• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I have been noticing in the "Rentals Offered" section...

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
That most of the unit are located in florida or east coast area both north and south..

Don't really see much out west.

guess what some 80% of timeshare resorts are on the east coast if not in florida alone :). I was hoping to see more unit out west when we go full time RVing in 4-6 years..

Getting a week in a nice resort, a chance to get out of the tin can, (airstream) and have a bedroom big as my trailer would be nice to look forward to along the way.

I check out the last min stuff on RCI but it snow/mud time for most places out west for the part.

any word if RCI is gong to do the 3 yr for 2 price again.. and is that a deal vs getting 5 yr deal.

wish i have gotten a couple more of the south african deal with 10 yrs memberships.. I remember reading folk that got 40-50 yrs :p

have a good one.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
That most of the unit are located in florida or east coast area both north and south..

Don't really see much out west.

guess what some 80% of timeshare resorts are on the east coast if not in florida alone :). I was hoping to see more unit out west when we go full time RVing in 4-6 years..

Getting a week in a nice resort, a chance to get out of the tin can, (airstream) and have a bedroom big as my trailer would be nice to look forward to along the way.

I check out the last min stuff on RCI but it snow/mud time for most places out west for the part.

any word if RCI is gong to do the 3 yr for 2 price again.. and is that a deal vs getting 5 yr deal.

wish i have gotten a couple more of the south african deal with 10 yrs memberships.. I remember reading folk that got 40-50 yrs :p

have a good one.

Take a look at Worldmark for west coast stuff

And if you don't want to own, find a Worldmark owner that will rent to you

Or post a rentals wanted ad. They will find you

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I find plenty to rent on the west coast. But much of that is on RCI not TUG.

And when I've posted rentals wanted people are often helpful.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I got my West coast rental on Redweek a few years ago.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Grand Pacific has a lot of inventory and if you own one you get access to GPX bonus weeks. They have frequent half price sales on bonus weeks, you can snag them for $400-$500. I have an eoy 1br just for that. I booked a 2br xmas week in Scottsdale for $375, going to play some golf.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Keep in mind that a fair number of resorts will not let you park your RV in the lot of the TS.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
Carl,

We will be fulltime RVing in 2-3 years and have been concerned about the parking situation at resorts. Have you given that much consideration yet? Would hate to pay for a week in a campground while staying at a resort and don't feel comfortable leaving the fifth wheel in a Wal-Mart parking lot somewhere :doh:.

We don't plan to give up timesharing but haven't come up with any good ideas on how to handle this.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are seeing so many Florida rental ads because a lot of people who live in frigid and snowy areas, especially up and down the eastern seaboard, want to go to a warmer area, at least for a few weeks, and not have to drive on cold icy roads and deal with black-outs etc...

When my husband and I retired, we bought 7 consecutive weeks (late January to early March) at the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort so we could vacation there for a few months until the weather up north warmed up. At that time a lot of retirees were purchasing winter homes as a second home. But they had to worry about a lot of things going wrong during their long absenses.

Owning timeshare weeks in Florida is one of the best thinkg we ever did.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will join the chorus of those cautioning that RV parking at or near resorts is either not allowed, or expensive, or iffy (do you really want to leave your rolling home unattended in a Wal-Mart parking lot?)

We have a good size 5th wheel and have never been able to successfully combine RV and timeshare travel. Good luck with this enterprise.

Jim

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Google RV Timesharing if the above site does not work!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You are seeing so many Florida rental ads because a lot of people who live in frigid and snowy areas, especially up and down the eastern seaboard, want to go to a warmer area, at least for a few weeks, and not have to drive on cold icy roads and deal with black-outs etc...

When my husband and I retired, we bought 7 consecutive weeks (late January to early March) at the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort so we could vacation there for a few months until the weather up north warmed up. At that time a lot of retirees were purchasing winter homes as a second home. But they had to worry about a lot of things going wrong during their long absenses.

Owning timeshare weeks in Florida is one of the best thinkg we ever did.

I think this is such a great idea, but the only thing I would be worrying about is how to get rid of those 7 weeks when the time comes that you need to.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is such a great idea, but the only thing I would be worrying about is how to get rid of those 7 weeks when the time comes that you need to.

Buy the fixed 7 weeks you want (preferable for as close to nothing as possible) and then just give them away in the bargain deals section.

Think of whatever you initially pay as your "buy in" cost.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Buy the fixed 7 weeks you want (preferable for as close to nothing as possible) and then just give them away in the bargain deals

Think of whatever you initially pay as your "buy in" cost.
section.

I know. But-First, acquiring 7 free consecutive weeks seems like almost an impossibility. Then, trying to dispose of those 7 weeks to me would be overwhelming.

I like the idea, but.....

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
section.

I know. But-First, acquiring 7 free consecutive weeks seems like almost an impossibility. Then, trying to dispose of those 7 weeks to me would be overwhelming.

I like the idea, but.....

impossibility? I really don't think so. and listing it on this website for free probably not that hard either...

Especially if you go to Orlando.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I subscribe to the greater fool theory..

If I think its a good idea there is probably a greater fool that thinks so too, Ill sell to them

There are a lot of people that come to Florida in the Winter. I made my living selling homes and condos to them.

7 weeks in a timeshare seems a much better alternative than owning outright

I doubt that you would have a problem selling a package like this

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
For the record, Sedona Pines has onsite RV parking. I'm fairly certain this resort was an RV park before it was converted to timeshare manufactured cottages. There are about ten RV parking sites with hookups at the front.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
About the parking issue, some RV campgrounds will let you store an RV for less than the cost of a full spot with hook-ups. (Hook-ups for an RV that is, not hook-ups with the campground's owner! :) ) There are also self-storage places that will store RVs in locked lots or inside a building. However, I've only looked into this in Florida. I don't know if these exist in other areas.

