• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you know your General Manager?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are getting a new GM at Ocean Pointe. Our last GM has been there almost 11 years and was terrific. She will be missed. We are looking forward to seeing who will replace her.

On our recent stay at Grande Ocean we met the newest GM at that property. His presentation during the Owner's meeting was well done. He emphasized that the negotiations with Marriott over the new Sales Center was successful because of our well-run COA.

When they work well as a good team, the GM and COA make a significant impact on a resort.

Do you know your GM and COA and do they inspire confidence in how well the resort is managed?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are getting a new GM at Ocean Pointe. Our last GM has been there almost 11 years and was terrific. She will be missed. We are looking forward to seeing who will replace her.

On our recent stay at Grande Ocean we met the newest GM at that property. His presentation during the Owner's meeting was well done. He emphasized that the negotiations with Marriott over the new Sales Center was successful because of our well-run COA.

When they work well as a good team, the GM and COA make a significant impact on a resort.

Do you know your GM and COA and do they inspire confidence in how well the resort is managed?

Do you know whether she left the company or went to another resort? She has done a good job overall since I have owned there, much better than the one at Canyon Villas. The GM at Oceana Palms is also excellent and told me during my last visit that he plans to stay there a long time.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know whether she left the company or went to another resort? She has done a good job overall since I have owned there, much better than the one at Canyon Villas. The GM at Oceana Palms is also excellent and told me during my last visit that he plans to stay there a long time.

Cheryl has left Marriott and has gone to another company (not sure where).

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you being an OP owner. At MFC I'll meet the new GM, #4, this weekend. I liked all of them but only the last one, Panna Uptal stayed with Marriott. I think he went to Grand Vista. I will miss Cheryl. OP was a very well run resort under her management. As a bonus she is a really nice person.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Yes, I knew the GM at MOC and liked and respected him. He is going to Ko Olina now and I am sorry to see him go. I do make it a point to get to know the GM since I have a serious interest in MOC and I hope the next one is equal to the task. i'm sure he/she will be!

Best,

Greg

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found the GM at Lakeshore Reserve to be enthusiastic and concerned about both the property and the owners, and helpful besides. It is nice to get to know them, though I haven't done so at every property where I own.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the best GM's I have known was at Royal/Sabal/Imperial Palms for several years. He always went out of his way to make sure my family and friends were well taken care of when we stayed there, and also was highly respected by his staff. Unfortunately, he passed away suddenly last year and I haven't yet met the new GM.

I really like the GM at Oceana Palms. He was new when I met him on my first visit to the resort, but has been there ever since. I noticed that he works side by side with his staff (even pours wine at owner's reception), and is highly respected. Several staff members have been there since it opened and have been promoted. He also remembers owners' names and is genuinely interested in their feedback and suggestions.

A good GM makes a big difference in the owner experience. I've never been impressed with Canyon Villas and Mountainside, where my correspondences and requests have been ignored. Both have also been raising Maintenance fees more than my other MVC properties over the past few years. Part of it is likely due to boards, but I think the GM is a key contributor to the fiscal responsibility.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The General Manager at the Manor Club is Tammi Hastings and she is doing an outstanding job. Plus, her staff members from front desk to every maintenance staff associate are all awesome.

That is a fact.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been interesting to me because a few of you have mentioned other resorts we own (Manor Club & Canyon Villas). We haven't been in several years so are unattached with personal contact. We also own at Harbour Point but have only previewed the resort and our unit during a tour of the resort set up through the front desk.

But no one has mentioned being connected with their COA's. At OP we are in direct communication with our COA through the owner's Yahoo group. We know how proactive they are for the owners.

After attending the owner's meeting at Grande Ocean it was apparent that the involvement of the COA with the negotiations between Marriott and the owners was in the best interests of the owners.

How connected are you with your COA and does the COA interact well with the staff?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I've found the GM at Lakeshore Reserve to be enthusiastic and concerned about both the property and the owners, and helpful besides. It is nice to get to know them, though I haven't done so at every property where I own.
I agree that James is also one of those great gm's. Very personable and can be seen and talked to easily.
BQ (gm at MKO) is also very good. They both definitely want to make sure your experience at their resort is great and listen to your comments.

mauialoha

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been interesting to me because a few of you have mentioned other resorts we own (Manor Club & Canyon Villas). We haven't been in several years so are unattached with personal contact. We also own at Harbour Point but have only previewed the resort and our unit during a tour of the resort set up through the front desk.

But no one has mentioned being connected with their COA's. At OP we are in direct communication with our COA through the owner's Yahoo group. We know how proactive they are for the owners.

After attending the owner's meeting at Grande Ocean it was apparent that the involvement of the COA with the negotiations between Marriott and the owners was in the best interests of the owners.

How connected are you with your COA and does the COA interact well with the staff?

