• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New WiFi at Smoky Mountain

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked into Wyndham Smoky Mountain. They just instituted a new WiFi policy. Now you have to log in using a voucher. Your choice is free standard speed. Or, pay extra for faster speed. Supposedly 6 times faster. The cost is approx. $9.99 per day or approx. $50 per week. Standard speed is up to 4 devices. I believe I saw the 'pay' speed is unlimited.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked into Wyndham Smoky Mountain. They just instituted a new WiFi policy. Now you have to log in using a voucher. Your choice is free standard speed. Or, pay extra for faster speed. Supposedly 6 times faster. The cost is approx. $9.99 per day or approx. $50 per week. Standard speed is up to 4 devices. I believe I saw the 'pay' speed is unlimited.

Wyndham National harbor has the same arrangement. You get 4 devices per unit, regardless of unit size. I was just there over Thanksgiving.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far the 'free' works fine for e-mail and browsing but don't even think about streaming or downloading.

Thats the point

If you want to stream,you gotta pay. I experienced this at National Harbor too Its the system of the future for Wyndham.

I like it.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
All Wyndham resorts should offer free wifi. How much of the high speed internet cost goes to manage it and collect the payment?

I will be very happy when internet coverage is everywhere and the router/modem is built right in the computer.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
All Wyndham resorts should offer free wifi. How much of the high speed internet cost goes to manage it and collect the payment?

I will be very happy when internet coverage is everywhere and the router/modem is built right in the computer.

They do offer it for free. It's just not much bandwidth. It's not like we aren't paying a handsome MF to them.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do offer it for free. It's just not much bandwidth. It's not like we aren't paying a handsome MF to them.

Yes and that is good. I think whatever is at one resort should be at all resorts.

Is high speed wifi at a VIP perk at any of the resorts?

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and that is good. I think whatever is at one resort should be at all resorts.

Is high speed wifi at a VIP perk at any of the resorts?

I'm VIP and it didn't cut anything for me. I bet the next thing will be if you submit to their sales, uh update they will offer a week of free high speed. They are absolutely becoming aggressive about trying to con you into attending.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in August and they had only one tier of internet -- nearly unusable. It was painfully slow for anything.

At the time, they apologized and said they were going to increase the bandwidth "next week."

These "rationing models" just seem to be a cash grab that leaves a bitter taste. Wyndham owners pay maintenance fees to cover expenses of a basic services like Internet. Why not just install the proper equipment and bandwidth for today's families?

Likely as someone pointed out, Wyndham is looking at it as a sales tool or someone worked a deal and is pocketing kickbacks from sales of the faster speeds.

Perhaps the next step will be "The first 3 minutes of hot water in the shower is free, after that it's $10 for 5 minutes of hot water and $30 for unlimited hot water."

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Same thing at Governor's Green last weekend.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in August and they had only one tier of internet -- nearly unusable. It was painfully slow for anything.

At the time, they apologized and said they were going to increase the bandwidth "next week."

These "rationing models" just seem to be a cash grab that leaves a bitter taste. Wyndham owners pay maintenance fees to cover expenses of a basic services like Internet. Why not just install the proper equipment and bandwidth for today's families?

Likely as someone pointed out, Wyndham is looking at it as a sales tool or someone worked a deal and is pocketing kickbacks from sales of the faster speeds.

Perhaps the next step will be "The first 3 minutes of hot water in the shower is free, after that it's $10 for 5 minutes of hot water and $30 for unlimited hot water."

They instituted this change in the past two weeks because I was there on my way back from FL and it was all free then. I think they are contracting out the service just like many toll road contracts are farmed out. So, for the contractor it is a for profit business rather than get the best bang for the buck for their owners. It is 'what will the market bear'. The speed is acceptable for just browsing and e-mail. Works well for that. I guess if you feel you need faster you have to pay the price (or not)! LOL!

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

One thing to keep in mind is these resorts are not going to be billed at the residential rate, but rather the much more expensive business rate.

I like having the basic free, and paying extra if I want the faster speed (and I've got kids who would stream constantly in the rooms if they could).