• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So mad. Has anyone else had this happen with RCI? Sry long

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Mountain View at Crown Ridge
Just got off the phone with RCI. I decided I was going to take them up on their offer to return full trading power if I deposited my March 2016 studio by October 31. The rep said he was not qualified to do it so he put me on hold until it was completed. When he returned he said I received the full trading power of 8. I was expecting 10 as my studio had been recently lowered in TPU worth from 14 to 10 sometime in 2015.
I told him 8 was not the right number as he could easily see in the upcoming years. He agreed the he could see what I was looking at but that sometimes this happens if they are different weeks. I told him it is a fixed week (the same interval each year that does not include a holiday) and that the week had not fluctuated from year to year in the last 15 years. That the week only goes down in value whenever RCI feels like it. This is a ski week that was originally worth 10 TPU when it was firstlisted on their site and weeks in the next years are worth 10. I asked to speak to a supervisor to check why this was happening. He put me on hold again and came back saying that the supervisor sad this was normal even though the studio is worth 10 TPU in 2017. He also said look the other side of your lockoff I worth more TPU.Of course I told him that was because the other half was a 2 bdroom.
So I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this on a week that never is not a holiday some years and not others. I purchased this condo in 2001 and have traded it mostly through RCI so I understand how RCI has treated it. I think they are making up rules as they go now. :annoyed:

A second thing I noticed was when I went to combine two previous deposits instead of it increasing the amount of time I had to travel as it had in the past, it shortened m travel window by I think a year.

Last edited:

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen my 2017 week at Winner's Circle worth more TPU in 2017 than in 2016. Got fed up with RCI long time back and deposited my week in Interval, where it is a really good trader.

On combining the TPU's, I haven't done it in a while, but I thought it was two years out from the date you combined? Unless they changed the rules about that.:crash:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
When I look at Mountain view at Crown ridge studio either with a mini kitchen or no kitchen for March 2016 This is what I see.
Deposit Trading Power
Maximum Trading Power
Current Trading Power

When I look at March 2017 I see:
Deposit Trading Power
Maximum Trading Power
Current Trading Power

I guess they downgraded the tpu's for the deposits again. If you can't look yourself and do screenshots, you should double check with the agent before depositing rather than assume the value for the week.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess they downgraded the tpu's for the deposits again. If you can't look yourself and do screenshots, you should double check with the agent before depositing rather than assume the value for the week.

I am not assuming anything. I did see that it was 10 originally before it started losing trading power (RCI's offer is to restore trading power) and I can still see in my account that the same interval for 2017 in my "RCI's weeks available to deposit" that the TPU amount is 10. The RCI guide could see it also. I did not assume anything.
Also not sure which week you were comparing but my interval is week 10. Still a ski week. After this week the TPUs do drop.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Right now in the deposit calculator week 9 for 2016 is showing
Deposit Trading Power
Maximum Trading Power
Current Trading Power

Week 10 for 2016 shows:
Deposit Trading Power
Maximum Trading Power
Current Trading Power

Week 10 for 2017 shows:
Deposit Trading Power
Maximum Trading Power
Current Trading Power

I think your assumption would be a totally logical one. I am certainly not criticizing you for it. You assumed that the 10 you saw for your trading power for the 2016 week originally, was set. It isn't set until you deposit. RCI fiddles with trading power for deposits a few times a year. The fiddle with the ones available for deposit, occurs much more frequently sometimes from day to day. It sounds like you did not check what the maximum trading power for your deposit when you made the deposit either through the online calculator or by asking the RCI agent. I have heard it suggested to make a screenshot of the calculator just before depositing in case you run into something different.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I joined RCI about 30 years ago when I bought my first TS, a Sabal Palms Week. It was reasonably priced and worked pretty well. Then the original owners sold out. Ever since the focus has been to emphasize profit maximization at the expense of customer service.

