• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France - Need Assistance

Cat Tamer

Reaction score
I need some help with the planning of ground transportation in France.

My family and I will be staying at Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France in January. There are 6 of us total (myself, my wife and our four daughters - 13, 11, 8, 4). We are staying 9 evenings. We plan on going into Paris several days,which we plan on doing by train, but we will also be doing day trips into the country as well, so I plan on renting a car.

I have a few questions for those who may have done this trip before:

(1) Upon arrival, what is the best option for trains between CDG and the MVC resort? Looking online, it appears that you need to take a train from CGD to Les Halles and then transfer to the A4 there to go out toward Disneyland Paris. Is there an express train similar to the Heathrow Express that runs from CDG into the city?
(2) Am I just better to rent a car to get me from CDG to MVC from the get go and just leave it on days when I don't need it?
(3) Is there any special insurance that I need to get or accept when for the car rental? Is there compulsory coverage that I will be forced to purchase?
(4) Travel insurance - Amex travel insurance vs. Vacation Guard. In your experience, which is better?

I'm sure I will have more, but wanted to see if anyone could provide opinions on these first few questions.

Thanks for the help.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I can't answer your questions on the trains, but you will want insurance on the car rental.

You can check with your regular auto insurance company but in general your US policy has no effect internationally. You need collision and liability coverage at a minimum. Maybe more depending on your risk tolerance. I usually accept all of the insurance offered. Or some credit cards off good international coverage. I know American Express has a special full coverage option you can purchase.

Unlike the US, where most rental companies only do a basic inspection of the vehicle when you return it, some of the agencies go over the returning vehicle very closely. I have had them complain about minor dings and paint chips, etc...

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paris Metro

Don't make the mistake that I made a couple months ago. I purchased the Paris Pass which included a metro card for zones 1-3. When returning, I was told that I had to pay a big penalty. Apparently you need a zone 1-5 metro card, which costs extra.

So for a few days, I would drive to Vincennes, park my car, and then use the metro. This worked out OK. Parking at Vincennes was cheaper than parking at the station near the Marriott and the overall commute time was equally long.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your questions on the trains, but you will want insurance on the car rental.

You can check with your regular auto insurance company but in general your US policy has no effect internationally. You need collision and liability coverage at a minimum. Maybe more depending on your risk tolerance. I usually accept all of the insurance offered. Or some credit cards off good international coverage. I know American Express has a special full coverage option you can purchase.

Unlike the US, where most rental companies only do a basic inspection of the vehicle when you return it, some of the agencies go over the returning vehicle very closely. I have had them complain about minor dings and paint chips, etc...

I don't do anything special in France for insurance. Last trip I got a Mercedes diesel and drove down to the Riviera. No problems with the rental but I got like two notifications of tickets when I returned home.. (The diesel moves very well over the mountains near the Riviera). The rental company charges like $15 to give the notifications to you and they automatically charge your credit card - but it doesn't cover the cost of the ticket itself..

So just be aware - not a lot of police - just a lot of automated traffic cams for speed in use in France.

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott credit card pays primary for rental coverage abroad.

One option to consider is getting a shuttle to the hotel and renting the car once outside the city.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My wife and daughter stayed at Marriott's Village d'lle de France in November 2014 for 7 nights. Below are my wife's suggestions, as well as some additional insights she offers for you:

(1) Upon arrival, what is the best option for trains between CDG and the MVC resort? Looking online, it appears that you need to take a train from CGD to Les Halles and then transfer to the A4 there to go out toward Disneyland Paris. Is there an express train similar to the Heathrow Express that runs from CDG into the city?

