• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I need Marriott credit card now that I'm Lifetime Platinum?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both DH and I have our own Marriott credit cards. I made Lifetime Platinum this year and DH should next year. I no longer need the 15 nights a year for having the card or the 1 night for every $3K in spend. As a result I'm using several other cards for everyday spend.

I'm wondering why I would keep the card with the annual fee. I know it gives one Cat. 1-4 night a year which is good but we will have at least one of those with husband's card.

Anything I'm missing?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Dropping the card may hurt your credit score, especially if you have had it for a long time (card longevity helps your score), and have a decent amount of available credit on the card but don't often use a lot of it (a low % of credit utilization as compared to available credit helps your score also).

So for me the decision would hinge of if I am getting the $85 value out of the free night. If so, I would likely keep the card even thought I may not use it...if not, I would likely dump the card.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We're still using it because of the quick accumulation of Marriott Rewards Points. Continuing to use it as we do works for us because the overwhelming majority of our travel involves Marriott properties, so accumulating the bonus points as well as using the points/certs still gives us value. We don't exchange out timeshare Weeks for MRP - if we did then we wouldn't have to rely on the card's use to quickly accumulate MRP.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott card was never a good card for everyday spends, but the bonus at Marriott's is worth it to me.

Pretty much the only thing I use it for is my Marriott Hotels.
As others said, it keeps the Credit score happy as I keep a low monthly balance and always pay it off.

I always find a use for the cert that is worth the value so it is nice for me.

Plus, it has helped me get to Platinum Premiere (the not so secret level above Platinum)

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature credit card provides a category 1-5 hotel night every year at your account anniversary. The renewal fee is $85, but it's not hard to use the e-certificate for a night worth twice that amount. Of course, many hotels that used to be category 4 or 5 are now 6 or 7, but there are still plenty of nice category 4 and 5 properties, and their prices have been going up. So it's worth it to me just for that.

Then, if you use the card to pay at the Marriott family of hotel brands and to pay your annual MVCI maintenance fee, earning 5 points per dollar spent adds up quickly.

I'm keeping my card.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Then, if you use the card to pay at the Marriott family of hotel brands and to pay your annual MVCI maintenance fee, earning 5 points per dollar spent adds up quickly.

I'm keeping my card.

Keeping the card to pay MFs is work the annual fee too. Our MFs are about $2200. That works out to 11,000 MR points. It would cost more than the $85 to buy those from Marriott.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Most of the answers repeat the benefit of keeping the card to pay for Marriott stays or gather points for travel certificates.

My post does mention that we will still have my husband's MR Visa for any Marriott spend. . .including the $10K in m/f's.

I really like our other Chase cards; Freedom and Sapphire. The UR points can be transferred to Marriott 1:1 or into air miles 1:1. Freedom has rotating quarterly category spend that gets 5x per $.

Just got a Hyatt card from Chase that gives 2 free nights (any category) as the bonus, and will receive Cat 1-4 certificate at renewal. $75 annual fee. It will also give Platinum status with Hyatt. I used Ultimate Rewards points to book a night in Milan and am hoping the Platinum status will get me an upgrade.

Also got a new Hilton Surpass. $75 annual fee. 60K points for sign-up. 6 points at grocery, gas. 12x at Hiltons. 3x other spend. So the points add quickly. Gold status. When there isn't a convenient Fairfield Inn along the hi-way there's usually a Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn.

Next will be IHG from Chase. This ranges all the way from Holiday Inn Express to Intercontinental with only $49 annual fee. Annual certificate good for any category. 10% point rebate and Platinum status.

