• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waitlist for using destination points

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does this work? Can you request to be notified of availability for more than one property?

Yes. However, it works a little differently than say a traditional II exchange:

1. You need to have enough points accessible in your account in order to waitlist a property. The points don't all have to be elected in the same use year, but will be borrowed on demand as needed. (For example, you want to waitlist a week thats 5000 points and you only have 4000 in 2015, you can still waitlist the 5000 property provide that you have elected points for 2016 and when match is confirmed, it will borrow 1000 from 2016 automatically. If you cancel or ressie doesn't come through, points are moved back to 2016)

2. If you want to waitlist multi properties, you want to group them so they are for the same dates. For example, you want to waitlist the "big 3" beachfront properties in HHI for July 4th week of 2016. You can put all three on the same waitlist and as long as you have enough points to cover the ressie that would cost the most, you are good.

3. If you make a different waitlist for different times, you need to have enough points to cover both waitlists. For example, you want to waitlist the Big 3 HHI properties mentioned above for July 4 2016 AND create another waitlist for Maui Ocean Club for July 30th of 2016, you need to have enough points to cover both. Marriotts puts the number of points required on hold for each waitlist.

If you have multi properties on same waitlist, the first one the comes through will be confirmed. You can cancel without penalty and no charge as long as its 61 days prior to check in. Past 61 days and those points go into holding account and you can only use them to book ressies within 60 days of check in.

EDIT: re-reading you question: It will only tell you that you matched against the first one that came available. So if you are looking for the system to tell you that 2 of the Big 3 on HHI are matched, it won't do that. It will just notify on the one that matches first.

Last edited:

beckster914

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for your detailed reply, that is super helpful!

Funny thing - the example you used is actually precisely what I am looking for. The big 3 HHI beachfront properties (Barony, Grande Ocean, & Surfwatch) for sometime around July 4th 2016. Which I know may be impossible to get.

So I understand all your points - but have two more questions.

1. How does view come into play? Do you request a certain view when joining the waitlist - or whichever view becomes available first is what you get?

2. As for the exact dates - can I give a window which we would be able to travel in, instead of requesting a specific week? For example, the earliest we could travel would be June 25th and would need to be back home by July 10th. So it's about a 2 week window. We are interested in booking 5-7 nights, and are open to even splitting those between two properties if that makes the trip possible.

Thank you :)

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for your detailed reply, that is super helpful!

Funny thing - the example you used is actually precisely what I am looking for. The big 3 HHI beachfront properties (Barony, Grande Ocean, & Surfwatch) for sometime around July 4th 2016. Which I know may be impossible to get.

So I understand all your points - but have two more questions.

1. How does view come into play? Do you request a certain view when joining the waitlist - or whichever view becomes available first is what you get?

2. As for the exact dates - can I give a window which we would be able to travel in, instead of requesting a specific week? For example, the earliest we could travel would be June 25th and would need to be back home by July 10th. So it's about a 2 week window. We are interested in booking 5-7 nights, and are open to even splitting those between two properties if that makes the trip possible.

Thank you :)

1. You can specify your views for each property as long as you have enough points to cover them. So for discussion sake, say garden view is 2000 points and OF is 3000 points for same property, you can wait list both views as long as you have at least 3000 points available to hold reservation. As long as you have enough points to cover the best view you want, you are good.

2. You can have a range of dates. I just a did wait list for 2 of the Big 3 at HHi for July 23 week and August 6 week of 2016. I already have a week confirmed for July 30th at Sunset Point and wanted to add an additional week either the week before or week after. Two days after I setup the wait list, I got confirmed into Barony Beach for August 6th 2016 so it worked out perfect.

One thing to also keep in mind for the waitlist: Marroitt limits the number of people to a given week for waitlist. They do that to set realistic expectations for possible matches. I tried to add OceanWatch to the July 23rd week and was told the waitlist was full so had to add it to the August 6th week.

