• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retiring in Puerto Vallarta

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I toyed with the idea of retiring in Mexico. It wouldn't be PV, but that's a personal choice. Somewhere with a vibrant ex-pat community. Arts. Excellent medical care. Sound infrastructure, water systems, etc. Good transport. Up-to-date building codes.

If seriously considering international retirement, rent there for at least half a year. And not all of it in the most favorable time of year. For instance, PV in Aug/Sept can be 90 and 95% humidity. I don't know about you, but I'm not built for that.

Jim

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I intend on retiring in Mazatlan. It's a city more than a tourist destination, which is more to my every-day liking. I can get to Puerto Vallarta easily by plane or bus when i do need something tropical though (and will keep my timeshare week there)!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been rubbing shoulders with the ex-pat's in Maz for a time now. There were a couple of restaurants full of 'em last night for $9 steak dinners & bingo. Got tickets for Sunday's classical concert in the 1880 theater. Surf fishing has been good. Margaritas better. A nice ocean view condo can be had for $150K or so (and up) inland for half that. The city feels fairly prosperous. Construction everywhere. Businesses refurbishing facilities. New restaurants. Kiosks of gringos in blue jackets around Centro with paid jobs giving tourist assistance to travelers.

I had planned to retire here 20some years ago but then met DW and plans change. We still enjoy spending time in Maz. The winter's are pretty pleasant. Summers, not so much.

Jim

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Jim,

FWIW, there are some [very] small apartments/condo's in el centro that are pretty inexpensive. I'm in the process of buying one so I have a place other than my weeks @ the Costa de Oro to make extended stays, and to use when I finally do the move ... either as a permanent place, or a transitional place to stay while I find something else.

One of my timeshare weeks is in mid-July ... so I know what summers are like :) I acclimate pretty quickly, and imagine if I were living there 24/7, 365 that it wouldn't be an issue. After almost 60 years, I'm just tired of damp, damp, damp. Don't get me wrong, the PNW is beautiful. It's just that I look forward to being warm more than one or two months a year!

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is a personal thing. My wife and I wouldn't live in Mexico even though it is much easier for us. My wife is a Mexican citizen and is more opposed to living in Mexico than I am. I am fluent in Spanish, lived and worked in Mexico, and owned a business there. Our son played pro baseball in Mexico. Having said all that, we decided not to retire there. I have been retired for 10 years.

We have a lot of family in Mexico and vacation there a lot. We are very familiar with many localities in Mexico including Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Vera Cruz, La Paz, Cancun, Riviera Maya, Ensenada, etc. We lived in Culiacan which is the state capital of Sinaloa where Mazatlan is located.

There were many factors that we considered for a retirement location. We did a lot of research weighing our priorities and we picked where we live now in California. We also lived in California before moving were we are now 13 years ago. We love it here.

The whole point is you have to decide what is right for you. I strongly suggest that you spend at least a few months in a non-vacation mode before making a move.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
pretty sure one of our own "pammex" has permanently retired there already? hopefully she can chime in for ya!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hasn't the crime rate gone up there in recent years?

No - just the escape rate .

and HE will be on the 10th floor of the new 10 floor prison the president of Mexico . Enrique Pena Nieto
WILL make sure gets built .

IMHO - 100 year sentence THEN the government of Mexico will allow extradition .
Don't kings or drug lords TRUMP everything .

LOL

Last edited: