• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My wife bought a deal at Westgate yesterday.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I hope you rescinded and did it exactly as the paperwork requires.

You own Hilton and are happy with that. I would add another Hilton ownership to that one and forget Westgate. It's not the same quality at all as your Hilton. The Hilton resorts are extremely nice and kept up, and I cannot say that about Westgate. Really awful company and product.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently either party can purchase from westgate individually. They ask if married that both attend, I didn't stay after the breakfast and walk around. I went and tour the property without the salesman. I didn't ask permission and no one stopped me. She stayed with my sons at the eating area and upon return I was informed she was in the closing office. I didn't sign anything and my name wasn't on anything.

I hope you walked away from this Westgate contract. Just so you know, and pulling no punches, your deed will be worthless as soon as you sign on the bottom. And please dont take any financing from them. The owner of Westgate has a reputation for taking your money and running (to the bank with it) and putting very little back into his resorts.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you walked away from this Westgate contract. Just so you know, and pulling no punches, your deed will be worthless as soon as you sign on the bottom. And please dont take any financing from them. The owner of Westgate has a reputation for taking your money and running (to the bank with it) and putting very little back into his resorts.

Here's the Wiki on his home called Versailles

Reaction score
We are still in Orlando, papers signed on Sunday. It says 10 day recission on the papers in the hidden compartment. Should we hand deliver the binder and junk back to the resort to save the postage? Maybe leave it at the front desk people along with a copy of the letter to rescind.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can but they may try to re-direct you to sales. Make sure you get a receipt for the return of the binder.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to do as the instructions say exactly. I'd get a return receipt proof of mailing .

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are still in Orlando, papers signed on Sunday. It says 10 day recission on the papers in the hidden compartment. Should we hand deliver the binder and junk back to the resort to save the postage? Maybe leave it at the front desk people along with a copy of the letter to rescind.

You can but they may try to re-direct you to sales. Make sure you get a receipt for the return of the binder.

An easy way to deal with that is for the husband to return the stuff (sine he isn't on the contract) and make sure the wife doesn't answer the phone. They will try to get her to change her mind.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score

I had the same thing happen to me with Bluegreen. The next day, after we cooled down, we returned their binders and other sales material. They were not pleasant to us-- but it got done. Then I sent a certified letter to the address as listed in the contract. I also called the credit card company and asked them to reverse the charges.

Therefore, I would absolutely return the binder to Westgate and I would attach a rescission letter signed by your wife. As the husband you can claim you have no interest in the timeshare and demand a refund of cash outlaid. I'd get a receipt for the binder, if they'll give you one. Make sure you write down, or copy, the address for mailing in the recession letter before you return everything. Also, make sure that you get names, and titles, of the people with whom you spoke when you drop off the binder. It will be unpleasant --but just hold your ground and you'll be fine.

Then I'd follow up with another recession letter, sent to the exact place listed in your contract. Make sure you ask for a return signature from the resort.

If your wife gave a down payment on a credit card call the credit card company and ask them to reverse the charges.

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me with Bluegreen. The next day, after we cooled down, we returned their binders and other sales material. They were not pleasant to us-- but it got done. Then I sent a certified letter to the address as listed in the contract. I also called the credit card company and asked them to reverse the charges.

Therefore, I would absolutely return the binder to Westgate and I would attach a rescission letter signed by your wife. As the husband you can claim you have no interest in the timeshare and demand a refund of cash outlaid. I'd get a receipt for the binder, if they'll give you one. Make sure you write down, or copy, the address for mailing in the recession letter before you return everything. Also, make sure that you get names, and titles, of the people with whom you spoke when you drop off the binder. It will be unpleasant --but just hold your ground and you'll be fine.

Then I'd follow up with another recession letter, sent to the exact place listed in your contract. Make sure you ask for a return signature from the resort.

If your wife gave a down payment on a credit card call the credit card company and ask them to reverse the charges.

We typed out a letter based on the information on here and in the contract. She signed it and we made three copies. Sent one copy with a copy of the contract to the address specified to rescind. Sent the second copy with the binder in a box as media mail to the resort. The certified is due to arrive on Monday which will have been nine calendar days since it was signed. The box will arrive at the resort before Wednesday.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We typed out a letter based on the information on here and in the contract. She signed it and we made three copies. Sent one copy with a copy of the contract to the address specified to rescind. Sent the second copy with the binder in a box as media mail to the resort. The certified is due to arrive on Monday which will have been nine calendar days since it was signed. The box will arrive at the resort before Wednesday.

As long as you mail it before the rescission period is up, you are covered. It doesn't necessarily have to arrive before the rescission period is up. Either case, you are covered. Congratulations on cancelling in time.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I assume / hope that you sent your rescission letter by certified mail, thereby obtaining hard copy proof of postmark date from the USPS counter.
Only the postmark date ultimately matters in the eyes of the law, regardless of when actual delivery to the recipient occurs.

I worry a bit when people refer to "mailing date" in regard to rescission correspondence, particularly if sent close to the rescission "deadline".
If, for example, a letter is just tossed into a local mailbox, it could easily be several days (particularly around Federal holidays) before that letter gets postmarked.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on making the smart choice in time!

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Congratulations on rescinding! I hope you and your wife will take a tour around this forum. Read up on timesharing and then discuss purchasing something resale. A great many of us enjoy our timeshares and have a great time using them. We just don't like paying developer costs when you can buy the same thing resale for a few bucks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As much as people are touting buying resale. I would never recommend a resale Westgate timeshare. They make it miserable to try to buy and put the seller through the wringer making them think the week needs to go through ROFR when if likely may not. They drag their feet on transferring ownership and are just a bad company to deal with. Then there are the additional restrictions on a resale timeshare from Westgate. Never buy a Westgate, resale or developer, NEVER!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yessa!

As much as people are touting buying resale. I would never recommend a resale Westgate timeshare. They make it miserable to try to buy and put the seller through the wringer making them think the week needs to go through ROFR when if likely may not. They drag their feet on transferring ownership and are just a bad company to deal with. Then there are the additional restrictions on a resale timeshare from Westgate. Never buy a Westgate, resale or developer, NEVER!

Well said; I agree wholeheartedly. The words "Westgate" and "Never" go together just perfectly.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume / hope that you sent your rescission letter by certified mail, thereby obtaining hard copy proof of postmark date from the USPS counter.
Only the postmark date ultimately matters in the eyes of the law, regardless of when actual delivery to the recipient occurs.

I worry a bit when people refer to "mailing date" in regard to rescission correspondence, particularly if sent close to the rescission "deadline".
If, for example, a letter is just tossed into a local mailbox, it could easily be several days (particularly around Federal holidays) before that letter gets postmarked.

I agree, I would pay Fed X to ensure next day delivery and that is my opinion only.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, I would pay Fed X to ensure next day delivery and that is my opinion only.

Well......I assume / hope that you would not use FedEx if the rescission instructions clearly and precisely identified U.S. Mail as the delivery mechanism.

"Speed" of delivery is a whole lot less important than proof of postmark date and compliance with any and all contractually specified rescission instructions.