Do not go from CDG to Les Halles and change. Here’s a YouTube video that should help…plus I’m adding things you need to be aware of before you leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7jKaPGVbY

a) The TGV train station is located in, if I recall correctly, terminal 2 in the Charles De Gaulle Airport. Just look for the signs - a bit of a walk from the main terminal.
b) Purchase your train tickets via the kiosks shown on the YouTube video.
c) The TGV train takes you directly from CDG to Marne La Vallee-Chessy station the train station right outside Disney Paris.
d) From CDG to Marne La Vallee-Chessy Station is about a 20-30 minute train ride.
e) When you get off the train at Marne La Vallee-Chessy Station go to the NAVIGO Decouverte and purchase a week transportation pass for the RER Trains – this is rail the locals use – you will need to bring a driver’s license size photo to give them so they can transfer it to your rail pass.
f) The RER pass is about 40 Euros per person for a week but you can purchase longer stays. This PASS is terrific. We traveled all over France on trains and buses for that one price.
g) Once you purchase your week RER pass take Public Transportation Bus 34 and it will take you from the Marne la Valee Chessy Train station to the Marriott stop which is L’Orme Rond. Use the pull cord to notify the driver that you want to get off - if you don’t they will not stop. From L’Orme Rond you will need to walk about a block to the check-in desk.
h) If you don’t want to take Bus 34 from Chessy Station, the Marriott does have a shuttle bus that runs but we found them very difficult to time properly. You can also take a taxi but that is pricey from Chessy.

(2) Am I just better to rent a car to get me from CDG to MVC from the get go and just leave it on days when I don't need it?
(3) Is there any special insurance that I need to get or accept when for the car rental? Is there compulsory coverage that I will be forced to purchase?

The Marne la Valee-Chessy train station have Hertz and Avis rental cars on property. I would advise you to book your Hertz or Avis cars in the US online just like you would for any domestic car rental and get your confirmation # for presentation. I am Hertz Gold and Avis President’s Club member and when I went online to try to book, the pricing was not too extreme. However, if you wait until you get to Paris you will find as we did that there were no cars available. They sell out, so we were not able to get a car. Plus if you book online thru Hertz you can specify an automatic – otherwise you will get manual shift. If you use your Marriott Visa Card you will have travel insurance included as well as if you use AmEX.

(4) Travel insurance - Amex travel insurance vs. Vacation Guard. In your experience, which is better?

I have never purchased travel insurance for timeshares so don’t really know about this one.

You mention going into Paris by train. We did this almost every day. Just be prepared for a 30 minute train ride in the morning and return + riding bus 34 if you don’t see the shuttle from the train station to the L’Orme Rond stop.

At least in November, the first shuttle of the morning didn’t leave until 8:55am – which we found very annoying. – so take that into consideration in your day trip planning. The Marriott Shuttle bus to the Chessy RER train station is 4.50 Euro per person per trip – you need to get your shuttle tickets every day. The RER A train into Paris is toward the back left corner of the train station.

I would definitely NOT recommend driving in Paris proper. Take the trains. No parking, no street divider lane markings, so a bit crazy when the trains are so easy.

A car is a must to drive to Provins – about a 45 minute drive from resort, or Fontainebleau about a 1-hour drive from the resorts. Terre De Champagne region is about 1 hour 20 minute drive. We took the trains to Versailles, but if I had it to do over, I would rent a car and drive. Versailles is about 1 hour and 15 minutes by car.

Finally here are a couple of must eat places that your daughters will love:

1) Laduree – many locations, but the flagship and the original is at 16 Rue Royale (8th Arrondissement). The hot chocolate and macaroons are to die for and the inside – while small – is like a fairy tale.
2) Angelina – the original is Rue de Rivoli right beside the Louvre Tuileries garden. There is a wait so plan to get there early. Not a tourist spot. Lot's of locals. Well worth the wait!

I also recommend getting a Paris Museum Pass. You can get 2, 4, or 6 day passes. As students the kids will be free. That allows you to go to Notre Dame, the Louvre, plus over 50 other museums and attractions for one flat price.

