• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thanksgiving 2016

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Got my 2016 Thanksgiving week! Though I have booked this almost every year, this is the first time that there were no hiccups, delays, etc. with the MVC reservations website.

I was a little worried based upon the system's inability to handle the load in the past, and the recent issues.

Unfortunately, the ability to pay MF has also been restored...

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was successful as well, though the site did crash initially for me at 9 am. I had it ready to go on alternate browsers and devices though so I didn't have to start over. And likewise, member fees are again available.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
My BIL just reported that he has not been able to secure Thanksgiving at Shadow Ridge for next year. He said that the dates are all "white". I don't know what that means, booked or not available?

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
My BIL just reported that he has not been able to secure Thanksgiving at Shadow Ridge for next year. He said that the dates are all "white". I don't know what that means, booked or not available?
He can call to get on a wait list. If someone booked and cancels, he could still get in that way. A least I think there is a wait list for weeks......someone?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
If there is no green link, it's unavailable. Did he check right at 6/9am? All check-in days were available when I refreshed exactly at that time, but they usually go within a minute or two.

He can call to get on a wait list. If someone booked and cancels, he could still get in that way. A least I think there is a wait list for weeks......someone?
And also definitely have him check back daily for a week or so. I have seen in the past where inventory reappears after having been depleted.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Nope. There's a Waitlist for DC Points but not for Weeks. It's a good idea to keep trying, though, because of cancelations.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Susan, with weeks, do we just check the site daily for any openings?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Susan, with weeks, do we just check the site daily for any openings?
I've done this in the past (when I miscalculated the res date) for Thanksgiving and got the week a few days later when it reappeared.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If there is no green link, it's unavailable. Did he check right at 6/9am? All check-in days were available when I refreshed exactly at that time, but they usually go within a minute or two.

And also definitely have him check back daily for a week or so. I have seen in the past where inventory reappears after having been depleted.
He called and it was booked. He did not log in until a few minutes after 9 :wall:

He said the same thing happened last year and he got it after a few hours of checking back in.

I have already traded into Thanksgiving for next year (I am EOY, he is EY) so hoping he can get in!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
He called and it was booked. He did not log in until a few minutes after 9 :wall:

He said the same thing happened last year and he got it after a few hours of checking back in.

I have already traded into Thanksgiving for next year (I am EOY, he is EY) so hoping he can get in!
If he's going to call, best strategy is to call AND log in. I don't call but login in at 10 minutes prior, then go to the calendar and refresh a few times to keep the connection active. You can sync up to their clock as it shows down to the second every time you refresh.

As indicated above, I have always experienced glitches in the past, but none this morning. Hope this helps in the future.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got a text back from him. He has been checking online since 9AM eastern and more inventory just showed up so he is booked. :banana:

I am wondering how that works. At 9AM eastern, it sells out. 2.5 hours later there are that many cancellations that there is more inventory?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Just got a text back from him. He has been checking online since 9AM eastern and more inventory just showed up so he is booked. :banana:

I am wondering how that works. At 9AM eastern, it sells out. 2.5 hours later there are that many cancellations that there is more inventory?

All it takes to see inventory is for one reservation to be cancelled and put back in the pool.

There are some multi-Week owners who take advantage of the 13-mos Reservation Window to book consecutive/concurrent Weeks when they don't intend to use all of them, then based on MVW's advice they cancel whatever reservations they don't want at the 12-mos mark. There seems to be a lag time between when they're canceled and when they become available.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was able to lock off and reserve our Grande Vista week yesterday. No problems or hiccups. Though I don't usually book at the 12 month mark so nothing really to compare it to.

Another option for someone who doesn't get the week they want. They could always reserve and deposit the week in II and exchange in instead. I see a lot of Shadow Ridge 1BR and studio units available for Thanksgiving 2016. Though no 2BR units.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
I've done this in the past (when I miscalculated the res date) for Thanksgiving and got the week a few days later when it reappeared.

A few years back I totally spaced on the date and I called in later in the day and still got it. I think it was a strange year where the reservation day ended up being on Thanksgiving so Friday became the day to call in.

This year I made the mistake of locking off when making the reservation and by the time I went back to reserve the studio there was nothing left. I recall a few times being charged a reservation change fee when locking off later in the year and I was hoping to avoid that. I have not been able to get a straight answer from Marriott on whether they were supposed to charge me that fee but maybe someone here can clue me in on the specifics.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
A few years back I totally spaced on the date and I called in later in the day and still got it. I think it was a strange year where the reservation day ended up being on Thanksgiving so Friday became the day to call in.

This year I made the mistake of locking off when making the reservation and by the time I went back to reserve the studio there was nothing left. I recall a few times being charged a reservation change fee when locking off later in the year and I was hoping to avoid that. I have not been able to get a straight answer from Marriott on whether they were supposed to charge me that fee but maybe someone here can clue me in on the specifics.
Unless your week is enrolled, you should be charged for locking off, whenever you do it.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
Unless your week is enrolled, you should be charged for locking off, whenever you do it.

Sorry, had to bump this one to see if anyone can clear up my question. At least once in the past I had a 2 bedroom reserved and called in just to lock off the unit without changing the week and I was charged the $80 to lock off PLUS a "Reservation Change Fee" of around $49. I don't know if this was correct or if the adviser just made a mistake.