• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Changes to be announced next week for MR

Bill4728

Reaction score
Here are the main points:
More details are coming on Monday, but for now we know the following, based on the post (and confirmed with a Marriott representative):

Points Advance – Available now! Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards members are able to book redemption stays before having sufficient points to cover the cost of that stay.
Points Sharing – Beginning Oct. 12, 2015 Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards members will have the ability to share points with friends and family. Members can transfer up to 50,000 points from their account each year!
Redemption Stay Credit – Starting Nov. 1, 2015 Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards members will earn Elite night credit on redemption nights paid for with points.
NEW Cash + Points – Coming in early 2016, the NEW Cash + Points will give Rewards members the flexibility to use a mix of cash and points to cover single or multi-night redemption stays.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/marriott-rewards-program-changes-coming/#ixzz3nvsLE0Ss

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes!!!

Points Sharing – Beginning Oct. 12, 2015 Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards members will have the ability to share points with friends and family. Members can transfer up to 50,000 points from their account each year!

Maria

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is good news. This makes me wonder if one is able to "sell" 50,000 MRP's each year to another member in need...

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Frankly, this may be too little and too late for me. I'm likely to jump ship. I have both Marriott Gold status and Starwood Gold status. I think I get much more value from SPG points in the Starwood program than from Marriott reward points. Marriott has devalued their program heavily. I've been loyal to Marriott for years, but in 2016, I'll probably focus more on SPG stays and earning SPG points than MRPs.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Will you still be able to transfer an unlimited number of points between spouses when redeeming a reward? Just waiting for our points from converting our Harbour Lake week to MR points to show up in my MR account so we can convert a bunch of points to a travel package for Europe next year. Though that will require transferring more than 50K points from DWs account to mine.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Will you still be able to transfer an unlimited number of points between spouses when redeeming a reward?

I called and asked about that for the Travel Packages a little while ago and the answer was yes, it would continue if the spouse or relative didn't have enough points for the package.

Of course they didn't know about this new benefit of just transferring 50,000 points.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope they will do something about the night that we get yearly on cc . Couple of years in a row I wasnt able to do it. Cat 5 is just not enough in california

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Yes!!!

Maria

They must have gotten really annoyed with ALL our phone calls!

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good news but it comes just as I cross the line for lifetime Platinum status.:banana::whoopie::whoopie:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I've always Ben able to book a points reservation without having enough points in my account so I'm not sure why that's listed as new.

I agree, unless they mean that you can actually go to a negative points balance and complete the stay before you get enough points to replenish the account. Members have always (or at least for 10-15 years) been able to book a stay before having enough points to cover it as long as there are enough points in the account at the time of the stay (or maybe a week before the stay). It is not new but maybe it was never published.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Any additional benefits are welcomed no matter how small the real benefit differences are. It would be nice if thIs was retroactive to Jan 1 (I know it won't be).

My biggest challenge to the MR program from a timeshare view is and will always be the fixed nature of the relationship between exchange of timeshare to MR points. I get 130k points if I was to exchange. This is the same number of points I got when my MF was 360 per week. You couple this with the continued increase in categories of hotels and challenge gets worse. The travel packages while slightly better in value still continually get worse as a choice with increased categories.

I am happy with my Marriott timeshares and the MR program as each stands on their own merits. I am not crazy about the linkage but it is a choice I control. This is more a recognition of facts and not a real complaint,

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly, this may be too little and too late for me. I'm likely to jump ship....... Marriott has devalued their program heavily. I've been loyal to Marriott for years, but.......

This describes me many years ago. Back when I owned my 4 Marriott Weeks I was also a loyal Marriott Rewards Member. Because I traveled extensively for business and stayed (almost) exclusively at Marriott hotels I had tons of points. I used them for multiple family vacations, a week's golf school for my Son, etc. I watched as Marriott continuously devalued both my TimeShares and their Rewards Program. Finally I had enough and bailed on both.

George

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
What's next ... Category 10 and more points devaluation?

macster43

TUG Member
Reaction score
Email from marriott

So last night I received an email from Marriott and I suspect most here have stating:

1.Itching to book but low on points? No problem, you can reserve a room now. Simply earn enough points in advance of check in.

