• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Williamsburg at Christmas (Day trip to DC)

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We check in Christmas Day in Williamsburg for a week. At some point we may drive back to Charlottesville and visit Monticello. We are definitely taking a day and going to DC.

My question is about DC. Due to it being cold, I don't want to do a "ton" of walking outside. The original plan was to hit the National Archives and the Air & Space museum since they are both on the same metro line and there is a stop close to each one. Is it possible to fit in a tour of the Capitol on the same day? Or would we be happier going to Chantilly to the Air & Space museum there to see the shuttle?

Also, what is there around Williamsburg that wouldn't be on a top 5 list? I've already walked all of Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown settlement & a few other things. Looking for something that "locals" would recommend.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
The waterfront in Norfolk might be be a possibility.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
it's a really short walk from Archives to Air. You can also take the green or yellow line at archives to right across the street from air--but unless there is a blizzard, it's a 10 minute nice walk down 7th Street. the bigger issue will be parking. You will have to use a parking garage and if it is snowing, just forget trying to drive into DC--better to park at Pentagon city mall and take the metro in.
Air at Dulles is really interesting--but a ton of walking thru airplane hangers (indoors). Dulles is an easy connection to route 66 which takes you to towards Charlottesville. Just went to Monticello--worth a visit. There is also Montpelier in Orange, VA, which was Madison's home. Shirley Plantation is near Wllbg is on DD's to do list.
There is no metro from Air to Capitol. 20-30 min nice walk past American Indian Museum (where you oculd take a look, get food/drink/warm up) or take a cab for under $10. Plenty of time to also do Capitol tour--check with representive in advance as they might be on Christmas leave.
ps--Sunday after Christmas will be a horrific travel day on interstates--plan to stay in Wllbg that day.

Last edited:

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yes. Forgot to mention that we would be parking at Pentagon City. We did that last May. Got off the Metro at Smithsonian station. Walked all over the place and almost 7 miles later got back on at Foggy Bottom. Will keep all of these suggestions in mind.

Also, our representative is on permanent leave. Cough, Boehner, cough.

jasenj1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello. I live in Newport News, about 1/2 hr from Williamsburg.

Some things not on a "top 5" list.

How about the Mariners Museum in Newport News? The Peninsula Fine Arts Center is adjacent and the Noland Trail is there for a nice walk through the woods (a popular local place to walk dogs & run).

There is also the Yorktown waterfront and the Waterman's Museum.

It sounds like you are not afraid to drive, so you might like visiting the battleship Wisconsin and Nauticus in Norfolk - next to the MacArthur Center Mall.

Hampton has a Bass Pro Shops store.

In Williamsburg there is the Muscarelle Museum of Art. (#6 on TripAdvisor's list of Williamsburg museums, so it meets your criteria. ;))

Or you could come by my house. No, you can't. :)

- Jasen.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ahhh yes. Forgot to mention that we would be parking at Pentagon City. We did that last May. Got off the Metro at Smithsonian station. Walked all over the place and almost 7 miles later got back on at Foggy Bottom. Will keep all of these suggestions in mind.

Also, our representative is on permanent leave. Cough, Boehner, cough.

I think the Udvar-Hazy is better than the SASM. You pay for parking, but the museum is delightful. Amazing IMAX cinema too. I like the capital tour, but that will definitely require some walking and standing outside. I'd skip it till cherry blossom time. One alternative to the metro: take the hop-on/off bus. It's a bit pricey (coupons?) but the service stops everywhere you need to go with a lot less walking. I wouldn't waste it on one or two stops obviously, but if you decide to see all the sights (maybe the weather is nice) you could grab tickets and park near a less busy stop (usually decent parking by FDR monument) and jump on from there. Just a thought for this time or next. (parking advice--YMMV)

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No need to take metro to go from the Smithsonian to the Capitol unless you have health issues. It is an easy walk. Plus metro isn't free and it does take time.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are tour companies that run day trips from Williamsburg to DC. Look online to see what they cost and where they go.