DKT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. However, it works a little differently than say a traditional II exchange:

1. You need to have enough points accessible in your account in order to waitlist a property. The points don't all have to be elected in the same use year, but will be borrowed on demand as needed. (For example, you want to waitlist a week thats 5000 points and you only have 4000 in 2015, you can still waitlist the 5000 property provide that you have elected points for 2016 and when match is confirmed, it will borrow 1000 from 2016 automatically. If you cancel or ressie doesn't come through, points are moved back to 2016).

Question...if you borrow and then cancel after the reservation is confirmed, the points go back into their regular use year? Is that for wait list or all borrowed points?

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question...if you borrow and then cancel after the reservation is confirmed, the points go back into their regular use year? Is that for wait list or all borrowed points?

Say if you borrow 1000 from 2016 into 2015 before you make and type of reservation, those points are "stuck" in 2015 and must be used by end of 2015.

However, if you have 2016 points and you leave them there until needed for a waitlist in 2015, they will be borrowed automatically to complete the reservation. If you were to then cancel that reservation before penalty period, those borrowed points will go back to 2016. So it's best to elect for future year and borrow "on demand" instead of pulling them into previous year because then you are stuck with those points if you cancel.

Last edited:

beckster914

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. You can specify your views for each property as long as you have enough points to cover them. So for discussion sake, say garden view is 2000 points and OF is 3000 points for same property, you can wait list both views as long as you have at least 3000 points available to hold reservation. As long as you have enough points to cover the best view you want, you are good.

2. You can have a range of dates. I just a did wait list for 2 of the Big 3 at HHi for July 23 week and August 6 week of 2016. I already have a week confirmed for July 30th at Sunset Point and wanted to add an additional week either the week before or week after. Two days after I setup the wait list, I got confirmed into Barony Beach for August 6th 2016 so it worked out perfect.

One thing to also keep in mind for the waitlist: Marroitt limits the number of people to a given week for waitlist. They do that to set realistic expectations for possible matches. I tried to add OceanWatch to the July 23rd week and was told the waitlist was full so had to add it to the August 6th week.

Thank you so much! Very helpful. So I suppose the only way to set up a waitlist is to call directly? I wish you could do more on their website!

So basically, I can call up and say I want to request the Big 3 HHI, any view (I have enough points), between June 25-July 10, for any 5-7 night stays that become available?

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Very helpful. So I suppose the only way to set up a waitlist is to call directly? I wish you could do more on their website!

So basically, I can call up and say I want to request the Big 3 HHI, any view (I have enough points), between June 25-July 10, for any 5-7 night stays that become available?

You have to call and set it up over phone. No online function for waitlist.

Since you are looking for 5-7 nights, you may have to setup multiple waitlists for each number of nights and may need the points to cover each as if you were serving for 18 nights. See, Marriott needs to hold the amount of points for each waitlist you setup so you only want to have one waitlist setup for the dates you and days you want. Remember that 7 night and 1+ night reservations have different windows of reservation depending on your status.

if you are just at to owner level, the less than 7 night stay window doesn't open up until 10 months out.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Say if you borrow 1000 from 2016 into 2015 before you make and type of reservation, those points are "stuck" in 2015 and must be used by end of 2015.

However, if you have 2016 points and you leave them there until needed for a waitlist in 2015, they will be borrowed automatically to complete the reservation. If you were to then cancel that reservation before penalty period, those borrowed points will go back to 2016. So it's best to elect for future year and borrow "on demand" instead of pulling them into previous year because then you are stuck with those points if you cancel.

Hi,
I thought that borrowed points always go back into their original use year if the reservation is cancelled

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just did a cancel and rebook, points used in the original reservation were pool points I used, they were put in pool in June. I received 50,000 Wyndham points back.
Instead of going back to use year,2015, went back as pool points.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I just did a cancel and rebook, points used in the original reservation were pool points I used, they were put in pool in June. I received 50,000 Wyndham points back.
Instead of going back to use year,2015, went back as pool points.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

But Raygo that's in a different system and they each have their own set of rules. This thread is about Marriott DC Points. :)