• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC in NYC.....Next Month! [The Strand Hotel]

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw that and was going to post ! Yes !!!!!!

I hope this helps us poor, suffering non HGVC members.

:D

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It's not like there are no good Marriott hotels in the heart of the city. This is probably a very good addition to the portfolio, but I prefer the location of the Marriott Marquis on Times Square. If it is like the Mayflower, however, with suites (not just rooms) priced in DC points very favorably for members, it could be rather exciting.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the current website of The Strand Hotel NYC:

http://www.thestrandnyc.com/default-en.html

There's nothing about suites, but there are various categories of rooms (Premier, Executive, Empire, Deluxe, Superior) with various bedding configurations. Considering how quickly it will become a Marriott Vacation Club, I don't expect any significant changes.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Great news -- happy to see an MVC property in New York. I hope the points chart works for us.

Best,

Greg

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
So, will any units ever make it to II for us weeks-owners, or will this only be available to you points owners?

More acquisitions like this could entice hard-core weeks owners, like myself, to purchase points for shorts stays (4/5 nites) in NYC, while in route to other locations like Europe and the Caribbean, from the west coast. This is one of the reasons that I purchased my HGVC, so that I can stay at W57th St.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, will any units ever make it to II for us weeks-owners, or will this only be available to you points owners?

More acquisitions like this could entice hard-core weeks owners, like myself, to purchase points for shorts stays (4/5 nites) in NYC, while in route to other locations like Europe and the Caribbean, from the west coast. This is one of the reasons that I purchased my HGVC, so that I can stay at W57th St.
More acquisitions in Europe or other worldwide locations and I just might be interested.
Although, I would still hope to see access with week(s) elected points if not Interval.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news -- happy to see an MVC property in New York. I hope the points chart works for us.

Best,

Greg

If the points required are similar to CH in Boston or the Mayflower in DC it could be a good deal provided they rearrange the floorpan to separate the bedroom from the living area. The prices of NYC hotel rooms and suites are pretty competitive and there are a lot of nice places to stay.

We just stayed in a suite at the Algonquin for $269 a night. If they start requiring more than 500 DC points a night for a weekend stay I don't think it would be cost effective.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

When they announced the Washington, DC Mayflower addition immediately there was a huge bulk bank of inventory to II for Weeks exchanges. I expect there will always be at least minimal availability through II because mingling intervals in all the different inventory buckets is how they fuel the engine of exchange opportunities for DC Members.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like The Strand Hotel NYC, the MVC at Mayflower is a property with no weeks owners, only Trust ownership. Early on, MVC Mayflower (Washington DC) weeks showed up as available in II. There may have been other deposits into II that nobody saw because they were matched to ongoing searches.

Because there are no weeks owners, you can't rely on weeks owners depositing high-value weeks. MVC can deposit weeks into II to get inventory out of II for points reservations, but it doesn't seem possible to predict what properties and what weeks MVC will choose.

If the points required are similar to CH in Boston or the Mayflower in DC it could be a good deal provided they rearrange the floorpan to separate the bedroom from the living area.
I could be wrong, but I expect the hotel to continue to have regular hotels rooms, not suites or villas. The attraction will be the ability to use points instead of paying the high prices that New York hotels usually charge.

If they start requiring more than 500 DC points a night for a weekend stay I don't think it would be cost effective.
We'll know once we see the point charts. The point chart should be much more advantageous than the ridiculously high City Explorer point requirements.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not like there are no good Marriott hotels in the heart of the city. This is probably a very good addition to the portfolio, but I prefer the location of the Marriott Marquis on Times Square. If it is like the Mayflower, however, with suites (not just rooms) priced in DC points very favorably for members, it could be rather exciting.

In the article it sounds like they're equally excited about opening a sales office there as they are about offering a NY City property to members. I'm thinking this should go a long way towards lifting the NY-state sales restrictions that they've always faced, shouldn't it?

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
When they announced the Washington, DC Mayflower addition immediately there was a huge bulk bank of inventory to II for Weeks exchanges. I expect there will always be at least minimal availability through II because mingling intervals in all the different inventory buckets is how they fuel the engine of exchange opportunities for DC Members.

Like The Strand Hotel NYC, the MVC at Mayflower is a property with no weeks owners, only Trust ownership. Early on, MVC Mayflower (Washington DC) weeks showed up as available in II. There may have been other deposits into II that nobody saw because they were matched to ongoing searches.

