• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing DC to enroll post 2010 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am purchasing 3500 DC points at 10.12 per point (20% discount) allowing me to enroll 2 weeks. I currently have a 3BR MGV Platinum enrolled which gives me 3,725 points.

I am torn as to which 2 weeks to enroll. Here are my options-

Option 1:

Enroll another 3BR MGV Platinum (3,725) + 2BR Aruba Ocean Club Gold Oceanfront (3,925)

This along with the 3500 points and existing 3725 = 14,875 total putting me in the Presidential Status but 125 short of Chairman level.

I could also enroll another 2 of 3BR MGV Platinum but I already have 1 enrolled and this would still leave me a couple of hundred short from Chairman status.

I could buy 250 points but that would cost another $2,500.

Option 2;

Enroll two of my 2BR Aruba Ocean Club Gold Oceanfront (3,925 x 2)

This along with the 3500 points and existing 3725 = 15,075 which puts me just at Chairman level. However, with the high Aruba maintenance fees, I'm not sure if I would keep 2 weeks in the long term (1 for sure) and if I sell the week in the future, I would lose the status.

The key difference to me between the two levels if the 2 years versus 1.5 banking you get with Chairman. There's also extra 30 days notice you get with special promo or events with Chairman status but not sure how valuable that is probably not much.

Which option would you choose and why? Any other considerations I should think about in selecting which week to choose?

TIA

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
How do you use the Grande Vista and Aruba weeks? That Grande Vista week is one of the best II traders in the system - do you use it or trade it?

Same question in Aruba - use or trade?

I would enroll the weeks that you are most likely to 1) keep long term and 2) not personally use or rent. Then you get value from points or from II trade.

Best,

Greg

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use my 2BR Aruba and for the MGV use or trade.

Both I will keep long term, not so sure I would keep 2 Aruba weeks in the long term (1 for sure)

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Another option might be to "settle" for Presidential status....just enroll the one additional 3BR MGV and only buy 2750 points which would give you a total of 10,200.

2750 points at $10.76 (15% discount) would put you at $29,590 cash outlay saving you some cash vs a 3500 purchase costing $35,420.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option might be to "settle" for Presidential status....just enroll the one additional 3BR MGV and only buy 2750 points which would give you a total of 10,200.

2750 points at $10.76 (15% discount) would put you at $29,590 cash outlay saving you some cash vs a 3500 purchase costing $35,420.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that but for me the +5k difference is worth the ability to enroll another week for future flexibility.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would enroll the 3BR MGV weeks and be ready to sell the Aruba weeks when the fees get too high. Also, I think we have figured out in the past that the 3rd BR trumps the resort "name" when it comes to trading within II. The high fees resorts are continuing to tumble in value. Look at MOC original units. They were once the hottest thing, and now can be bought for almost nothing. High fees and kitchenette are a bad combo.

For that matter, even a 2BR ocean view at Westin Ka'anapali (south) just sold for only $7500 this week. High fees = low selling price.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Good point. I hadn't thought of that but for me the +5k difference is worth the ability to enroll another week for future flexibility.

In that case....Option 1 and if you can afford it and really value the Chairman status, pop for the extra 250 points.

Option 2 does not make as much sense to me as if you do sell the 2nd Aruba week, you are right back to where you could have been by doing what I suggested in post 4, but you paid an extra $6K to get there.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would enroll the 3BR MGV weeks and be ready to sell the Aruba weeks when the fees get too high. Also, I think we have figured out in the past that the 3rd BR trumps the resort "name" when it comes to trading within II. The high fees resorts are continuing to tumble in value. Look at MOC original units. They were once the hottest thing, and now can be bought for almost nothing. High fees and kitchenette are a bad combo.

For that matter, even a 2BR ocean view at Westin Ka'anapali (south) just sold for only $7500 this week. High fees = low selling price.

I'm pretty certain that I would keep the one 2br oceanfront Aruba. The view, larger balcony and steps to the beach is something I really appreciate and love Aruba. The other week even if I had to sell at 7500 won't hurt as much because I bought it for a steal.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Based upon what you describe, and assuming its not price prohibitive, I would buy points sufficient to enroll the two Grande Vista 3BRs. Those are great trading properties and are worth a reasonable amount of points.

The Aruba weeks because a separate keep/sell decision, and if they are different view categories, you may be well suited keeping the better view category, and extending your stay in the same room with points.

You have lots of good options -- let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Or you could go crazy and pop for the 5000 points package and enroll up to 7 weeks giving you total flexibility!!!

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or you could go crazy and pop for the 5000 points package and enroll up to 7 weeks giving you total flexibility!!!

Lol! The thought did cross my mind! That would enroll all my weeks and I would have 30,000+ points in total but the 50k price tag is s bit much for me. In addition to additional 750 of annual dues. Wouldn't have to worry about losing chairman status even if I sell a couple of weeks.

If I was retired Id do it but I'm a long way from there lol.

I'm leaning towards buying an additional 250 to get to chairman. This is my first and only developer purchase so I'm thinking I might as well get to the highest level lol

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I'm leaning towards buying an additional 250 to get to chairman. This is my first and only developer purchase so I'm thinking I might as well get to the highest level lol

I don't see much value in Chairman's over Presidential. We sold a week earlier this year and it dropped us a few hundred points below the level required for Chairman's. I looked at the elite benefits for each and there is really nothing that would make me feel the need for reaching for Chairman's status. Presidential is the level with great benefits over the next lower level.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't see much value in Chairman's over Presidential. We sold a week earlier this year and it dropped us a few hundred points below the level required for Chairman's. I looked at the elite benefits for each and there is really nothing that would make me feel the need for reaching for Chairman's status. Presidential is the level with great benefits over the next lower level.

Yes, that appears to be the case. The only 4 advantages were-

- extra 6 months for banked points (2 years versus 1.5 years)
- ability to elect 75% versus 65% to Marriott Rewards
- access to luxury sailing cruise
- 60 days versus 30 days notification for events

The only one that has value to me is the extra 6 months for banked points.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else purchasing DC Points to enroll weeks?

Just curious is there anyone else who is purchasing or considering DC points to enroll post 2010 weeks? If yes, what level of points are you considering?

Last edited by a moderator:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just curious is there anyone else who is purchasing or considering DC points to enroll post 2010 weeks? If yes, what level of points are you considering?

I am aware of one other TUGger that is actively pricing the different options and suspect there are more. I think this will be a successful promotion for Marriott and hope you find the ownership combination that suits you.

Best,

Greg

jbvp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Check out this other thread - more info
New Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 (formerly ineligible) Weeks

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Check out this other thread - more info
New Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 (formerly ineligible) Weeks

I've moved a few posts from this thread into the one mentioned above, linked here. Also, because Seaport104 has received several answers to his ownership-specific questions, this thread is being closed to prevent further cross-posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.