• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott to Marriott Exchange, Hawaii

BigKahuna

Reaction score
I am brand new to TUG as a poster, but a lurker of many years. Thanks to members here my wife and I bought at MOC on the resale market. A big thanks to TUG! You saved us thousands when compared to what Marriott was asking.
We own multiple weeks of every year usage of a 1 bedroom oceanview in the original towers and have been traveling to MOC to use our weeks for years.
My question is this: we would like to start exchanging for other Marriott properties on other islands, specifically Kauai in 2016. We have absolutely no experience with exchanges. I have registered at ownerstrade.com and listed my willingness to exchange. If I have no success in a week or two I plan to sign up at II and give that a try.
Since We have never exchanged before I am asking for advice as to if I am on the right track? Is there anything else I should be doing? We have not reserved any weeks yet at MOC for 2016 trying to keep our options open.
Thanks for your help.
BigKahuna

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG is great for owner-to-owner exchanges. I've done private exchanges a couple of times. Next year, we're doing exactly what you are talking about. We have arranged a private exchange of our oceanfront KBC unit for a unit at MOC.

If you want to try trading in Interval, you should book a high demand week at MOC (maybe there are some summer weeks still available) and put your request in for a week on Kauai. I'd request a unit in Waihoai, Kauai Beach Club, and the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort. Lucky for you, a Maui to Kauai trade is easier than Kauai to Maui.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I would see any HI weeks. I never do except in Flexchange time.
Of course the lack of availability is directly related to my horrible deposits, lol!!

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Lots of summer weeks are still available at MOC. If I use II is there any chance my 1 bedroom would only get someone's lock Off? That would be disappointing to say the least. I know MAW does not have them but wonder about the other properties on Kauai?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you put in a request for a 1BR, you should get a 1BR - not a lockoff. Just keep a close eye on your email inbox for notification of a match from II. If by any chance they give you a unit that is not acceptable, you need to call them within 24 hours and decline the trade. Waihoai only has 2BR units, so if you get a trade there, it will be an upgrade in size.

When are you wanting to go to Kauai? Summer and Feb/Mar is always more miss than hit for Hawaiian timeshares (other than for a last minute Flexchange week). If you are really flexible on dates, I think you should get a match.

Also, have you tried posting in the TUG Marketplace for a MOC to Kauai exchange?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I would definitely add Kauai Lagoons to your list of requested resorts. Nothing smaller than a 2BR there and it is a wonderful resort. Not many II deposits but you could get lucky. I would not put KBC on your list yet unless you would be happy with a 1BR villa of lower quality than those at MOC. Because KBC is a lock off property, you would probably be quickly matched to a KBC 1BR before any other properties become available. KBC is a much easier trade than either Kauai Lagoons or Waiohai.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely add Kauai Lagoons to your list of requested resorts. Nothing smaller than a 2BR there and it is a wonderful resort. Not many II deposits but you could get lucky. I would not put KBC on your list yet unless you would be happy with a 1BR villa of lower quality than those at MOC. Because KBC is a lock off property, you would probably be quickly matched to a KBC 1BR before any other properties become available. KBC is a much easier trade than either Kauai Lagoons or Waiohai.

Doh! :doh: I completely forgot about Lagoons! That would be a great exchange for your 1BR MOC unit, but, like BocaBay said, there aren't many Lagoon units deposited in Interval. Especially outside of Flexchange.

Note that you can confirm a trade into Kauai for a week that will work for you, and add EPlus to it. EPlus will let you retrade your exchange up to three more times if you see a better week/unit come along.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you book a decent week at MOC, you should easily get a unit in Kauai.

I wouldn't wait too long though... don't forget about the 'flexchange' period of 59 days. Also, deposits inside of 6 mos may have reduced trading power. Additionally, when request a search in II, the system defaults to Thursday check-in (if available) but will automatically check you in on Thur-Sun (if available). You can call II after loading the search to fine tune check-in days or change particulars on the request.

I'd strongly recommend WPOVR, Waiohai, Lagoons for you. the real advantage of an owner trade (might be a bit late now) would be the view; view category is not protected with exchange. And, while I love my Waiohai, the views are not the main attraction--unless you get incredibly lucky.

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the helpful hints. My takeaway so far is:
1. II seems like the best option. We are both retired and can travel on short notice.
2. Lots of summer weeks are still available at our home resort, MOC so I will pick one and
reserve it. Is Friday, Saturday or Sunday check in best? Summer is still 7 months away so my
week should have good trading power.
3. I will deposit said week into II and specify Request First. I would hope to snag a week at
WPOVR, Waiohai or Lagoons. Hopefully sooner rather than later so maybe someone's
week as a Flexchange week? We would like to travel in January or February, 2016.
Does this all sound OK?
BK

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Join Interval International (II) and deposit your week. Also remember to pay the $49 for the retrade feature, which can be used for changing properties or just changing dates. You get to change up to 3 times. It's worked out great for us. It's typical to not see anything that your looking for, but once you actually request a trade you should get something quickly. I luv the Marriott preference. Also, try to exchange during the slow periods when the kids are in school. This is the perfect time to be in Hawaii, lots of vacant rooms.