Because there are no weeks owners, you can't rely on weeks owners depositing high-value weeks. MVC can deposit weeks into II to get inventory out of II for points reservations, but it doesn't seem possible to predict what properties and what weeks MVC will choose.

That's good news to hear. I thought once Marriott weeks were sold under the points system, at existing TS's and new Marriott TS buildings/locations, they would be out of the II pool. :banana:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's good news to hear. I thought once Marriott weeks were sold under the points system, at existing TS's and new Marriott TS buildings/locations, they would be out of the II pool. :banana:

Some of the sales reps want us to believe that, but II inventory is a major component of the DC availability engine. Although we don't know the exact metric MVW uses they are required to make deposits that offset their withdrawals, and since the DC we haven't seen any MVC resorts become unavailable through II.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Like The Strand Hotel NYC, the MVC at Mayflower is a property with no weeks owners, only Trust ownership.

And it actually sounds like this will be just "managed" via the Exchange Company for the first couple years. The article talks about its capital efficient purchase not starting until 2018 (see quote below), so I assume that will be when the first portion of weeks are purchased and placed into the Trust to allow for selling the underlying points...likely followed by another segment of weeks purchased and placed into the Trust at intervals going forward, as MVW tries to supply points to the Trust in some coordination of when they need them to sell. All part of their asset light strategy.

Subject to certain conditions being met, Marriott Vacations Worldwide has also agreed to a capital efficient purchase of the 176-room hotel in phases over time, beginning in 2018

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
There's nothing about suites, but there are various categories of rooms (Premier, Executive, Empire, Deluxe, Superior) with various bedding configurations. Considering how quickly it will become a Marriott Vacation Club, I don't expect any significant changes.

I agree in the short term, but I expect as they actually start purchasing the units in a couple of years, we will see a gradual renovation and reconfiguration of the hotel (perhaps floor by floor), including the construction of suites like they have at the Mayflower (where I think the suites already existed). If the long-term plan is just for hotel rooms, it has no appeal to me as I would rather use Marriott Rewards points at the Marriott Marquis (or even the Renaissance) on Times Square.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I agree in the short term, but I expect as they actually start purchasing the units in a couple of years, we will see a gradual renovation and reconfiguration of the hotel (perhaps floor by floor), including the construction of suites like they have at the Mayflower (where I think the suites already existed). If the long-term plan is just for hotel rooms, it has no appeal to me as I would rather use Marriott Rewards points at the Marriott Marquis (or even the Renaissance) on Times Square.

Couldn't agree more!!!

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree in the short term, but I expect as they actually start purchasing the units in a couple of years, we will see a gradual renovation and reconfiguration of the hotel (perhaps floor by floor), including the construction of suites like they have at the Mayflower (where I think the suites already existed).
That's possible. Time will tell.

In the end, it will be business decision. Does combining two rooms produce a unit that will yield more than double the points of an unmodified room?

The rooms are currently on the small side, but they are nice hotel rooms in a good location in a very expensive city. "Guestrooms size average from 200 square feet to 350 square feet," according to the following fact sheet:

http://www.thestrandnyc.com/d/main/media/PDFs/Strand-Fact-Sheet-Jan-2015.pdf

Also, the photos at the hotel's website show walk-in showers, not tub showers. I prefer walk-in showers, but I realize that walk-in showers are less than ideal for families with "bathtub-age" children.

My guess is that the current meeting facility will become the sales center.

If the long-term plan is just for hotel rooms, it has no appeal to me as I would rather use Marriott Rewards points at the Marriott Marquis (or even the Renaissance) on Times Square.
I'd rather stay in hotel that's away from Times Square. But that's just my personal preference. Marriott has many hotels under various brands throughout various parts of Manhattan.

As to whether it will be better to use DC points for what's now The Strand Hotel NYC or to use Marriott Rewards points for one of the many other properties, for me it will depend on the DC points chart and how many of each kind of point I have available.

Last edited:

DCBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
This announcement seems consistent with info I learned at a recent info session at the Custom House (much better than a sales presentation). I learned there that Marriott Worldwide would be soon announcing the creation of their PULSE program that would include the addition of converted hotel rooms at several locations around the country this coming spring.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Couldn't agree more!!!