2. Now you can transfer your points to friends or family. Group travel just got easier.

3. Liberate your travel plans! The new Cash + Points gets you there faster by mixing cash and points for a single or multiple night stay*.

4. Go ahead, use your points for that stay*. You'll earn credit toward Elite status. That's what we call a win-win.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe this topic was discussed somewhat in [link deleted after threads merged]

Last edited by a moderator:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Color me unimpressed

So last night I received an email from Marriott and I suspect most here have stating:

1.Itching to book but low on points? No problem, you can reserve a room now. Simply earn enough points in advance of check in.

2. Now you can transfer your points to friends or family. Group travel just got easier.

3. Liberate your travel plans! The new Cash + Points gets you there faster by mixing cash and points for a single or multiple night stay*.

4. Go ahead, use your points for that stay*. You'll earn credit toward Elite status. That's what we call a win-win.

First, I love MR and get great value but these changes are no big deal.

1. We already could do this, so nothing new here.
3. I use points when rate is high, this never seemed like a good deal at other chains.
4. Just add more with higher status, so less upgrades.

But #2 has me worried.
You could already do this with spouse, so no big deal. But I have a bad feeling about this. Call me paranoid but:
Seems like the prelude to category 10.
Will start charging to combine with spouse.
Fraud will go up. On airlines it used to be easy to move points, certificates and awards around. Then brokers starting gaming the system and we saw more restrictions and prices increase. My guess is that we will see fraud on this quickly and Marriott will start clamping down and raising rates.
Plus this also puts more pressure on inventory, so supply/demand means redemption costs will rise.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I wonder if the transfer to friends and family is a change in the policy that if you're not married and die Marriott keeps all your MR points. Perhaps we can put them in our wills?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, I love MR and get great value but these changes are no big deal.

1. We already could do this, so nothing new here.
3. I use points when rate is high, this never seemed like a good deal at other chains.
4. Just add more with higher status, so less upgrades.

But #2 has me worried.
You could already do this with spouse, so no big deal. But I have a bad feeling about this. Call me paranoid but:
Seems like the prelude to category 10.
Will start charging to combine with spouse.
Fraud will go up. On airlines it used to be easy to move points, certificates and awards around. Then brokers starting gaming the system and we saw more restrictions and prices increase. My guess is that we will see fraud on this quickly and Marriott will start clamping down and raising rates.
Plus this also puts more pressure on inventory, so supply/demand means redemption costs will rise.

I'm wondering if #2 can help get me to Lifetime Gold sooner.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Works for me.

Transferring Points from One Account to Another

1 This Member benefit is available between any two accounts in good standing whether sending or receiving points. A Member may authorize the transfer a maximum of 50,000 Points per calendar year into the Rewards Program account of friends or family provided the recipient account is also in good standing. Once per calendar year and only at time of Reward Redemption a Member may exceed the 50,000 Point maximum into the Rewards Program account of a friend or family member in order to qualify for a specific Reward in accordance with this section.

2 Immediately prior to Reward Redemption and only once per calendar year, a Member may authorize the transfer of the necessary number of Points into the Rewards Program account of a friend or family member, in order to qualify for a specific Reward. This transfer may exceed the 50,000 Point maximum per calendar year.

3In the instance of transfer exceeding the 50,000 Point maximum only the necessary number of Points needed to redeem the specified Reward, rounded to the nearest 1,000 Points, may be transferred — no more, no less.

4 Authorization to transfer Points must be initiated by the account holder with the Points to be transferred by contacting Rewards Program Guest Services by calling Rewards Program Guest Services at 1-801-468-4000 (Marriott Rewards Program) or 1-866-922-6882 (The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program). The account holder requesting the transfer must provide the Marriott Rewards account number of the Points recipient at the time of the Point transfer request.

5 Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transferee relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points, and they become the recipient’s Points.

Using number 2, I was able to transfer 90,000 points to a friends account. At the time of transfer, the e-certificate was issued for our reservation.

Works for me.