Last edited:

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
to the good advice above I would add that renting a car at the airport on arrival, and driving to the Marriott may be a good alternative, especially when traveling with luggage. This will also give you more flexibility to plan your days in and out of Paris.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I also wouldn't bother with a train from the airport. If you're planning on renting a car anyway then why not pick one up at the airport, you'll certainly have more choice than the expensive Hertz and Avis at Marne La Vallee. Plus, who wants to be faffing about with luggage, young children and the hassles of train travel after a long haul flight?

I always use Sixt in Europe when available and a quick check has come back with a 7 seater Ford Grand Tourneo (manual) for 450 euros for a week, this includes third party insurance and a full to full fuel policy. It doesn't include damage excess waiver or tyre and windscreen cover however I now take out my own separate car hire insurance which covers unlimited car hire worldwide for £35.

Besides, you'll want the car to carry all that cheap wine you buy from the supermarket when you first arrive.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We would opt for a car for the full time, too. We really enjoyed having one the week we were at MVF.

Our trip was just a little different. We stayed a few days in a Paris hotel initially, and we didn't get the rental car for that time. Paris was fairly easy to get around in, and most of the first two days, we were doing Hop On Hop Off bus tours and seeing the sights. I picked up a car (a few blocks from our hotel) on the day we checked out of the hotel and headed to MVF.

FWIW, driving in Paris isn't for the weak of heart. I've driven in tons of major US cities (LA, DC, NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.), but Paris was (to me) a little more challenging than any of those. Roundabouts. Quick drivers. Driving a stick again for the first time in probably 20 years. A spider web of roads (most like Boston). Different signs (and language). It wasn't too crazy, but it definitely took a lot of concentration plus navigation help from my wife. It doesn't sound like you're planning on doing any driving in Paris, but I just wanted to prepare you, just in case you do.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
Everyone told us to get the unlimited Metro pass but for us it worked out alot better to buy individual tickets for the days we needed them. Just be sure to buy the 10 packs of bus passes which work out to €1.40 per ride (€0.70 for children) but were not mentioned by the Marriott concierge. Bear in mind also that it will take a good hour to get to Paris on the train but your train pass does allow you one ride on the Metro when you first arrive.

The best deal we found was taking the bus (route 50) to the medieval town of Provins. For two regular bus tickets you can get from the Disneyland station to Provins on a nice bus in about an hour.

One confusing thing was that the same number bus line will sometimes have different routes or detours and it is not always clear if you are not familiar with the system. Lastly make sure you eat at Au Bon Petit in the town near the Marriott.

David10225

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barony Beach
My plan

I was very happy to read this thread. I just bought my airline tickets for a trip to Paris in mid January. I was also able to secure 7 nights at the Marriott timeshare using a combination of cash and destination points.

I initially thought about staying in Paris central for a few days, but I am not a city person and since there will be 4 adults, our options were limited. I'm a little apprehensive about staying so far out, but I think I will consider it like being at home in the country and commuting to "work" :)

My plan is 2 days to sightseeing Paris, 2 days at Disneyland, 1 day just shopping, 1 day for a trip to Versailles, and 1 day as a transition day.

I have ruled out renting a car - I'm just too paranoid to rent out of the states. That leaves us to the whims of public transportation.

My big question is about which type of pass to buy. We arrive at 630 AM on a Saturday. Yes we can take the high speed train to the Disneyland station, but that is about 30 euros each (Yikes) from what I have read. I could book a private transfer for about 100 euros, but that would get us to the Marriott mid morning - likely unable to check in and no where to go.

My current plan is to buy the 3 day pass and do that horrendous trip into paris on the train and then transfer and come out of paris. Seems sort of ridicuous, but what else do we have to do, plus we will have a transportation ticket in case we get ambitious once we drop off our luggage at the Marriott and decide to go and try and buy some groceries or go shopping or have lunch somewhere. We will just have to power through it.

I read about the 7 day pass (where you need a picture), but that only starts on Monday and goes through Sunday so that wouldn't work for us I think.