I agree as well. If you think back to when the Destination Club was introduced one of the eventual additions that was mentioned a number of times by exec level reps was exactly this, hotel space that would be retrofitted as more typical timeshare units and conveyed to the DC Trust. I was actually surprised that it took as long as it did after the DC inception for the first hotel addition, The Mayflower in DC, to be announced.

This one seems to be the same as Mayflower in that intervals will be available initially through the DC Exchange Company, but different in that at the Mayflower they contracted to purchase only specific floors in the hotel and here they're purchasing the entire hotel. Hopefully that means they've figured out whatever conveyance impediments they're facing and we'll see more of the same elsewhere.

I love these additions. :)

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news !

I have been waiting for this to happen for years ! I am 60 minutes outside Manhattan and hate commuting home after a wonderful evening in the city. A new place to use my points with a low cost to get to and from it! We could never afford a place in the city, nor would it be practical. I plan on booking multiple rooms on the same nights for family and friends to come along for the good time!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I am excited about this addition too. I usually stay at the Marriott Marquis on business, but this sounds like a great location for a personal visit. It will be interesting to see how the points program works.

Mike

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

Seems sort of Ho-hum to me... I purchased Timeshares to have a nice 2 bedroom unit with a kitchen so that the family can travel together. The sales pitch was , "use the kitchen ..avoid the cost of those pesky breakfasts for 5" which can really add up..

The proof will be in the point charts... don't think this will be cheap!!! The Residence Inn at Bryant Park seems a more reasonable option...

sorry to put a damper on the excitement... but I just didn't purchase this product for the hotel rooms... I went to the Strand website... it's just a bunch of regular hotel rooms...It's going to take a mega-retro fit to make it a MVC property of distinction...

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everybody has their own view, but for my 2 cents, I have zero interest in these urban properties.

When we bought into the Marriott Vacation Club it was for the resort like properties (pools, activities, expansive grounds, etc.... which the Marriott timeshare system always was). I hope these urban settings are not going to be the trend.... between DC, San Diego and now NYC. If I want to travel to an urban destination, I can stay in a hotel room (and if one needs more space, perhaps a Residence Inn).

In my opinion Marriott should be focusing on opening new full-service MVCI resorts in places like Cancun, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, etc.....

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
good morning...

Seems sort of Ho-hum to me... I purchased Timeshares to have a nice 2 bedroom unit with a kitchen so that the family can travel together. The sales pitch was , "use the kitchen ..avoid the cost of those pesky breakfasts for 5" which can really add up..

The proof will be in the point charts... don't think this will be cheap!!! The Residence Inn at Bryant Park seems a more reasonable option...

sorry to put a damper on the excitement... but I just didn't purchase this product for the hotel rooms... I went to the Strand website... it's just a bunch of regular hotel rooms...It's going to take a mega-retro fit to make it a MVC property of distinction...
I totally agree if it is just hotel rooms, which would be like a studio which I would almost never book with DC points. If it has nice suites like the Mayflower, however, it adds something because I would never otherwise be able to stay in a suite in one of these expensive cities.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

It will be interesting to see if they do a similar bulk bank in to II with this property. It seems that they are simply taking over management of the property for now with a plan to acquire units through 2018. So for now, they don't own any actual units. The current owners will still want money for heads in beds and I don't think II is an easy way to monetize units. At lest not through exchange. Unless Marriott is willing to foot the bill. I think instead they will have these units available through Explorer or exchange where perhaps they have other ways to monetize the units to pay the hotel owners.

The Mayflower was different in that they outright bought the units, they could have done something similar there though by putting the units up for rent. I guess a lot depends on occupancy levels. But for now, I think with the ownership of the units still in the hands of the property owners, we won't see a huge bulk in to II. Though time will tell.

I am with NYFLTRAVELER, this doesn't excite me much other than it is another property that I can add to the Marriott II Unit Codes list if they get deposited there:). I want multiple bedroom units where we can take family along. Bahama, Cancun and other Carribbean islands are places I would rather see them build out properties. I think the problem is that they need to start from the ground up where in places like NY they can buy a property and convert hotel rooms. It gives them a less capital intensive method to add points to the MVC Trust. Unfortunately I think this will be an ongoing trend. But what other US cities could they really consider now outside of Chicago and Miami? Which we now know that Miami is a dead deal.