• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Only show certain forums in new posts

gandalf252002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there someway that when I go to new posts, I see only the posts in certain forums? I am not interested in seeing stuff in several forums and have to wade through everything. For example, not concerned about rentals offered, or Starwood information as I am not an owner, and have no desire to be (at least at this point)

I suspect that it's not possible, but thought I would ask.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im not aware of how to do this off the top of my head, but ill keep looking around!

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you get the URL and add &exclude=x,y,z (where x, y and z are the forums IDs you want to exclude), it should work. Make sure you get the new posts link (tugbbs . com/forums/search.php?do=getnew) and not the cached search results ( tugbbs . com/forums/search.php?searchid=######) that the search page redirects to.

You can find the forum IDs by going to the forum listing and hovering over the links. The ?f=# shows the forum ID.

gandalf252002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried that and it didn't work, or maybe I didn't do it entirely correctly.

Here are 4 forums I am not interested in;

237239 Rentals Offered
235519 Wyndham Resorts
236614 Starwood Resorts
235095 Buying, Selling, Renting

This is the URL I tried using

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/search...&exclude=235519&exclude=236614&exclude=235095

But I still got a bunch of stuff I didn't want. I have probably just mucked up the syntax a little bit somehow.

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score

gandalf252002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol, I thought the numbers were a little high, especially when I looked at the number for some of the other forums. I'll try that, and see if that works. Then it's just a case of figuring out what the forum numbers and how I got the ones I did. Obviously, they were wrong and it's not as complicated as I thought.

Thanks VERY much for your help if this works. I have neglected the forums here for some time, because there was often too much info to wade through.

I think you might have been pulling post or thread numbers, rather than forum numbers. Those four forums are 45, 47, 51 and 13.

Try this instead:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=45,47,51,13

Here it is not linked, so you can see it easier:

tugbbs . com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=45,47,51,13

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I think you might have been pulling post or thread numbers, rather than forum numbers. Those four forums are 45, 47, 51 and 13.

Try this instead:

Well, I'll be darned. Never knew this was possible.

I really only follow 5 forums. I just subscribe to those forums and enter the bbs via my User Control Panel page ([noparse]http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/usercp.php[/noparse]). My UserCP page lists each of my subscribed forums at the top and I can easily see when any of them have new posts.

gandalf252002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess that would have been another way of doing it! However that link that Michael posted appears to work. It will get some tweaking I am sure down the road. Goes to show you can learn something new every day, even when you are an expert. I may do your way as well Makai and see how that works.

Michael where might I be able to go for more little tidbits like this? Is it and SQL thing, or something specific to vBulletin?

Well, I'll be darned. Never knew this was possible.

I really only follow 5 forums. I just subscribe to those forums and enter the bbs via my User Control Panel page ([noparse]http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/usercp.php[/noparse]). My UserCP page lists each of my subscribed forums at the top and I can easily see when any of them have new posts.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always a great day when you share something that even the Admin didn't know! ;)

I participate on a number of other vBulletin forums (different topics than TUG), am a Moderator on one, and was even an Admin on one for a couple years. No particular place to learn tips like that, but I've seen lots of "how do I..." questions over the years.

I'm a member of one forum where a few of the sub-forums are nothing but ads, so it came in useful there. When I saw the question, I remembered this and went back to find the details.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Try this instead:

I am not sure this works right. When I click on the link your your post, I only see one new post. When I click on the New Posts link in the header, there are a page or more. I would not think that all of the new posts are in those four forums?

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's strange. When I click it, I see 60 threads on the normal one, and 44 on the one excluding those four forums.

Everyone will see a different number of new posts, but there shouldn't be such a big difference between the two links.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That's strange. When I click it, I see 60 threads on the normal one, and 44 on the one excluding those four forums.

Everyone will see a different number of new posts, but there shouldn't be such a big difference between the two links.

It seems to be working for me now. Not sure what the issue was earlier, I was on a different computer.

Here are all for forum IDs for those that want to know.
9 - TUG
10 - About TUG BBS
7 - About the Rest of TUG
11 - Timesharing
13 - Buying, Selling, Renting
55 - Bargain Deals
56 - Ratings of Timeshare Related Businesses
12 - Exchanging
49 - Ask Dial an Exchange(DAE)
50 - Ask Trading Places International (TPI)
57 - Ask Platinum Interchange
15 - Travel Info
17 - New to Timesharing? Look Here!
16 - Last Minute Rentals
45 - Rentals Offered
46 - Rentals Wanted
53 - Timeshare Resort Systems
52 - Hilton / HGVC
29 - Marriott Resort System
51 - Starwood Vacation Ownership
47 - Wyndham Resorts
54 - Disney Vacation Club - DVC
30 - All Other Timeshare Systems
59 - Diamond Resorts International - DRI
48 - Non-traditional Interval Ownership
5 - Timeshare Resort Regions
18 - US - East Coast Timesharing
19 - US - Florida Timesharing
20 - US - Central Timesharing
21 - US - West Coast Timesharing
22 - US - Hawaii Timesharing
23 - Canada Timesharing
24 - Caribbean Timesharing
25 - Mexico Timesharing
26 - European Timesharing
27 - South African Timesharing
28 - International Timesharing
1 - General Discussion
2 - TUG Lounge
6 - Private Forums
3 - Sightings/Distressed

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I am not sure this works right. When I click on the link your your post, I only see one new post. When I click on the New Posts link in the header, there are a page or more. I would not think that all of the new posts are in those four forums?
"New" is a relative term. "New" posts are those made since your last recorded log-in. Note that the board logs you off after 30 minutes of inactivity, but if you have "remember me" checked when you logged on, it will log you in automatically if you do anything on the board after you've been logged off. From a user's standpoint for most things it's as though you had never been logged off.

So if you clicked on New Posts when you first logged in, it would show you all those posts added while you were away. If you downloaded a bunch of messages and then read them (which takes place on your computer but doesn't access the bbs in the interim) or just plain didn't do anything more for 30 minutes, you could have been auto logged off. If you subsequently hit Mike's link, it would have auto logged you in and then listed the new messages SINCE YOUR PREVIOUS LOGIN. All of the new messages you saw previously would no longer be new, and you'd only see the ones added in the 30 minutes or so between the two logins.

Last edited: