• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yellowstone officials scolded for not training bears

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
They should come to Steamboat and hang out by dumpsters. Bears will be there sooner or later. :D

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When I saw the thread title and opened the thread, I was expecting that the link in the post would go to The Onion.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
What's particularly strange/sad about this complaint was that a hiker was recently killed by a bear at Yellowstone. And then the bear was killed (basically just on principle) and her poor little cubs were sent to a zoo.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's particularly strange/sad about this complaint was that a hiker was recently killed by a bear at Yellowstone. And then the bear was killed (basically just on principle) and her poor little cubs were sent to a zoo.

Bears have to be put down after they attack humans, because once they show a proclivity to attack people, even in defense of their cubs, the odds go up significantly of future attacks. Park rangers hate the idea of putting them down as much as anyone else-most of them are nature lovers and have worked hard to achieve park service careers. I do wish the mother and cubs could have been sent to a zoo together......

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
As Bill Engwald's wife once asked (according to him), "How do the deer know where to cross?"

I suppose she should have a conversation with the lady in the clip. :rolleyes:

Cheers

When we saw warning signs and a roped off area around where a monk seal was napping on the beach in Hawaii, my SIL asked how the seals knew that they should stay inside the ropes.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound liked this person has been watching to many Yogi the Bear cartoons.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bears have to be put down after they attack humans, because once they show a proclivity to attack people, even in defense of their cubs, the odds go up significantly of future attacks. Park rangers hate the idea of putting them down as much as anyone else-most of them are nature lovers and have worked hard to achieve park service careers. I do wish the mother and cubs could have been sent to a zoo together......

It's likely that the whole sad chain of events could have been avoided if the hiker had been using well known 'bear tactics'. bells on his shoes to announce his presence, and bear spray- a kind of Mace type irritant- handy for use if he comes up on an aggressive one. He was a long time Yellowstone hand and knew the rules. He probably thought he just knew better and didn't want to appear like a greenhorn.

Yes, the bears had to be disposed of. The one who killed the hiker was put down and her cubs relocated to where they could be cared for. Grizzly bears are NOT endangered and most zoos that keep them have programs to move them around- as much for genetic viability as to 'thin the herd'. Bears breed well in captivity.

Jim

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Bears have to be put down after they attack humans, because once they show a proclivity to attack people, even in defense of their cubs, the odds go up significantly of future attacks.

No actually that's just an assumption. There's no real proof to support the idea. Bears don't attack or kill humans often enough to really know "the odds" of attack by bears who have attacked in the past vs bears who haven't attacked humans in the past.

There is better data supporting human behaviors that influence the odds of a bear attack. For example, pepper spray has been shown to deter 90% of bear attacks, according to http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mans-life-it-almost-always-pays-with-its-own/

From the article: "many park officials believe that the increased presence of humans, particularly humans who are uneducated or careless about dealing with grizzlies, is sparking more of these deadly confrontations. Not because bears get a 'taste for human blood' — speaking to Slate, Servheen dismissed that idea as something from 'horror stories in movies' — but because humans who get too close to bears can trigger defensive responses, and bears that are too accustomed to humans are more likely to launch an un-bear-like predatory attack."

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
No actually that's just an assumption. There's no real proof to support the idea. Bears don't attack or kill humans often enough to really know "the odds" of attack by bears who have attacked in the past vs bears who haven't attacked humans in the past.

But the assumption is an educated one. Bears learn, and this bear would have learned that humans go down so easily that there is no need to fear them at all. That, and they taste like food.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
But the assumption is an educated one. Bears learn, and this bear would have learned that humans go down so easily that there is no need to fear them at all. That, and they taste like food.

It might seem logical and perhaps based on some educated guesses but the fact is that it's not the least bit scientific. There isn't any actual reliable data about bear attacks at all let alone good data about what factors (about the bears) influence bear attacks.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^^ :clap: My thoughts exactly.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Forty years ago, early in my professional career when I was working in the drinking water supply program that CA Dept. of Health Services, the "educated assumption" was that organic chemicals were unlikely to contaminate groundwater because of the filtering and sorption capacity of overlying soils.

Three years later I had two technicians working for me, collecting nearly 1000 well water samples over a three-month period from Redding to Chula Vista, trying to help us get a handle on how widespread was the contamination of groundwater by organic chemicals.