of extra points to bring you up to the next VIP level for two years, its a tease to make you want more. Plus, they gave you no deal on what you are paying for the points you bought. Yes below the rack price of $225/1000 but about $50.00 above what you could negotiate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Send the letter AND the materials back to the place where we signed the contract. Or do we send the letter to Las Vegas and send the materials back to Nashville. We live in Nashville, so I can actually hand deliver the stuff, but do not want to spend any more hours there. I just want to do everything right the first time.

Send the letter to the address in the rescission instructions, and MAIL the promotional stuff to Nashville. Beware that they will be calling you to change your mind. Don't answer. Be prepared for voice mail telling you that your reason for rescission isn't good enough. Be ready for all manner of lower prices and special deals to entice you to stop the rescission.

Living in Nashville will make it harder to ignore the calls, but try. And tell your friends to either call your cell phones or leave messages so you can call them back.

These same salesweasels who turned a 1 1/2 hour presentation into a 7 hour marathon high pressure sales session will stop at nothing. No threat is off limits, no promise it too outrageous.

Be strong!

Jim

Mduckpf24

Reaction score
If I write the letter, how long should it take to expect a response? Should I mail them both out today? I also signed up for the Wyndham Rewards card. Do any of you have experience woth it? My husband and I have a Southwest Card, so should we keep it or the Wyndham card?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I write the letter, how long should it take to expect a response? Should I mail them both out today? I also signed up for the Wyndham Rewards card. Do any of you have experience woth it? My husband and I have a Southwest Card, so should we keep it or the Wyndham card?

MAIL the it TODAY if you can find an open post office to send the CERTIFIED LETTER out. I suspect you will not receive the card in the mail .. if you do, just do NOT activate it and also cancel it alike any other credit card. WHY? The interest rate is not good...the points are worthless... and YOU have other & better credit cards.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Send the rescission letter (Certified) ASAP (within the 10 days). No rush on their crap. Send it cheapest means. If you are rescinding, there is no reason to keep the Wyndham card- cancel it so there will be no annual fee- unless your down payment was put on it- then cancel it when the credit has been returned. Other than harassment, you may not get a response from the rescission until your down payment is returned or credited and that may take as much as 45 days.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please send a recession letter ASAP

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
Ditto, resend - you will be glad you did. I recently put my 175,000 points up for sale for $300 on the TUG Bargain listing and regular listing and received many inquiries. I ended up just giving it back to Wyndham. My point, never buy from the developer when you can buy resale or get them for free.

Good luck

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
And BTW, most Wyndham resorts exchange through RCI and full RCI Weeks membership is included in your MFs. Last Call and Extra Vacations are discounted cash rentals which are included in any individual RCI membership.

So they weren't giving you anything there either.

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also signed up for the Wyndham Rewards card. Do any of you have experience woth it? My husband and I have a Southwest Card, so should we keep it or the Wyndham card?
My wife and I use a Southwest card and a Capital One Venture card. The Capitol One card earns 2 points(2 cents) per dollar charged which can be used to pay for any travel including Wyndham maintenance fees and exchange fees. We fly Southwest a lot. That card earns 2 points per dollar charged on purchases from SW and its partners and which are worth 2+ cents toward SW tickets. When we checked out the Wyndham card the return was less than these two cards. Other folks might recommend other cards.

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Wyndham Rewards card can be just a card with an account that collects reward points for hotel/motel costs. Or it can be a Barclay Bank credit card that is associated with a rewards points account.

If what you have is a credit card, you will know if you want to own this one. It works just like any other credit card with Reward Points for spending. If Wyndham is charging you through that card you might want to close that account to prevent them from doing that in the future. You can call the customer service number on the card and tell them you want to dispute any charges on the card and to close the account. If you don't have the credit card yet, here is their support info https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/headerLinks?handleFaq=

Angela5svr

Reaction score
They always bonus you to temp vip with purchase it's urgency to buy that day.

Rescind your contact ASAP! I believe Tennessee is 7 days but may be 5 so double check. You need to send a cancellation letter in the mail certified as proof it was sent during this time. Mail it to the address airworthiness in your docs. Do not mail to sales center or call and say you want to cancel as this doesn't qualify to cancel per contacts and many reps holds you past rescission so you cannot cancel. You can get 105k points free just about anywhere on the Internet and save yourself the price tag. In my opinion you should never buy from developer unless your looking for vip benefits and honestly since the levels changed and benefits.this program doesnt really work until vip gold level. If vip is your end game there are people willing to work a vip transfer as they know this will bring some value to a valueless ownership. Last bit of advice rescind rescind rescind. Your better off renting from owners at that level

Angela5svr

Reaction score
I have dispute/fraud form if needed

A Wyndham Rewards card can be just a card with an account that collects reward points for hotel/motel costs. Or it can be a Barclay Bank credit card that is associated with a rewards points account.

If what you have is a credit card, you will know if you want to own this one. It works just like any other credit card with Reward Points for spending. If Wyndham is charging you through that card you might want to close that account to prevent them from doing that in the future. You can call the customer service number on the card and tell them you want to dispute any charges on the card and to close the account. If you don't have the credit card yet, here is their support info https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/headerLinks?handleFaq=

If you need the dispute form I have it. Lots of people dispute thelse charges for down payment or entire purchase when sold under misrepresentation. Be happy to send your way.

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
And if you think that you will like time-sharing, buy resale after you have learned about the products. This is a great site to learn more. I LOVE my Wyndham timeshares. The sales staff, especially in Nashville and WIlliamsburg, not so much.