• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head: Do you recommend Monarch or Heritage Heritage Club

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a week at the end of August at Monarch in Hilton Head using vacation club points.

I see that Heritage Club has an opening at the beginning of August.

We've been to Hilton Head three times, and stayed at Surfwatch twice and Harbour Pointe/Sunset Pointe once. This is the first time we'll be staying at Sea Pines.

It is likely that it will be only my wife and I. If we are joined by anyone it is likely to be a 60+ couple or our college age daughter and her friend. We like bike riding and taking long walks and going to the beach. Not interested in golf. I know that Monarch is on the beach and Heritage is not. But we'd consider Heritage if the quality of the accommodations is better than Monarch and we wouldn't have a problem driving to the beach.

Please let me have your recommendations.

Thank you.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I booked a week at the end of August at Monarch in Hilton Head using vacation club points.

I see that Heritage Club has an opening at the beginning of August.

We've been to Hilton Head three times, and stayed at Surfwatch twice and Harbour Pointe/Sunset Pointe once. This is the first time we'll be staying at Sea Pines.

It is likely that it will be only my wife and I. If we are joined by anyone it is likely to be a 60+ couple or our college age daughter and her friend. We like bike riding and taking long walks and going to the beach. Not interested in golf. I know that Monarch is on the beach and Heritage is not. But we'd consider Heritage if the quality of the accommodations is better than Monarch and we wouldn't have a problem driving to the beach.

Please let me have your recommendations.

Thank you.

Absolutely Monarch. It's beachfront as you know, but it's actually only steps from beach, and you'll really enjoy that----for example, easier to go back to unit from beach for drinks, lunch or whatever, if needed. It's also a nicer location in Sea Pines for walking and biking. Nicer, bigger pools. Nicer and more peaceful surroundings/landscaping for general feel of resort. Next door to brand new Sea Pines Beach Club which you'll enjoy tremendously. Easier access in/out of Sea Pines for the best restaurants.

You'll hear the ocean if you get a unit sort of close to beach. Granted the unit will be slightly smaller, but everything else more than makes up for that.

No contest. I rate Monarch #5 in top 5 of HH Marriotts,
and BocaBoy rates it higher at #3---that's a very strong recommendation.

see post #1 at
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223428,

and he actually rates Heritage Club #7 out of 8 (total # of HH Marriotts). I'd say Heritage Club is last at #8, but you get the picture in general.

One more relevant point---latter part of August might have less kids due to school starting, and early August will have kids running around everywhere on their last fling of summer before school.

That said, HC is no slouchy resort---it's still quite nice, but it's just down the list of Marriotts because they're all terrific. You'd have a great time at either one. HC is still well above most other non-Marriott on the island, and it is nice to be able to walk round Harbour Town easily. Beach/pools or Harbour Town, that's the real question.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I own two units at the Monarch and believe it is the best of the Marriott properties on HHI but I might be the only one on tug. This being said, if you golf, you get 2 rounds of golf everyday at the Heritage Club. A golfer might find that hard to pass up. You can still get beach access by going to the beach club next to the Monarch if you want the beach.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own two units at the Monarch and believe it is the best of the Marriott properties on HHI but I might be the only one on tug. This being said, if you golf, you get 2 rounds of golf everyday at the Heritage Club.

I'm with you on this. In addition to being right on the beach, Monarch abuts the bike trail pretty much an equal ride to Harbour Town and South Beach. There isn't any free golf with Monarch but there are two courses right across the street.

George

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own two units at the Monarch and believe it is the best of the Marriott properties on HHI but I might be the only one on tug. This being said, if you golf, you get 2 rounds of golf everyday at the Heritage Club. A golfer might find that hard to pass up. You can still get beach access by going to the beach club next to the Monarch if you want the beach.

Wrong. There are at least two of us. Great point on the golf but I still prefer Monarch.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
OP said this:

"Not interested in golf."

Also, driving to the Sea Pines public beach access parking lot from Heritage Club is a pain, especially if it's crowded, and it always is.

You'll be parking at the far end of that lot, if you find a space, also a pain.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
OP said this:

"Not interested in golf."

Also, driving to the Sea Pines public beach access parking lot from Heritage Club is a pain, especially if it's crowded, and it always is.

You'll be parking at the far end of that lot, if you find a space, also a pain.

The challenge with getting older and using smaller screen devices....if you take golf out of the equation, the quality is a draw so I would take the Monarch hands down.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Absolutely Monarch. It's beachfront as you know, but it's actually only steps from beach, and you'll really enjoy that----for example, easier to go back to unit from beach for drinks, lunch or whatever, if needed. It's also a nicer location in Sea Pines for walking and biking. Nicer, bigger pools. Nicer and more peaceful surroundings/landscaping for general feel of resort. Next door to brand new Sea Pines Beach Club which you'll enjoy tremendously. Easier access in/out of Sea Pines for the best restaurants.

You'll hear the ocean if you get a unit sort of close to beach. Granted the unit will be slightly smaller, but everything else more than makes up for that.

No contest. I rate Monarch #5 in top 5 of HH Marriotts,
and BocaBoy rates it higher at #3---that's a very strong recommendation.

see post #1 at
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223428,

and he actually rates Heritage Club #7 out of 8 (total # of HH Marriotts). I'd say Heritage Club is last at #8, but you get the picture in general.

One more relevant point---latter part of August might have less kids due to school starting, and early August will have kids running around everywhere on their last fling of summer before school.

That said, HC is no slouchy resort---it's still quite nice, but it's just down the list of Marriotts because they're all terrific. You'd have a great time at either one. HC is still well above most other non-Marriott on the island, and it is nice to be able to walk round Harbour Town easily. Beach/pools or Harbour Town, that's the real question. .

Not only do I rank Heritage Club #7 of 8 on Hilton Head Island, I rank it #29 of the 30 MVCI resorts we've stayed at. I rank Monarch #14 of the 30. As Marty said, there is nothing wrong with Heritage Club, but it just doesn't have anything to distinguish it, in my opinion, other than the free golf. Monarch wins hands down, especially for a non-golfer.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked the Monarch also because of the beach. Heritage is nice because you are located on Sea Pine Plantation with an outstanding security staff.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Monarch!

On the beach with terrific refurbished units. Location is good and the new Beach Club is open if you want a drink or dinner next door.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Heritage Club in the off season. It is walking distance to everything in Harbor Town and across the street from the new and very nice Harbor Town Golf Links and Club. What an amazing building. Heritage is very large compared to most Marriotts in terms of villa size. Only one building.