I suggest Waihoai on Kauai: 2-BDRM, W/D, full kitchen, and a nice beach on the ocean, vs converted hotel rooms at KBC. We stayed Waiohai last year for a week, after a week at Ko' olina, and it was great.

When you call Marriott book a high demand week, before depositing that week into II. On II, check the TDI for the highest demand week possible.

We're at MOC now for 2 weeks and luving it :D

Last edited:

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Thanks everyone for the helpful hints. My takeaway so far is:
Hopefully sooner rather than later so maybe someone's week as a Flexchange week? We would like to travel in January or February, 2016.
Does this all sound OK?
BK

Yes, however I would also recommend going online around 6am each morning and look at the inventory. Since your within the 60 day timeframe you should be able to see something online. Also try in the mid of the day. You maybe more likely to grab it yourself than wait for a hit because of the short window you have suggested. But you can do both....

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, however I would also recommend going online around 6am each morning and look at the inventory. Since your within the 60 day timeframe you should be able to see something online. Also try in the mid of the day. You maybe more likely to grab it yourself than wait for a hit because of the short window you have suggested. But you can do both....

Actually, I usually try all through out the day and nite. You never know when the exchange you want might pop-up. There has been times when my wife would check, then 5 minutes later when I check, it's there. Did I say that I luv the Marriott preference?

Sent from my iPad Retina using Tapatalk

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Update....

Changed my mind a little. I still plan to deposit a Maui Ocean Club week in II for use later. I decided to travel starting January 5th to Kauai using Starwood points at the Sheraton Kauai. They are doing 4 nites with points and the 5th nite free so I jumped on that.
Then on to Maui for another 5 nites at the new Hyatt Residency adjacent to Maui Ocean Club. Got a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo on a promo deal, 298.00 per nite. I know....I have to sit thru a 90 minute presentation and take a 100.00 gift certificate. We looked at these a couple weeks ago and they are just beautiful. And selling like hotcakes, so they say. However, never fear, I won't be buying.
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I learned alot. The easiest way to exchange for me as a multiple weeks owner is II. You all were very helpful.

BigKahuna out

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just an FYI

There are three Marriott TS on Kauai KBC has both 1 bd, 2 bd and studios where The Waiohai and the Lagoons have 2 bds as the smallest size. Your one bd MOC will easily trade into a week at either one during the slower fall season (and probably trade into them during the busier seasons too). Do not trade into the other Marriott TS (KBC) on Kauai because your MOC is a much better TS than the KBC so you'd be trading down.

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Re: Exchange Process
So I went online at MVCI and reserved a week in summer 2016,thinking this would be a week with some good exchange juice. I chose the occupy option for exchange. I then logged in at II and renewed my membership. Now I am ready to deposit my week with II and am faced with 3 choices of how to deposit it:
1. Deposit 1st
2. Request 1st
3. MVCI internal exchange option wherein I call my adviser at my service center?

I have no idea what do do with these 3 choices now?? Any advice is appreciated.

BK

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Exchange Process
So I went online at MVCI and reserved a week in summer 2016,thinking this would be a week with some good exchange juice. I chose the occupy option for exchange. I then logged in at II and renewed my membership. Now I am ready to deposit my week with II and am faced with 3 choices of how to deposit it:
1. Deposit 1st
2. Request 1st
3. MVCI internal exchange option wherein I call my adviser at my service center?

I have no idea what do do with these 3 choices now?? Any advice is appreciated.

BK
You will get differing views on this
Deposit 1st means you give up your week to Interval and allows you to seek exchanges over an extended period (3years?). Some believe this gives you higher priority for your request.
Request 1st means you do not give up your week to Interval until they match your request.
Some believe this gives you higher priority for your request as Interval do not get your week until they fulfil your exchange.
MVCI Internal exchange is a sort of hybrid option and the one we tend to favour.
It is effectively a Request 1st, but allows you to seek exchanges over an extended period beyond the check in date of the week you are offering Interval.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I can't post the results in this thread--only in the sightings forum--but if you were to use your II account and look for exchanges in Jan/Feb 2016, you would see efficiency (e), 1br and 2br exchanges ready for instant exchange (just click and exchange) on Oahu (Ko Olina), Kauai (several) and others.

Earlier today and last night, there was a lagoons exchange as well (can't remember date). There was a Waiohai several days ago.

Anytime you want to 'check' what exchange is available, you can use a made-up reservation number (8 digits, starts with 8 eg 81234567) and fill in the other information that matches your actual reservation (or planned reservation). This will allow you to search for instant exchanges without making a deposit or starting an on-going (OGS) deposit first or request first.

Good luck.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
I have registered at ownerstrade.com and listed my willingness to exchange. If I have no success in a week or two I plan to sign up at II and give that a try.
BigKahuna

I think you meant ownertrades.com. Did you just list your resort and exchange preferences and sit back and wait for someone to contact you? Or the (more likely to be successful) approach of paying the $12 fee to use the search engines to find and contact other owners interested in exchanging with you?

