• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thank You TUGBBS

DrPcFix

Reaction score
Having returned from vacation with a new timeshare contact I immediately set about validating our decision to buy. And after reading all the good advice on this forum we didn't hesitate in sending out a letter rescinding the contract. I also immediately disputed the charge on my credit card. So thank you all for saving us a bundle.

Fyi the timeshare was a goldkey in va beach!

Haven't heard a peep from them yet but 45 days from when we rescinded I'll be filling a complaint with their state's timeshare division if they hadn't reversed everything.

DrPcFix

Reaction score
Having returned from vacation with a new timeshare contact I immediately set about validating our decision to buy. And after reading all the good advice on this forum we didn't hesitate in sending out a letter rescinding the contract. I also immediately disputed the charge on my credit card. So thank you all for saving us a bundle.

Fyi the timeshare was a goldkey in va beach!

Haven't heard a peep from them yet but 45 days from when we rescinded I'll be filling a complaint with their state's timeshare division if they hadn't reversed everything.

One more thing. Saved me from a $35k plus $1013/yr mistake.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! and Welcome to TUG. Looks like you've gleaned out the details of rescission on your own. Good job!

If timesharing still appeals, stick around, do some reading, be an informed consumer. There are lots of great timeshares that can be 're-homed' for very low prices, and there are rentals from existing owners for reasonable cost- with zero buy-in expense.

Again..... Welcome!

Jim

DrPcFix

Reaction score
The biggest gotcha I gleaned when I read the docs was that the timeshare was built on leased land and the timeshare and lease expired in 40 years! So much for being able to pass it on. And I thought that I only had to beware of car salesmen who look like saints compared to the timeshare sales staff.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest gotcha I gleaned when I read the docs was that the timeshare was built on leased land and the timeshare and lease expired in 40 years! So much for being able to pass it on. And I thought that I only had to beware of car salesmen who look like saints compared to the timeshare sales staff.

Yet another blessing in disguise. You would be surprised how often (at least weekly), people post here, to the effect of ; I inherited this timeshare. Neither I, nor my siblings want it, as it represents a lifetime of debt. What should we do? We have to inform them to go to the lawyer handling the probate for instructions on how to refuse it.

So be thankful again. You dodged another bullet.

Jim

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I know being able to pass it on is often used as a sales point. But how do you know your kids will want it down the road.

Having a lease-based product, like Disney VC or some Wyndham properties in Mexico, I'm sure there is more I don't know about, can be a good thing. The first t/s I ever bought (and still own) is a Wyndham affiliate property that has an expiration date. I picked in, in part, because if I hated it, I wouldn't be stuck with it forever. So it can be an exit strategy.

That doesn't excuse misdirection or misinformation on the part of t/s salespeople, however.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know being able to pass it on is often used as a sales point. But how do you know your kids will want it down the road.

Having a lease-based product, like Disney VC or some Wyndham properties in Mexico, I'm sure there is more I don't know about, can be a good thing. The first t/s I ever bought (and still own) is a Wyndham affiliate property that has an expiration date. I picked in, in part, because if I hated it, I wouldn't be stuck with it forever. So it can be an exit strategy.

That doesn't excuse misdirection or misinformation on the part of t/s salespeople, however.

I picked up Velas for exactly that reason. I can use the final two weeks of the contract and I'm done with it.

DrPcFix

Reaction score
looking good

I spoke with the developer yesterday and was told that yes my contract was cancelled. I'm still waiting for them to issue a refund to my credit card at which point I will know for sure that I successfully rescinded my contract. however, they do have up to 45 days to do this, so I'm bidding my time until then. In the meantime, I had already disputed the charge do my credit card company has already issued me a provisional credit.

Once again. Were it not for this forum, I'd have been screwed as are many I'm sure!

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
So glad that you found the information in time! As I am sure you have found, most of us here are very happy with our timeshares, its the sales model that is the problem. I hope you will stay around, learn lots and join us as informed owners. :whoopie:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Happy you got out of it, join Tug and see what we have to offer, in Marketplace, rentals, exchanges, advice, best place for timeshare info!

liliwhite543

Reaction score
I was lied to and misled concerning a points wyndham timeshare in Myrtle Beach, SC. I was told numerous lies but now to late to rescind. Do I have any options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was lied to and misled concerning a points wyndham timeshare in Myrtle Beach, SC. I was told numerous lies but now to late to rescind. Do I have any options?

What lies were you told? I understand there are some lies the company can make right for you, and some they can't.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you bought within the last few days yes you can still rescind!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you have evidence that you were defrauded, there is a good chance that you can 'get out' of the sale, but if it's just that what is in the contract you signed differs from the words the sales weasel told you, you probably own a timeshare, and all it's obligations.

Jim

liliwhite543

Reaction score
I have two small children and was told Wyndham was now affiliate with Disney(I asked repeatily) I was told it would be like staying in a Disney resort and entrance to the park was invluded. Obviously not the case

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two small children and was told Wyndham was now affiliate with Disney(I asked repeatily) I was told it would be like staying in a Disney resort and entrance to the park was invluded. Obviously not the case

Did you get it in writing? I'd love to see that. They would be beating themselves silly to let you out of that little promise!

liliwhite543

Reaction score
Of course not.. I feel so ridiculous and cheated. I am going to contact the U.S. Attorney General with a complaint and who ever else I can come up with.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't feel ridiculous. Many people have done exactly the same thing. And the statement that the resort would be "like" a Disney resort may not be that far off, but it won't "be" a Disney resort.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course you want to strike out, and feel cheated and missled. It is for just those situations that every state has laws that call for a 'cooling off', or rescission period, and they enforce them strictly. Even sleazeballs like Westgate, and Even Mexican timeshare sellers, won't do anything but process rescissions submitted in time and by their approved method.

Feel free to contact whom you wish. Though probably the State AG would be more appropriate than the US office. There are even law firms who claim to 'get you out' of timeshare contracts. We don't know of their successes, as nobody credible comes back here with testimonials we can verify.

We wish you well, and would love to have you come back and tell us of your success. We know that timeshare sales weasels lie. If they had to tell the truth, there would be no timeshare sales weasels.

If, on the other hand, you want to learn how to get the most from your purchase, we can help there, too. In a recent poll of TUGgers, half had bought their first timeshare from the developer, and most of them are happy with their purchases. Some even bought subsequent weeks from the developer.

So, Welcome to TUG.

Jim