So my plan right now is:

Saturday - make way to Marriott - drop luggage - go back out to look for food
Sunday - train into Paris
Monday - Train into Paris
Tuesday - Disneyland
Wednesday - Disneyland
Thursday - Shopping Day (I think there is a big mall one stop from Disneyland)
Friday - trip to Versailles
Saturday - Take High Speed Rail back to Airport for trip home (or book private transport)

What do you guys think!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
What do you guys think!

I think that you should rent a car. Don't worry about driving, the roads around the resort are very quiet and once you're out onto the country roads you can sometimes drive for miles before passing another car. You also have the benefit of being used to driving on the right and trust me, if you can cope with driving in the US then driving in France is a breeze. Of course I wouldn't advise driving in Paris.

As for Disneyland, is this a 'must do' or are you planning on visiting simply because it's there? Disneyland Paris is a dump, it's tired, dirty and expensive and whilst I have never been to the parks in the US the overwhelming sentiment from others that have is that there is no comparison. I've been there three times and I've vowed never to go again. If we visit with the kids we will go to Parc Asterix which is far better in my opinion however if it's only adults travelling then I can't see much appeal.

There is a large mall, Val D'Europe, which is closer to the resort than DLP and can be reached by car in about five minutes. The huge Auchan supermarket is also there which is another benefit of having a car in order to load up on all that wine. Having the car also means that you can return to the airport and avoid paying for a private transfer or the train.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
David,
I've been to this Marriott resort twice. I agree with Pompey Family, I would definitely recommend renting a car.

First time I was with my son (age 14?) and we didn't rent a car. We got the transportation passes for the week and used local transportation. We went into Paris several times.

Second trip my DH & traveled with another couple. We rented a car at CDG airport and it was great. We really enjoyed having a car to explore the countryside.

Also agree with the comments on DisneyParis. I would skip it, or only go for one day. The first trip I bought 3 day passes for my son & I. We only used 2 days. We were not impressed. DisneyWorld & Disneyland in the US are much better!! There are so many other things to see & do in Paris.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
With 6 persons, if you are not getting a car at the airport, consider a private transfer for around $150. It's probably about the same or less than the TGV. I would not take the train into Paris and then out to resort upon arrival. If you are from the US, you likely took an overnight flight. That, plus being in a foreign country with luggage just puts a damper on the whole beginning of your trip. We were going to get a car our last trip (having Avis reserved at Chessy train station), but then decided that we didn't need it. There is no need for a car to go to Provins. You can take the 2 euro bus from Chessy. (Note-Chessy and Marne la vallee are the same place--at DLP gates).
It's a lovely ride thu the countryside and a few VERY small villages to get there--takes 45 minutes each way--it's a nice day trip, esp. if you decide not to get a car, as you can get out into the countryside and see an interesting place via public transportation.
We also just bought tickets as we went. An all day Moblis pass for our zone was 15 euros, which was also good on all buses, metro in Paris for the day.
without a car-The local bus works great to both DLP and Val d-Europe where our teen loved the big shopping mall. It stops right outside the M. M has a little store is great for essentials esp. 1st night check-in dinner. There is a larger market that you can walk to in the town (10 minutes-nice walk).
We loved this M so much that we arranged our trip to return next summer. Our next trip, we will get a car, as we want to go to Fountainbleau, Reims, and maybe even up to Verdun, plus we have seen the roads and feel more comfortable. Elaine

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention Fountainbleau until I read Elaine's post. Highly recommend it, we had a very enjoyable day there.

With a rental car you can drive there & explore the area. I also recommend Versailles & Provins (spelling?).

All of these areas are much more interesting than DisneyParis. We love Disney, but I wouldn't waste a day there again. I'll stick with DisneyWorld in Florida & Disneyland in California.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
did anyone drive from the M to Versailles? How was the drive?

Bill4728

Reaction score
did anyone drive from the M to Versailles? How was the drive?

We did not drive it because it is on the far side of Paris. So it was much easier to just train thru Paris than drive around the city area.