• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval Leisure Group to buy SVO

Debbie118

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard a rumor that Interval Leisure Group is looking to buy Starwood Vacation Ownership. Thoughts?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you hear it from a timeshare sales person?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rumors are cheap, although we know Starwood is reorganizing.

What is the source?

Debbie118

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard this on CNBC news. Time frame was within the week a definitive announcement.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It wouldn't be the worst news. It really hasn't seemed to change much for Hyatt owners.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
So this would mean the scrapping of the whole VSE idea and concept??? ...Or would VSE essentially be an entity underneath ILG???

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Very interesting development. I can't even begin to speculate on what that would mean.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think this would be a logical conclusion, for the same reason that Hyatt being acquired by Interval made sense too. This would definitely scrap VSE, but VSE may have been a giant "For Sale" sign anyway.

I think Bastroum may be onto something that this could favorably impact Starwood deposits for traders. Interesting.

Best,

Greg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am sticking with 'own where I go' strategy

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be the worst news. It really hasn't seemed to change much for Hyatt owners.

Do you know what changed for Hyatt?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be interested in knowing what this means for Harborside. Harborside is really a joint venture of Starwood and Kerzner, so I wonder if we'll be treated differently than the Westin, Sheraton, and/or Vistana owners.

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, nothing has changed, but there is talk about a 'pure points' system. Don't know what this means as Hyatt already has a points system. I suspect it might be a way to get more money from existing owners, a la Marriott. Intervals' pockets must be deep, first Hyatt, now Starwood..

Do you know what changed for Hyatt?

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain what all this mean to the timeshare community?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is also a rumor that HVGC is being sold and another rumor that HGVC may switch to II (a byproduct of being sold :ponder:)

Just rumors at this point. Interesting that there is so much change in the industry at once.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Do we just love to speculate??? :ponder:

I am wonding that if SVO was to be bought by ILG, would SVO owners also be merged into the same system with Hyatt and would that bring new internal exchange options for us since technically it is the same company, or would the 2 systems but separate underlying entities?

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time will obviously tell - but as when they announced the new spinoff - Long Term Marketing/Naming deals were signed meaning little change in what we actually see. Just different name under different umbrella.

I read some about Hyatt today and it appears they acquired, but it operates as its own unit but gives them additional balance sheet leverage.

All about the assets for them and asset light for Starwood.

Time of course will tell but I would anticipate it wouldn't be a free for all elimination of the structure we all purchased. And, given the 100 year (I thought I read) marketing deals to keep Westin, Elite Benefits, etc....things will continue on as usual.

But I await the typical cynical replies about how we are all about to get screwed.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Interval did sell off one Hyatt vacation club (I think to Welk). The two in SVN I would be the most concerned about would be Harborside and SDO.

I would expect the two umbrellas of Hyatt and SVN to stay separate with perhaps some reciprocity (a la Wyndham/Worldmark) at maybe the 6 month mark or priority within II.

Personally I would like to see Harborside go to Marriott with ability to enroll in the DC and perhaps better points values especially for summer months.

This also means II will be competing with itself selling retail weeks/points in Maui.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I would like to see Harborside go to Marriott with ability to enroll in the DC and perhaps better points values especially for summer months.

I second this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk