• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car accident ... my parked car was hit.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was NOT a good day. Drama and sheriff officer plus then the police.

I executed an eviction with a sheriff officer ... 2nd one in 2 months with the same officer. Tenant calls mom with a car to come get her after trying the "tears route" with us. Mom spends 45 minutes helping tenant grabbing some items and off they go. Change the locks, walk the house, pay the sheriff and SURPRISE, tenant and mom are back. Forgot some medication and generally, that is considered a MUST let them into property to take. And 5 minutes and she jumps back into mom's car with mom driving ... yelling between them starts and is LOUD while sheriff and I stand there WAITING for them to get away. Continued yelling as the car is put into reverse and starts moving ... mom manages to NOT SEE my parked car at the curb and does a K-turn into the driver's side (parked same place for over an hour).

Sheriff and I just look at each other and I ask him "Call the police" as he is saying "She hit your car!".

The local policeman tells me it is a rented car from the local corner "we rent cars" shop... small town. I go down to the place and establish "I am a local and YOUR car hit my car." Tells me mom is having a bad time as she is being evicted at end of month ... but she has insurance as her car is being repaired at his garage. But I have to report it to MY insurance company and will have to pay the deductible.

Note to self ... these apples did not fall far from the tree.

Initial body shop estimate is $2000-2500. Have to go back and visit body shop ... as new guy working the estimate (and I always get a deal due to history, family and my friendly way).

Any suggestions ... 2010 car has 80,000+ miles on it. This is my run around and good mileage car. Have a work pickup truck. Have another NICE 4x4 given to me ... recently which I had to promise the relative to "not junk it up" and NOT a work truck.

Should I go CHEAP with used (and unpainted to match) door? Or some other version of life? Body shop guy told me car is NOT SAFE to drive as the driver's door structure is compromised (plus no side door mirror).

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Double check on who pays the deducible with your insurance company. I had to pay it when my parked car was hit and no one came forward. However, twice people hit our cars while on the road and their insurance paid the whole thing. Our insurance company did all the paperwork with the other insurance company.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was NOT a good day. Drama and sheriff officer plus then the police.

I executed an eviction with a sheriff officer ... 2nd one in 2 months with the same officer. Tenant calls mom with a car to come get her after trying the "tears route" with us. Mom spends 45 minutes helping tenant grabbing some items and off they go. Change the locks, walk the house, pay the sheriff and SURPRISE, tenant and mom are back. Forgot some medication and generally, that is considered a MUST let them into property to take. And 5 minutes and she jumps back into mom's car with mom driving ... yelling between them starts and is LOUD while sheriff and I stand there WAITING for them to get away. Continued yelling as the car is put into reverse and starts moving ... mom manages to NOT SEE my parked car at the curb and does a K-turn into the driver's side (parked same place for over an hour).

Sheriff and I just look at each other and I ask him "Call the police" as he is saying "She hit your car!".

The local policeman tells me it is a rented car from the local corner "we rent cars" shop... small town. I go down to the place and establish "I am a local and YOUR car hit my car." Tells me mom is having a bad time as she is being evicted at end of month ... but she has insurance as her car is being repaired at his garage. But I have to report it to MY insurance company and will have to pay the deductible.

Note to self ... these apples did not fall far from the tree.

Initial body shop estimate is $2000-2500. Have to go back and visit body shop ... as new guy working the estimate (and I always get a deal due to history, family and my friendly way).

Any suggestions ... 2010 car has 80,000+ miles on it. This is my run around and good mileage car. Have a work pickup truck. Have another NICE 4x4 given to me ... recently which I had to promise the relative to "not junk it up" and NOT a work truck.

Should I go CHEAP with used (and unpainted to match) door? Or some other version of life? Body shop guy told me car is NOT SAFE to drive as the driver's door structure is compromised (plus no side door mirror).

Lost me :confused: :shrug:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The deductible and full claim will be subrogated out by your insurer to the other insurer. You should get your deductible back from the insurer when the claim is properly processed.
The fact that the car was legally parked makes the fault entirely theirs.
The fact you have a Sherriff as a witness also helps.
Get the car fixed properly.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible they will "total" the car; it happened to us and we were traveling at the time. Also never got our deductible back, as the woman who somehow drove down a road backwards, swerved into a restaurant parking lot and hit our car so hard she bounced off it and back again this time pushing it into another car, did not have insurance.
To add insult to injury the state of Missouri kept sending us forms to fill out and threatening to revoke our driver's license if we didn't fill them out in a timely manner.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The deductible and full claim will be subrogated out by your insurer to the other insurer. You should get your deductible back from the insurer when the claim is properly processed.

Agree. At fault driver's insurance picks up the entire tab including deductible.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
There is no out of pocket for you, so get it fixed to the best that the your policy allows (generally used parts made to look new for your age vehicle).

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

As a former insurance adjuster......the above is correct.