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Regarding ownertrades.com I did pay the 12 bucks and sent out about 10 email requests for exchanges to listings pitching their availability. I got 4 responses, all had made other arrangements for the posted weeks already. The other 6 or 7 just did not respond. A total waste of time imho. I have now listed my week on Redweek for rent and signed up at II to do an OGS.
In future years I plan to resume using these weeks at my home resort. I love it there and the exchange process just seems a little burdensome to me.

Btw a lot of the adds posted at ownertrades were For weeks in 2013-2015 so already history.

Last edited:

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
I got 4 responses, all had made other arrangements for the posted weeks already.

Out of curiosity, how far in advance of your desired time were you working? Were you offering a specific week for exchange, or did you still have the flexibility of offering to make a reservation anytime in your season?

Btw a lot of the adds posted at ownertrades were For weeks in 2013-2015 so already history.

Are you referring to exchange postings where people were offering specific (and in some cases outdated) weeks for exchange?

Because the site was never intended to be for individuals who have booked a certain week and are trying to exchange it (although some folks try to do that).

There are two big problems with that approach:

1) The entered data becomes out of date (people are not diligent about updating their own information) as you have seen, and

2) The chance of finding another owner who wants exactly what you have reserved is, not surprisingly, very small.

The site is intended for folks who plan ahead, and make arrangements with each other BEFORE either has reserved their week. That greatly increases the chances that two owners can meet each others requirements. It also allows people to put in data (where they would *consider* exchanging to some time) that is more enduring, and not needing constant updating.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Sorry you didn't get results you were hoping for, BigKahuna. MOC is a great resort, isn't it? :) Very informative input from the experts here. I'm still learning. A LOT.

Along the same lines, what if I wanted to exchange a stay at Aulani on my DVC points for a week at a deluxe resort on either Kauai or the BI for 2018? Any suggestions on that, folks? I don't want to hijack BigKahuna's thread. Just curious.

We own at MOC too, BigKahuna and love, love it. I don't want to exchange what I own there. I just want to ADD a week somewhere else to go with our weeks there. :D Good luck with getting the week(s) you are looking for!

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Reading this thread I saw something which I have a question about. The OP said that they owned in the original tower at MOC. BocaBoy and Bill4728 both said that KBC was a downtrade from MOC. We stayed in a 1 bd at KBC and while it didn't have a full kitchen everything else was fine and personally I would take KBC over lagoons (not that I would turn down a trade to lagoons) even without a kitchen because the beach is right there, but that's personal preference. But I thought the units in MOC's original tower were the same as KBC am I wrong about that?

Ian

Bill4728

Reaction score
Reading this thread I saw something which I have a question about. The OP said that they owned in the original tower at MOC. BocaBoy and Bill4728 both said that KBC was a downtrade from MOC. We stayed in a 1 bd at KBC and while it didn't have a full kitchen everything else was fine and personally I would take KBC over lagoons (not that I would turn down a trade to lagoons) even without a kitchen because the beach is right there, but that's personal preference. But I thought the units in MOC's original tower were the same as KBC am I wrong about that?

Ian
No you are right. It is just, IMHO, a TS should have a kitchen with a real frig. The fact that MOC and KBC do not makes them less attractive to me. So if you can trade from a 1 bd at MOC into a 2 bd at the other two Kauai TS then I'd alway want to trade into those TS not KBC.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It looks like you've changed your plans a number of times. When are you looking at going to Kauai now? I hope it's not January of 2016, or any time over spring break?

As I stated earlier, deposit your week into II, which I believe you did. Do a OGS for Waiohai and use the "deposit 1st" feature: I always do and get great Marriott-to-Marriott Hawaii exchanges every year. Pay the $49 for the EPlus/ReTrade feature, because even if you get Waiohai you'll have the flexibility of changing dates.

You'll luv Waiohai, we did. All the units are 2-BDRM, so you can invite someone else which can be fun. Full kitchens with W/D's. The usual Marriott barbeques. Nice beaches. Seals and turtles. Very, very peaceful and relaxing. Just don't expect any ocean views.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No you are right. It is just, IMHO, a TS should have a kitchen with a real frig. The fact that MOC and KBC do not makes them less attractive to me. So if you can trade from a 1 bd at MOC into a 2 bd at the other two Kauai TS then I'd alway want to trade into those TS not KBC.
I agree with everything you stated and we/I always trade into Marriott/Westins that have full kitchens and W/D. I also use EPlus/ReTrade to make sure that we get 2-BDRM TS's.

The only thing that I disagree with is your comment that MOC does not have full kitchens and W/D's. The two original towers at MOC do not, but the two new towers on the North (Napili) and South (Lahaina) ends of the property do have full kitchens along with W/D's. We just got back from Maui on December 13th, after spending two weeks in a 2-BDRM OF Lahaina unit, on the 6th floor (6210 and 6209), that had the full kitchen and W/D. We luv'd, luv'd, luv'd it.

Last edited: