• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can anyone explain this?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I've watched this video a few times and it is really baffling. How can this happen?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'd call a priest!

Obviously, the fish is dead, and the muscles of the fish must be being triggered by remnant nervous system activity. My best guess.

Next..

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not so unusual...

As a kid, I spent a lot of time on my uncle's farm. On Sunday morning my cousin and I had to catch a chicken and kill it for Sunday Dinner. My cousin got to hold the axe, and I was left with holding the chicken. :eek: On one occasion, I lost my grip on the chicken after it lost it's head, and the darn thing ran around the yard for some time before we caught it. :eek:
I also remember seeing frog legs twitch and jump in the frying pan. :p

Ron

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Nothing actually dies quickly. The expression "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" comes from reality.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a bowfin. They are known for this.

"I caught this small bowfin while bass fishing. My dad and I were fishing in a pond in Texas and caught a bowfin, some old guy told us they were called, "Cotton Eyed Joe" and Grinnel. They die hard, it flopped around in the freezer for about 2 hours before we filayed it, and the eyes would just follow your movment anywhere in the kitchen after it was severed. What was more unnerving than that was the steaks were twitching and curling on the cutting board after they had been cut in the perfect squares for grilling."

http://fishing.about.com/od/bowfinandgar/a/bowfin.htm

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
OK so a quick search on Google taught me that bowfins "are capable of bimodal respiration" which means they can breathe in both water AND air. So just removing them from water will not kill them. The Wikipedia article claims they may survive up to 3 days out of the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowfin

So I think this is what is going on: normally people who kill fishes have the animals sit in a bucket or ice chest for a while after pulling them from the water. During that time the animal suffocates on air. That's when they make their final movements. By the time the person goes to prepare the fish for eating, the animal is dead. In this case the animal is not dead when the person goes to chop it up. It has not suffocated on air because it can breathe air.

Similarly, many fishes raise commercially are not dead when they are chopped up, see: http://fish.mercyforanimals.org/

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
To the OP, did you cook & eat this fish ?
Heavens, no! That's not my own personal video. Plus, I don't even like seafood in any form.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Your "kidding" me.... right???

No kidding, it would be all they would talk about. This last July I had the 4 and 6 year old grand daughters with me on a fishing trip. The 4 year old caught a 3 pound bait fish and we put it on a towel in the boat. Occasionally the sucker would twitch and the girls would lift their feet and yell at it. This was one of those things that they talked about well after the trip.

Bill