Then the SPG with it's current 30K sign-up bonus is calling my name. Recently book 2 nights in Westin for DD in Munich for Oktoberfest. (BTW, why is Oktoberfest in September?). Rooms were 360 Euro per night but I got them for 10K pts. a night. Then I was able to transfer the balance of the spg points to AA for a 25% bonus. It's been years since I had their card so I'm hoping the sign-up bonus will go through. Spg is sticky about multiple sign-up bonuses. News is Marriott will give one every 2 years so I'm overdue for a new sign-up bonus. Spg points are some of the slowest to build unless you stay at their properties. But they are great for transferring to airlines because for every 20K transferred you get 5k back.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Guilter, in your case, unless you NEED the additional Marriott Reward certificate, I do not see much value for keeping yours when your husband still has his card.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature credit card provides a category 1-5 hotel night every year at your account anniversary. The renewal fee is $85, but it's not hard to use the e-certificate for a night worth twice that amount. Of course, many hotels that used to be category 4 or 5 are now 6 or 7, but there are still plenty of nice category 4 and 5 properties, and their prices have been going up. So it's worth it to me just for that.

Keeping the card to pay MFs is worth the annual fee too. Our MFs are about $2200. That works out to 11,000 MR points. It would cost more than the $85 to buy those from Marriott.

The category 1-5 certificate makes the card "free" for us. The 17,500 MR points we get for paying our $3,500 of MF's with it makes it worthwhile. Even if we use it for little else.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
I miss the extra 10% we used to get off of cash stays at MCVI properties with the Marriott rewards card. That helped justify the $85 yearly fee as well.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It may make sense for you to cancel the card, but don't just simply cancel it. Ask them to move most of the credit limit to one of your other Chase cards first. That way your credit score won't take a hit due to a higher credit utilization percentage.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guilter, in your case, unless you NEED the additional Marriott Reward certificate, I do not see much value for keeping yours when your husband still has his card.

The Free certs are still worth it.
We have a daughter in college and all of the hotels are Cat 5 and usually want to charge $200-300 so it is an easy choice.

Plus when my wife stays without me, don't have to worry about the charge not going to Marriott.

Once you reach a certain age/income/credit level, the number of cards doesn't seem to impact Credit score much (I get to see my fico and experian score and watch them to see what changes).

If you know of 2 Cat 5 stays you need keep both, if not then don't.

But no one should be using Marriott card for much other than marriott spend, you get much better value elsewhere.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I miss the extra 10% we used to get off of cash stays at MCVI properties with the Marriott rewards card. That helped justify the $85 yearly fee as well.

You still get the extra 10% if you pay with your Marriott credit card on top of the owner discount.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
You Gotta be kidding me!

Keeping the card to pay MFs is work the annual fee too. Our MFs are about $2200. That works out to 11,000 MR points. It would cost more than the $85 to buy those from Marriott.

The five times points for Marriott spend is an absolute must for the Marriott card. You probably need only keep one, Which bill does DH pay? (LOL)

If you pay $10,000 in Maintenance fees = 50,000 points
If you stay six weeks at Marriott resorts * $300 per week = 6 * 300 * 5 = 9,000 points.

That 59,000 Marriott points would be only 23,600 points on my Capital One Card that pays 2 points per dollar spent. (10,000 + 1,800) * 2

Not to Mention that I get $125 value from my category 1-4 certificate with anniversary.

You definitely need one Marriott credit card. You probably do not need two cards.

:cool:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
You still get the extra 10% if you pay with your Marriott credit card on top of the owner discount.

My understanding is that this extra 10% has been discontinued with the introduction of the new elite levels. Reservations made prior to the change will of course still keep the discount for those stays.

SunandFun83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Canyon Villas, Grande Vista, Ocean Pointe
Hyatt: Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Pinion Point
Congratulations on Double Lifetime Platinum

Marriott called to say thank you for being a long-time loyal Marriott owner and hotel guest. Thank you for using our credit card and points loyalty program. Thank you for the boat loads of money you have spent with us on your way to double lifetime platinum elite.

To all the TUGGERS who read this post, If we put in just $10 each to make the cumulative minimum payment, we can help Quilter pay off her Marriott Credit Card in just seventeen years. (LOL)

:cool: