• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Grande Vista II shortstay - room location request

thickey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got a 2BR shortstay for the Grande Vista over Christmas holiday.
Can we can request a certain location?
If so, what's the best building/unit to ask for?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can place a request but not likely this far out. Your unit and building options are going to depend on what unit type you have. You can see this in your history in II. Once you report your unit type others will be able to give building advice. There have been quite a few threads on this so you might find what you need with a search.

An II short stay is actually just a normal 7 day Marriott reservation unless things have drastically changed since I last messed with short stays. What will happen is when you look up the reservation number on marriott.com you will see that it is for 7 nights. The resort supposedly gets info from II on which nights belong to you. The other nights technically still belong to II but to my knowledge they have never acted on them. For example the remaining nights do not stay in the short stay booking for someone else to see.

I have experienced various results with short stays in Marriotts. I did a 4 night short stay where I had the first 4 days and Marriott checked me through the full 7 nights. I have done several 6 day back end short stays where Marriott checked me in a day early. At the same time I had a 5 day back end concurrent short stay but they didn't check me in until the day I was supposed to check-in (even though the unit went empty).

If you are on the front end of the 7 days then you will likely receive the added benefit of not having to check-out at 10AM.

If things have changed and your marriott.com reservation shows the short stay dates please let us know. It would be nice if II eventually fixes this and finishes programming the short stay program. It stinks to have someone book a single night and by default snags all 7 days from the short stay availability.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
You can place a request but not likely this far out. Your unit and building options are going to depend on what unit type you have. You can see this in your history in II. Once you report your unit type others will be able to give building advice. There have been quite a few threads on this so you might find what you need with a search.

An II short stay is actually just a normal 7 day Marriott reservation unless things have drastically changed since I last messed with short stays. What will happen is when you look up the reservation number on marriott.com you will see that it is for 7 nights. The resort supposedly gets info from II on which nights belong to you. The other nights technically still belong to II but to my knowledge they have never acted on them. For example the remaining nights do not stay in the short stay booking for someone else to see.

I have experienced various results with short stays in Marriotts. I did a 4 night short stay where I had the first 4 days and Marriott checked me through the full 7 nights. I have done several 6 day back end short stays where Marriott checked me in a day early. At the same time I had a 5 day back end concurrent short stay but they didn't check me in until the day I was supposed to check-in (even though the unit went empty).

If you are on the front end of the 7 days then you will likely receive the added benefit of not having to check-out at 10AM.

If things have changed and your marriott.com reservation shows the short stay dates please let us know. It would be nice if II eventually fixes this and finishes programming the short stay program. It stinks to have someone book a single night and by default snags all 7 days from the short stay availability.

We were just at DSVII on a short stay. The front desk knew exactly what four days we were staying. Also, somehow it was really important to them that I had my printed confirmation. At first they could not locate our reservation.

This was different than the last time we used a short stay. I am not sure if this is location specific or if they are tracking things better.

FYI - they called my reservation a "getaway" reservation and indicated that for their purposes, it was different than their exchange inventory from II.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just at DSVII on a short stay. The front desk knew exactly what four days we were staying. Also, somehow it was really important to them that I had my printed confirmation. At first they could not locate our reservation.

This was different than the last time we used a short stay. I am not sure if this is location specific or if they are tracking things better.

FYI - they called my reservation a "getaway" reservation and indicated that for their purposes, it was different than their exchange inventory from II.

Interesting. All of my short stays that I booked were also available as regular II exchanges. I am probably not going to book a short stay any time soon sue to the inflexibility of the booking but I am going to play around and see if the inventory is still the same.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Did your marriott.com account show the full 7 nights?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. All of my short stays that I booked were also available as regular II exchanges. I am probably not going to book a short stay any time soon sue to the inflexibility of the booking but I am going to play around and see if the inventory is still the same.

Poking around it appears to be the same flawed system where all short stays are actually 7 night reservations (And also available as regular exchanges). This is easily tested by looking for 2BR or other easily identifiable short stay units that are available for 5 or fewer nights but are not available for the full 6 nights. For example a Thursday check-in at Grande Vista would show 1-6 nights from both Thursday and Friday. Saturday would then only show an option of 1-5 nights.

If the unbooked nights remained in the short stay inventory you would see many units that could only be booked 1-3 nights, especially larger units.

It was once thought that II does not have the ability to chop up a marriott reservation but I was told at Ocean Pointe that II does have the ability to send in a second guest certificate for the same 7 nights. I wasn't sure if they meant they would then change the underlying reservation or just manage it on the side. Either way it's problematic within the system because the initial reservation for the short stay really needs to have the right number of nights to make it work properly, otherwise it can result in a reservation cancellation during your actual stay. Obviously it's confusing enough for II to never have gotten it sorted out by now even though short stays have been in place for a long time.

On a side note, the issue isn't just marriott. It seems to be all the inventory although at least a few resorts are looking at the SS nights in order to show the correct reservation in their system. It still seems like II is letting the unused nights go to waste even for those.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did your marriott.com account show the full 7 nights?

We weren't able to add our # before we arrived. :rolleyes: At check in the woman specifically mentioned our check out date. Which surprised me..

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Poking around it appears to be the same flawed system where all short stays are actually 7 night reservations.

On a side note, the issue isn't just marriott. It seems to be all the inventory although at least a few resorts are looking at the SS nights in order to show the correct reservation in their system. It still seems like II is letting the unused nights go to waste even for those.

This has been my experience at the 2 ShortStays I've done, one a Marriott and the other not. Both resorts thought we were checking in for a full week. In fact at one of them the front desk did not even believe that there was such a thing as a SS.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

Golf course views building 96 to 100, 93 94 examples quiet pool 98 97

Main pool rec center 81 82 80

Main pool 2. 84 79 our personal favorites

Believe most building have renovated rooms

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We weren't able to add our # before we arrived. :rolleyes: At check in the woman specifically mentioned our check out date. Which surprised me..

You can still check the reservation on marriott.com even if it has no mrp# attached. You just need name, reservation number, and check-in date. It used to just be the last name but it looks like they changed it to two fields with first and last name.

In your case you may have had the latter half of the reservation as your short stay. In this case the check-out date may have been the same as the original 7 day reservation.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In a recent stay at Ocean Pointe using shortstay for the first 6 nights of the week, the front desk mentioned that check in and the pre-arrival confirmation that my stay was for 6 nights. Marriott.com had my reservation at 7 nights. We had to check out at the end of the 6 nights.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

best to check the Resort Map for GV on the MVW website and learn the building numbers.

Then, check the actual aerial view on Googlemaps and see EXACTLY what's there for those buildings, such as pool locations, golf course location, clubhouse location, restaurant locations, etc., etc.

you can ZOOM in and out, or side to side, and also get proximity and/or driving directions to the parks or anywhere else, including restaurants, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.398456,-81.4547718,18z/data=!3m1!1e3

to see better, remove the lower bar of photos by minimizing them on right (small double down arrows next to the word "Explore")

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Grande Vista does not let you request a building number, except perhaps at check-in. Now they ask you to give your 1st and 2nd choice by selecting a box on the pre-arrival form:
Pool view (low floor or high floor)
Golf view (low floor or high floor)
Lake view (low floor or high floor)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can still check the reservation on marriott.com even if it has no mrp# attached. You just need name, reservation number, and check-in date. It used to just be the last name but it looks like they changed it to two fields with first and last name.

In your case you may have had the latter half of the reservation as your short stay. In this case the check-out date may have been the same as the original 7 day reservation.
Good information. Especially about checking the reservation without the number.

And thickey, sorry about the hijack! :D

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista does not let you request a building number, except perhaps at check-in. Now they ask you to give your 1st and 2nd choice by selecting a box on the pre-arrival form:
Pool view (low floor or high floor)
Golf view (low floor or high floor)
Lake view (low floor or high floor)

When the pre-arrival team sends the confirmation that they received your preferences, that's when I request the buildings.

I have also typed it in the multiple reservations box (I know it's not meant for that but it has worked) when submitting the preferences

I usually request 93, 94 and 81 because of the proximity to the pool and those buildings were just refurbished in the past year or so.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the pre-arrival team sends the confirmation that they received your preferences, that's when I request the buildings.

I have also typed it in the multiple reservations box (I know it's not meant for that but it has worked) when submitting the preferences

I usually request 93, 94 and 81 because of the proximity to the pool and those buildings were just refurbished in the past year or so.

I type it in the multiple reservation box as well and this has worked so far for multiple resorts. A recent request at ocean pointe using this box resulted in a detailed confirmation email of my request that confirmed exactly what I had requested.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
It's funny, but I always do that, too. It usually works, but I didn't know anyone else did it. :)