• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II vs Redweek rent/purchase for MOW

jrpeterson5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We need to consider a different vacation week for 2016 at Marriott Ocean Watch. We are resale floating week (gold) owners and we do not have membership with II. I am a member of Redweek.

Would it be better for me to purchase a II membership and transfer a week into there or would it be better to just rent and purchase a week on Redweek. Basically we are gold week owners but would like to visit during a platinum June week for 2016. We do NOT have our gold week reservation secured yet for 2016 at MOW.

I've never used II and only rented from an owner at redweek in the past. Thanks for any insight.

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will have difficulty exchanging a gold week for a platinum week at MOW. Your best option is to try and get one of the last two weeks in August reserved with your gold week and try an exchange that way. They are the most desired gold weeks at MOW. If that option does not work then renting from one of the internet sites would work. I have always rented my weeks out via Redweek. Good luck.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think you are a little late to set up a II membership and a search. Having a specific month especially if it is only one or two of the weeks in June that you would be willing to accept coupled with the late start for the search will make II very difficult for anything other than a fairly last minute deposit.

You are also late in reserving your gold week. I would get on Marriott and reserve week 33 today if it is still available. I think that is going to be the best rental or deposit week.

jrpeterson5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I tried to secure week 33 on Wednesday. The Marriott system completely crapped out. There is a thread on it from a few days ago. I was extremely frustrated to say the least as I was online and phone ready to go.

At any rate, I will try for the one the remaining August weeks and just rent on Redweek. That sounds like that will be my best option. I appreciate the input.

Let me ask this....is it worth checking the website several times a day to see if anything opens up for week 33?? This is my first time reserving with our ownership so I don't know if that's just wasting time. In my mind I imagine once booked it's unlikely for anything to open.

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to check, but keep in mind that week 33 and 34 are the most desired gold weeks. Many people purchased a gold week with the hope of reserving one of those two weeks (myself included). I ended up purchasing a platinum week as well as a third Marriott week which now gives me 13 month reservation window for making my reservations. If you don't get the August weeks this year, try to utilize the 13 month reservation window next year since you own another Marriott week. I believe with MOW being as popular as it is for owner use, that is your best option for future use.

jrpeterson5

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to check, but keep in mind that week 33 and 34 are the most desired gold weeks. Many people purchased a gold week with the hope of reserving one of those two weeks (myself included). I ended up purchasing a platinum week as well as a third Marriott week which now gives me 13 month reservation window for making my reservations. If you don't get the August weeks this year, try to utilize the 13 month reservation window next year since you own another Marriott week. I believe with MOW being as popular as it is for owner use, that is your best option for future use.

We actually only own one Marriott week. The other property we own is DVC. But it brings up another question. If you own two weeks and use the 13 month window can you then separate those two weeks and rent one of them off?? In other words, I book two consecutive gold weeks at the 13 month window (if I owned two gold floating weeks in the same view category)....can I split them afterwards and stay one week and rent the other??

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We actually only own one Marriott week. The other property we own is DVC. But it brings up another question. If you own two weeks and use the 13 month window can you then separate those two weeks and rent one of them off?? In other words, I book two consecutive gold weeks at the 13 month window (if I owned two gold floating weeks in the same view category)....can I split them afterwards and stay one week and rent the other??

Yes, if you book consecutive/concurrent Weeks using the 13-mos Reservation Window, you can subsequently rent out, deposit to II, cancel and re-book or cancel and exchange for DC Points any of the booked Weeks. But, the MVW reps suggest that you wait until the 12-mos window has opened before making any changes to 13-mos reservations (to be on the safe side and not lose all of the 13-mos reservations.)

Noting here ... the only requirement for using the 13-mos Reservation Window is that the intervals being reserved fall consecutively/concurrently on the calendar. It's not restricted to all same Weeks. You can use Weeks from different resorts, different seasons, different unit sizes and different views, as long as they line up correctly.

For example, I routinely book consecutively at 13-mos a SurfWatch Gold 3BR oceanside, a Barony Beach Gold 2BR oceanfront, and a SurfWatch Plat 3BR oceanvista straddling the Memorial Day holiday. Over the years I've subsequently cancelled many of those reservations while keeping one or two of the booked Weeks.

jrpeterson5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that clarification Sue. I'm thinking if I can get my hands on a second week this could be a very viable option. The 13 month window would hopefully help us secure one of the two most sought after weeks in the gold season. So does booking at the 13 months virtually assure you will get what you want or is it limited to the number of units they open to this situation? I realize how the 12 month window works but not necessarily the 13 month (besides the fact you need to own two weeks to get it).

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no guarantee with anything, but I own three weeks and when booking them consecutively I have been successful in getting the weeks that i have always wanted. I have owned MOW since pre-construction sales started when I bought my gold week first. I added the platinum week later as well as the platinum Manor Club week. Owning multiple weeks definitely helps to get the much sought after August gold weeks at MOW. When booking multiple weeks you need to know the date of the 13 month window opening and be on the phone at 9am. When booking this year it took approx. 30 calls to Marriott before I finally got through.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
They only allow 50% of the weeks to be reserved at 13 months so get on the phone at exactly 9 am.