• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Biennial usage

Yankeefan8980

Reaction score
Anyone have any info on using a biennial ownership? I'm curious if you could use a portion of your StarOptions during the use year, and roll over the remaining StarOptions for use in the non-use year? Also...do biennials have maintenance fees EVERY YEAR or just during the use year? Thanks for any help.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Yes, you can use some SOs during the usage year and bank the remaining for a fee (unless 5-star Elite). Be aware of the deadline for banking. Also, you will pay maintenance fees every year.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Anyone have any info on using a biennial ownership? I'm curious if you could use a portion of your StarOptions during the use year, and roll over the remaining StarOptions for use in the non-use year? Also...do biennials have maintenance fees EVERY YEAR or just during the use year? Thanks for any help.

Yes -- I own only biennials, and I keep the same usage year (Odd) so that whatever StarOptions aren't committed by June 30 of the Use Year, I can bank into the coming two years. My MFs are paid every year, 50% of the annual amount, as expected.

Best,

Greg

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Yes -- I own only biennials, and I keep the same usage year (Odd) so that whatever StarOptions aren't committed by June 30 of the Use Year, I can bank into the coming two years. My MFs are paid every year, 50% of the annual amount, as expected.

Best,

Greg

Just curious, when do your odd year star options show up in your account?
For example you next get star options in 2017, would you have them in your account by April 1, 2016, so you could make a reservation for Jan 1, 2017? thx

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Staroptions show up in your Acct. immediately - but the reservation window for Staroption reservations doesn't open until 8 mos. before check-in.

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Staroptions show up in your Acct. immediately - but the reservation window for Staroption reservations doesn't open until 8 mos. before check-in.

Hello! Can you clarify what immediately means? I just closed on a Vistana Villages EOY and I was guessing that the Options would show up for 2017 on Jan 1st 2016? ...allow for borrowing?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, you will be able to see the 2017 Staroptions on Jan. 1, 2016.

The question I was responding to is when "banked" Staroptions show up in your Acct.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello! Can you clarify what immediately means? I just closed on a Vistana Villages EOY and I was guessing that the Options would show up for 2017 on Jan 1st 2016? ...allow for borrowing?

As soon as the unit is transferred you will see the following at the top of the login page :
2016 "0" 2017 "81,000" (or whatever). Of course, the earliest you could book, for non home resort reservations would be End of April/First of May for January 2017 reservations.

The page only shows the year we are in, plus the next year, so right now it says 2015/2016. It should flip to 2016/2017 January 1.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Not only do you pay 1/2 MF every year, you also pay the full SVN program fee every year as well. A few locations also charge a small fee in addition to 1/2 MF for EOY. For example I think one or two locations in the old Vistana system pay 1/2 MF plus $25. I am not sure where and it is a possibility I am mixing it up with another system.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have been told by a SVN rep that I could only borrow for use to another odd year if I owned an odd year. For example, I could borrow you 2019 points for use in 2017 but could not borrow your 2019 points for use in 2018 or borrow your 2017 points for use in 2016.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You pay half the MF each use year.

You can roll options for a banking fee. You can then use them for the next 3 years but at 8 month's
I have been told by a SVN rep that I could only borrow for use to another odd year if I owned an odd year. For example, I could borrow you 2019 points for use in 2017 but could not borrow your 2019 points for use in 2018 or borrow your 2017 points for use in 2016.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Not true. Once you are booking at under 8 month's it is effectively always a star option booking. For example in Hawaii you lose your view preference of you don't book at 12-9 month's.

So if the first use year you have is 2017 it will be visible to book on 1/1/2016.

When you bank starootions you can no longer use them in your use year 2017 but instead have 2018, 19 And 20 to use them in.

I bought a unit in 2013 with 2013 use. I had already booked my 2013 vacation so I banked those points. Finally finishing them up in 2016.

The staroption treatment is the same for both ey and eoy. That's why you have to pay an SVN fee every year, so you can use SVN every year.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. Once you are booking at under 8 month's it is effectively always a star option booking. For example in Hawaii you lose your view preference of you don't book at 12-9 month's.

So if the first use year you have is 2017 it will be visible to book on 1/1/2016.

When you bank starootions you can no longer use them in your use year 2017 but instead have 2018, 19 And 20 to use them in.

I bought a unit in 2013 with 2013 use. I had already booked my 2013 vacation so I banked those points. Finally finishing them up in 2016.

The staroption treatment is the same for both ey and eoy. That's why you have to pay an SVN fee every year, so you can use SVN every year.

Thanks for the reply. What I was told didn't make sense. I don't have an actual need to borrow right now but wanted to know my alternatives.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What I was told didn't make sense. I don't have an actual need to borrow right now but wanted to know my alternatives.
Borrow is the other thing you can now do. Pay estimated MF for the next use year and borrow points. Not sure that can be done on eoy as next use year is 2 years our. Or maybe can be done in the no use years.