George

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Strange to say it, but in some ways I miss the old 'black box' method of setting trade value at RCI. I joined the Weeks trading system because it seemed like by checking frequently and at odd hours I could score trade bargains. Since they went to a Weeks/points system, it is much harder to get a deal and, as the OP notes, the values seem to fluctuate arbitrarily. Northeast holiday ski weeks have taken a beating.
I am trading more in II as a result.
This all comes back to my theory that points systems boil down to a dollar value per point and there is little advantage to joining one over using actual dollars.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Strange to say it, but in some ways I miss the old 'black box' method of setting trade value at RCI. I joined the Weeks trading system because it seemed like by checking frequently and at odd hours I could score trade bargains. Since they went to a Weeks/points system, it is much harder to get a deal and, as the OP notes, the values seem to fluctuate arbitrarily. Northeast holiday ski weeks have taken a beating.
I am trading more in II as a result.
This all comes back to my theory that points systems boil down to a dollar value per point and there is little advantage to joining one over using actual dollars.

That's what I thought when I decided not to convert our weeks to points. I also stopped using RCI as soon as they went to the TPU system and I never regretted it. I had total success exchanging my weeks before hand and something bothered me about the new system, though I couldn't put my finger on it and everyone else thought it was great, so I figured maybe I just missing something.

Iwant2gonow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think your assumption would be a totally logical one. I am certainly not criticizing you for it. You assumed that the 10 you saw for your trading power for the 2016 week originally, was set. It isn't set until you deposit. RCI fiddles with trading power for deposits a few times a year. The fiddle with the ones available for deposit, occurs much more frequently sometimes from day to day.

Thanks I did not realize this. I thought the only time my trading deposit went down "once posted to my account" was when it hit those windows of time say 9 months out, then 6 month out etc.
So if I understand you correctly when I see on my RCI account the weeks available to deposit, my 2017 week 6 and week 10 Studios are worth 10 TPU, this is not guaranteed? I could sign in tomorrow and it could be different?

Luckily I was able to snag the studio week back because it was still pending when he got back on the phone. Now I'm in a quandary as to how to precede because this deposit was part of a plan. So I am going to ask advice from fellow tuggers again in a new post in exchanging.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. The value for a deposit can change (before it is deposited). It is not nearly as fluid as what you see when you are looking for an exchange. Typically adjustments are made 2-4 times a year. I don't think it happens more than once quarterly. So if it changes today, I wouldn't expect it to change again for another 3-6 months but there aren't any guarantees. A couple of times a year you will notice posts on TUG about complaints that the value of their deposits went down and often others will check and post if they have seen a change as well. Occasionally you will get posts from those whose value has gone up. More seem to go down than come up.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what I thought when I decided not to convert our weeks to points. I also stopped using RCI as soon as they went to the TPU system and I never regretted it. I had total success exchanging my weeks before hand and something bothered me about the new system, though I couldn't put my finger on it and everyone else thought it was great, so I figured maybe I just missing something.

I have an off off season week that is valued 10-11 tpu's. Before the change, it would not be unusual for me to be able to trade up at the same resort to a nice shoulder season/early in season week that now has a tpu's value of 17-19. Can't do this anymore. On the other side I have bought some weeks that give me more than enough change to make up the difference. Without the transparency it was more of a guess to know what RCI values in the way of deposits.

travelplus

Reaction score
No this has never happened to me and I am so sorry OP. I just call up the Diamond Customer Service line and have them split my week and then play around with the TPU calculator to get my week.

We were at the Hilton Mar Brisa last year under construction and we were awoken very early in the morning. To make a long story short RCI returned our week and I was able to get 3 weeks at the Sedona Pines Resort(while not a Hilton) I love Arizona and don't mind being a bit out of town and got 2 bedrooms there for this January.

I want to explore Flagstaff and have never been there. My point is you need to figure out the TPU value before giving it up.

Why would RCI ask you to give up the full value and give you less?