Tried to figure it out all 5 times it is mentioned here...can't...what does COA stand for? TIA

mauialoha

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that James is also one of those great gm's. Very personable and can be seen and talked to easily.
BQ (gm at MKO) is also very good. They both definitely want to make sure your experience at their resort is great and listen to your comments.

BQ at MKO is leaving to be GM in San Diego. From what i have read he will be missed.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Tried to figure it out all 5 times it is mentioned here...can't...what does COA stand for? TIA

The Owner Association board, presumably Chairman? That's how I read it.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
BQ at MKO is leaving to be GM in San Diego. From what i have read he will be missed.
Yes i am also sad tht he is leaving. I believe his meeting today will be his last here as resort manager. He has definitely made mko a much better resortbin his 3 years here. The employees and resort will surely miss him. From what i hear BQ's replacement is very well thought of also.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have never met any of the general managers at either of the resorts we own at. I could find out their names from the newsletters we get, but I certainly don't know their names off the top of my head.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I "know" the GM's of our two resorts by face because of attending the weekly info meetings when we're there. On a few occasions I've had email/phone exchanges with one or the other because they've answered questions that I've directed to them or to the HOA board members. Onsite they both can be seen around the property and they seem very happy to stop and chat with owners/guests.

I wouldn't know any of the board members if I tripped over them (and quite honestly, I completely understand if it's their preference to keep their anonymity when onsite as guests.) As far as can be seen from the Budget Statements and the state of the resorts, I'm very happy with the work they're doing in association with the GM's behind the scenes.

mauialoha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes i am also sad tht he is leaving. I believe his meeting today will be his last here as resort manager. He has definitely made mko a much better resortbin his 3 years here. The employees and resort will surely miss him. From what i hear BQ's replacement is very well thought of also.

Yes, Mr. Wong is going to MKO from our home resort of Maui Ocean Club. He will be missed and will be greatly admired at MKO. Don't know yet who our new GM will be at MOC. .

mauialoha

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks Susan for your input into the COA abbreviation. We could use an abbreviation code list on this forum. JK...just kidding! LOL.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
COA=Condominium Owners Association

I think here, people are referring to the board. But the COA is really all the owners.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

Although I monitor the board meeting minutes and candidates, I admit I don't know how the individuals impact resort decisions and maintenance fees. I am not happy with many of the increased MF's at Mountainside, but they are likely caused by the board decisions. I've had pretty good experiences with the GM and staff there.

With Canyon Villas, I have had bad experiences with staf/ GM and MF's have increased more than any other of my MVC resorts. I never get responses to phone calls and emails, there appears to be high staff turnover, and my last visit resulted in villa not being available until after 6pm and nobody seemed to care. That is a GM issue.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Yes, I knew the GM at MOC and liked and respected him. He is going to Ko Olina now and I am sorry to see him go. I do make it a point to get to know the GM since I have a serious interest in MOC and I hope the next one is equal to the task. i'm sure he/she will be!

Best,

Greg

Absolutely agree with you on all points, Greg. I thought he did a very nice job at MOC.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ok. What is a COA ?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Acronyms!
This seems like a good guessing game though.
How about Committee Owner Advisory or Chairman Owner Advisory or...?

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ok. What is a COA ?

Acronyms!
This seems like a good guessing game though.
How about Committee Owner Advisory or Chairman Owner Advisory or...?

Sorry, I thought it was a common term:

http://www.lerchearly.com/publications/441-condominiums-vs-hoas-bottom-line

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is from the my-vacationclub website:

Interacting with My Owners' Association
WEEKS OWNERS – Owners' Association
Your home resort is governed by an owners association, which works on your behalf to handle the management and operation of the resort. Your timeshare ownership automatically makes you a member of the COA.

Here are two ways to stay informed about, or, better yet, participate in the affairs of your COA.

How to Participate at Annual Meetings
Prior to your COA Annual Meeting, you will receive a notice of the meeting that includes a Limited Proxy in the mail. If you cannot attend the meeting in person, you can participate by completing and returning your Limited Proxy. Participating either in person or via Limited Proxy is important for several reasons:

Your participation helps ensure a quorum. Each COA must have a minimum number of its members represented either in person or by Limited Proxy in order to transact business at the Annual Meeting. If a quorum is not obtained, additional costs will be assessed to members to cover the cost of a second notice of meeting and Limited Proxy, as well as associated meeting costs.
It shows your support of those working in your interest – your Board of Directors and the management team.
In an election year it is your opportunity to vote for Board of Directors members – the very people who represent your interests at your resort.

Keep Up Via Mailings
You’ll generally receive two mailings per year highlighting news and activities at your resort including information regarding upcoming maintenance fees. Also, when a vacancy occurs on your Board of Directors, you’ll receive a volunteer form in the mail. If you’d like to be considered as a candidate, complete and submit a volunteer form.

To view current and archived components of your mailings online, visit the Owners Association section on your resort’s Owner tab. Locate your resort by clicking My Resorts.