When my husband and I retired, we bought 7 consecutive weeks (late January to early March) at the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort so we could vacation there for a few months until the weather up north warmed up. At that time a lot of retirees were purchasing winter homes as a second home. But they had to worry about a lot of things going wrong during their long absenses...
Interesting idea! How did you find seven consecutive weeks? Did you have to buy them from the developer, and were you able to stay in teh same unit the whole seven weeks?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Interesting idea! How did you find seven consecutive weeks? Did you have to buy them from the developer, and were you able to stay in the same unit the whole seven weeks?

Our system HIVC point system, we can do that in a off season like Myrtle beach Jan, Feb, and march, pretty reasonable. You can use one reservation fee and they will come once a week to thoroughly clean, new towels, etc. I'm sure I could get a lot of the other locations HIVC has as well. You just need the points.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea! How did you find seven consecutive weeks? Did you have to buy them from the developer, and were you able to stay in the same unit the whole seven weeks?

Answering for Jennie ... I know her & her weeks and I also own MANY FLBR weeks ... back in the day, those weeks could be had for about $1-2500 plus FREE closing on eBay. Some she and I paid MORE for the week, too.

And while she has a string of weeks ... they are NOT all in the same unit.

That resort is unique ... the Front Desk staff WILL try to keep your moves to a minimum ... Jennie has FRIDAY checkin days mostly ... one week is a Saturday. And she tries to trade me her FRI week following the SAT week to stay a 2nd week in her Sat unit. She owns a low FRI floor with intercoastal view and I own a HIGHER oceanview Sat floor unit. And I try yearly to trade her SAT unit for a FRI unit I own for that week ... so she does NOT have an unit overlapping and I don't have a friend homeless at the end of their stay while having 2 units for the Friday checkin day.

Adventures in fun! We both own weeks NOT at the FLBR for that same time frame ... called spreading the RISK due to weather damage and possible resort issues (special assessments). And SURPRISE, we own at the same "secondary" resorts and time frame.

I also want to say ... eBay has been a primary source of weeks but other owners regularly approach me with offers to GIVE or SELL me their weeks. Getting into those conversations ... with other owners ... I start with the question of "what do you know of the price of those weeks selling here?" ... most are realistic but be prepared for "I paid $7500 in 199x and it should be $15000 now" or "I know these are selling for less but I would like $3750". And my respond is "Sorry, I can't meet your offer; but your week is a GREAT/NICE/"Pretty Good" one. Wish you luck." Or I mention I already own that week in unit 123. Now, if I want THAT week & unit around their price .... I might get into conversation as to terms of purchasing it.

But FLBR is NOT a points based resort ... it is still all Fixed Weeks. Yes, there is RCI Points conversions .. but those ALL have an underlying fixed week. The success of that resort reflects the HIGH demand for the lower season times. It is very near the ocean but NOT on the beach. It is in a older style neighborhood but it is a very beach vacation "style" with a prime local bar with an international exporsure .. if Jennifer Lopez filmed a music video there ... for the WORLD Soccer championship and used the frontage & closed the street ... it is NOT a place without character. And there is WALK TO dining also in the area. And a very nearby Water Taxi stop, etc. And the next door neighbor, the Bonnet House & Gardens. Boat Show, Air Show, near the Cruise port, high end Galleria Mall is a long block away, etc.

And it is a VRI affiliated resort ... trading in RCI, RCI points, II, Vri'ety ... and all 2/2 units are lockoffs.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark works well as a second home. You can make reservations as long as you have credits to support,. So you can make one three month reservation and you ought to be able to stay in the same unit the whole time,

And if you did your three months in the off season, (think Palm Springs in the Summer) it can be done pretty cheap. Call your favorite Worldmark MegaRenter to set it up.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed information, Linda! and thanks for the suggestions, Tank and Ron!

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Hey Vicki
Yes we have considered that.. there are RV parks what have some type of short term storage on site. While i haven't really tried to figure that part out at this time I am sure it not that hard a project.. You might have to drive a bit 30-50 miles to storage place but I would not consider leaving the Airstream at a Walmart for sure. I would make sure we could get storage before doing a timeshare week.

good luck on your fulltiming.. Are you going to do any workamping or volunteer jobs?. I follow 6-9 people of all ages that full time, some are in website design, telecommute etc. and others work at amazon warehouse for 3.5 months till dec 23 and travel rest of year..

Carl,

We will be fulltime RVing in 2-3 years and have been concerned about the parking situation at resorts. Have you given that much consideration yet? Would hate to pay for a week in a campground while staying at a resort and don't feel comfortable leaving the fifth wheel in a Wal-Mart parking lot somewhere :doh:.

We don't plan to give up timesharing but haven't come up with any good ideas on how to handle this.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
Hey Vicki

good luck on your fulltiming.. Are you going to do any workamping or volunteer jobs?. I follow 6-9 people of all ages that full time, some are in website design, telecommute etc. and others work at amazon warehouse for 3.5 months till dec 23 and travel rest of year..

Carl,

We probably won't workkamp the first few years as there are a lot of places we want to see. After that it will depend on how bored hubby is. (And our budget at that time.) We've just sold our house (of 30 years) and 12 lots and downsized into an apartment until he retires and he is already worried about not having enough to do. Fortunately, getting the new RV set up the way we want it is keeping him occupied right now. ;)