• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My local school system hasn't published 2016/17 calendar yet

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My local school system hasn't published 2016/17 calendar yet

Last year they published the 2015/16 calendar in June of 2104. I have a good idea for Easter and Christmas (and if I am off by a day oh well) but we like to plan long weekends during professional development days and such.

Have most school systems published calendars for 2016 at this point?

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Our district posts the following school year calendar in February.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is highly likely that they haven't published the calendar, because they don't have a contract with their [employees] yet. The calendar is a negotiated item, and they can't publish it, until they have a contract.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is talk that they may go back to starting after labor day vs the August 24 of this year- mainly due to reducing the payroll budget. So that probably is the hold up.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
ours votes on the next year in mid-December.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
ours votes on the next year in mid-December.

There is no particular time when a contract must be settled - so there is no particular time when it is voted upon. In my district we almost never had a contract to start the school year.

senorak

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't publish/approve the calendar until Feb. or March of the upcoming year.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here. Our school district will not finalize the 2016/17 school year calendar until late Feb. or early March, 2016.

13 month reservations for Christmas are always a best guess. 50% of the time, 13 month Spring Break reservations are a best guess, too.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I don't get my son's calendar until Spring. His school follows the public school schedule but is very slightly different. So I think they wait til the public one comes out and then tweak their own to add teacher-work days etc to fit their needs.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same as VegasBelle for us - we get a schedule in spring but we're lucky if we get a 100 percent complete schedule. My DD goes to a Catholic school that also uses the local district for bus routes. We usually coordinate with their schedule but there have been surprises...like starting the week before Labor Day this year (public schools start after Labor Day) and things are pretty unpredictable when guessing Spring Break and Easter breaks. It can be frustrating to plan ahead for timeshares. Thankfully she's a strong student so it didn't matter if she missed school but now she's 3rd grade and taking on work from the next grade level so I don't want to take her out. i wish we could get solid schedules 2 years in advance since it would make timeshare planning so much easier :)

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We are past the school calendar days, although, I help my daughter in her business which is affected by the school calendar as the schools are one of her biggest customers. Mostly we co ordinate our schedules, so at least one of us is available.
We tend to take vacations now in the off season, less crowds, easier exchanges. Usually my DH and me, not so many family trips anymore. Just my 2 cents.
Silentg

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't get my son's calendar until Spring. His school follows the public school schedule but is very slightly different. So I think they wait til the public one comes out and then tweak their own to add teacher-work days etc to fit their needs.

Is your son in Coral?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Is your son in Coral?

I don't post his school on public forums. We can PM if you want.

To the point of the thread: we've decided to take our son out of school 1 week per year until high school. So we won't always need the calendar to plan.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Our school district has the 2016-17 and 2017-18 calendars published! :clap:

Just to show it can be done. Too bad so many districts are either too lazy to do so, or have outside blockers restricting them from doing so.

Kurt

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not lazy, nor outside blockers. The school district and their employees must come to agreement on the calendar, before it can be published. It's as simple as that. If you already have a 2017-2018 calendar, it means that the District has a 2 year contract with their employees.

lshpak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't post his school on public forums. We can PM if you want.

To the point of the thread: we've decided to take our son out of school 1 week per year until high school. So we won't always need the calendar to plan.

I will be taking my son out of school for 4 days. What do you tell his teachers why he was absent ( he is in 6th grade now)? Thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will be taking my son out of school for 4 days. What do you tell his teachers why he was absent ( he is in 6th grade now)? Thank you.

The best thing to do, it to contact the appropriate administrator, and see if he can go on short-term independent study for 4 day:

-This will excuse his absences
-This will allow him to get the make up work in advance
-This will guarantee his right to make up the work.

The teacher can't authorize this - you need to speak to the administrator in charge of attendance. Even if the teacher says it's OK, attendance could ding him.

lshpak

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do, it to contact the appropriate administrator, and see if he can go on short-term independent study for 4 day:

-This will excuse his absences

-This will allow him to get the make up work in advance

-This will guarantee his right to make up the work.

The teacher can't authorize this - you need to speak to the administrator in charge of attendance. Even if the teacher says it's OK, attendance could ding him.

So glad I asked this question. I had no idea that this option existed. Thank you.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It's not lazy, nor outside blockers. The school district and their employees must come to agreement on the calendar, before it can be published. It's as simple as that. If you already have a 2017-2018 calendar, it means that the District has a 2 year contract with their employees.
Having to "negotiate" with your workers (teachers) is an outside blocker. What other business that you know of that has to "negotiate" with their workers on which days that business will be open? I think it is simply ridiculous that teachers and their unions have that much power to dictate a simple thing such as a schedule.

Kurt

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Having to "negotiate" with your workers (teachers) is an outside blocker. What other business that you know of that has to "negotiate" with their workers on which days that business will be open? I think it is simply ridiculous that teachers and their unions have that much power to dictate a simple thing such as a schedule.

Kurt

I don't think you understand how this works:

First of all, every single business that has a union shop does this. Holidays, working hours, etc. are a key component of any contract.

Secondly, the teacher's don't "dictate" the schedule. It's just one item in a contract. It may be a completely different item that is holding up the contract ratification, or it may be the school district that is holding up the contract - it may not be the calendar OR the teachers.

BTW - teachers are not the only employees in a school district - there is also a classified staff union, and they also have a contract, and it may be their contract that is holding up the calendar.

Last edited:

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I work for a school district and we went 4 years without a contract. There have been years when our teachers' contract was not settled. It never prevented the publishing of the next year's calendar. The state sets a minimum amount of instructional days. In our district, the teachers' union president and the superintendent sit down, look at the calendar, determine how to work around holidays and still get the full amount of days in, and come up with a calendar.
The contract status is irrelevant here.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

At my son's school I can just write a note about the absence beforehand. I don't need to do anything more than that. His school is a private school that operates differently than traditional schools. The students work mostly independently at their own pace and are not on a strict schedule where the teacher teaches the entire class the same thing at the same time. A week absence should not set him back at all since he's pretty advanced already. He's also young - kindergarten - so there's no homework.

But yeah, if your kid is in a traditional public school or easily falls behind get the assignments ahead of time and factor in time to do them. Either way, just talk to the teacher and ask what you can do. Most teachers will have some sort of recommendation.