• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

God Bless TUG! You just saved me 30K!

ldzierzanowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK my story, I travel 100+ days a year and most of those days are spent in a Hilton hotel. To say I am a loyal Hilton member would be selling it short, I have been a Diamond VIP for the last 15 years every year. Had to be in Vegas for a job last weekend and I thought why not stay at the new Elara property and take the wife and have a quick little getaway. Nice, right? Same old story, 90 minutes of your time for $150 cash on dining at Mesa Grill I've sat through these things before and always said no. Not this time, this time I signed on the dotted line and paid cash for the whole thing; $30K for 5000 pts gold season with 11,0000 bonus points. Great deal right???? NOT!!! (I swear I'm smarter than that!)

I suddenly cant sleep, what have I bought? Is it a good deal? You know all the questions that run through your mind after you buy these things. So GOOGLE search and TUG comes up and the rest is history.

I will say Hilton was straight up a pleasure to work with, no games just an I'm sorry your not going to be an owner and at your convenience would you please mail us back our books. Your refund will appear in 48 hours. This all happened within 24 hours of receiving our rescission letter.

I have already found Seth and Judy and are looking at Hilton resale contracts, we will probably end up with much more points at a greatly reduced cost. I like points for the flexibility.

I do have a question for you experienced TS members out there. We love the Caribbean and I would not mind having a week or two with someone in that region. Hilton is not particularly strong in that area when it comes to TS Resorts. Any recommendations?

Finally if you use the RCI option with HGVC is that a good deal and can you get good properties if you plan well ahead.

Thanks again for all the great advice on how to rescind you guys are a godsend. Plan on seeing me around on this board.

LD

night0wl

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK my story, I travel 100+ days a year and most of those days are spent in a Hilton hotel. To say I am a loyal Hilton member would be selling it short, I have been a Diamond VIP for the last 15 years every year. Had to be in Vegas for a job last weekend and I thought why not stay at the new Elara property and take the wife and have a quick little getaway. Nice, right? Same old story, 90 minutes of your time for $150 cash on dining at Mesa Grill I've sat through these things before and always said no. Not this time, this time I signed on the dotted line and paid cash for the whole thing; $30K for 5000 pts gold season with 11,0000 bonus points. Great deal right???? NOT!!! (I swear I'm smarter than that!)

I suddenly cant sleep, what have I bought? Is it a good deal? You know all the questions that run through your mind after you buy these things. So GOOGLE search and TUG comes up and the rest is history.

I will say Hilton was straight up a pleasure to work with, no games just an I'm sorry your not going to be an owner and at your convenience would you please mail us back our books. Your refund will appear in 48 hours. This all happened within 24 hours of receiving our rescission letter.

I have already found Seth and Judy and are looking at Hilton resale contracts, we will probably end up with much more points at a greatly reduced cost. I like points for the flexibility.

I do have a question for you experienced TS members out there. We love the Caribbean and I would not mind having a week or two with someone in that region. Hilton is not particularly strong in that area when it comes to TS Resorts. Any recommendations?

Finally if you use the RCI option with HGVC is that a good deal and can you get good properties if you plan well ahead.

Thanks again for all the great advice on how to rescind you guys are a godsend. Plan on seeing me around on this board.

LD

Make sure to check out eBay too. Contract prices have been crazy cheap on eBay and seem to be passing ROFR too.

Though some would like to believe exchanges into resorts are easy and happen frequently, my experience is that even with Ongoing Searches and mastering the system and its intricacies, (which takes time...and if you're like me, you dont have much time), exchanges are hit or miss. ESPECIALLY for peak season or for nice resorts. You're much more likely to get access to nice areas during off and shoulder seasons. Some resorts are entirely impossible to exchange into.

Its also expensive to exchange...the exchange fee is upwards of $200 and even when its discounted (RCI has promotions), there are often ticky-tack fees that individual resorts will pile on. Activities fees, all inclusive fees, energy usage fee, blah blah blah.

That being said, being an owner of a deed itself is a big financial commitment and you're locked into another maintenance fee and going to the same resort over and over again.

With as much Hilton travel you do, your *BEST* ROI would likely be utilizing VIP awards for points you've earned, even w/Hiltons beastly devaluation of HHonors.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are planning on doing some exchanging rather than just using your deeded week (or season) at your 'home' resort, you might 'pay back' some of that $30K by actually joining TUG. It's just $15/yr and helps support the site. It also gives you access to the thousands of reviews by TUGgers at resorts around the world, so when you want to research possible exchanges, for instance, in the Caribbean, you can search them out, see what the resorts are like and get really detailed information about the resorts and surrounding activities. Only paid Members have this access. Most of us feel it's the best money we've ever spent.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

LD

First of all CONGRATS on saving tens of thousands of dollars (you could literally buy a 7k point package for a third of what you paid and use the remainder to pay MF for the next 15 years).

RCI is hit or miss, there is also SFX exchange. I recommend you do a lot of research, gain a COMPLETE understanding of the HGVC system (and other systems), the commitments, costs etc (read everything you can ), and figure out if it is worth it for you and if HGVC is the best system for you and your projected future travel needs.

Remember, any deal you see will still be available in 6 months, but once you sign on the dotted line, you are done for.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations! Now you have time to research what you really need and want. Check out Marriott (St Kitts, St Thomas) Hyatt (Puerto Rico) or Starwood (St John, Nassau) for Caribbean coverage at a comparable level of quality to Hilton. That would also allow you to access Interval International's (II) trade system - RCI's competitor. Most timeshares are affiliated with either one or the other.

Conventional TUG wisdom is to buy where, and in which season, you want to stay most of the time for the least hassle. But that also carries the most upfront cash cost. If you were willing to spend $30k, you should be able to spend 2/3 to 3/4 that much and get a Hilton AND a Starwood, Hyatt, or Marriott if you are patient. :cheer:

I personally don't have that kind of upfront cash to play with, so I just bought into the points systems I wanted, and have learned to work the ins and outs of the point systems I own. Good thing I work for myself, because that sometimes feels like a full time job. :rofl:

ldzierzanowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are planning on doing some exchanging rather than just using your deeded week (or season) at your 'home' resort, you might 'pay back' some of that $30K by actually joining TUG. It's just $15/yr and helps support the site. It also gives you access to the thousands of reviews by TUGgers at resorts around the world, so when you want to research possible exchanges, for instance, in the Caribbean, you can search them out, see what the resorts are like and get really detailed information about the resorts and surrounding activities. Only paid Members have this access. Most of us feel it's the best money we've ever spent.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Thanks Jim, I joined today and gratefully spent my $15. Guess my status hasn't changed yet. Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing a lot of research.

Next stop the Marriott in Aruba and the Hyatt in Maui this summer then Sandals in Barbados for Christmas. One good thing about all the travel I do, other chains constantly offer me nice "deals" to stay at their chains. None of these require a sales pitch.:cheer:

ldzierzanowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Now you have time to research what you really need and want. Check out Marriott (St Kitts, St Thomas) Hyatt (Puerto Rico) or Starwood (St John, Nassau) for Caribbean coverage at a comparable level of quality to Hilton. That would also allow you to access Interval International's (II) trade system - RCI's competitor. Most timeshares are affiliated with either one or the other.

Conventional TUG wisdom is to buy where, and in which season, you want to stay most of the time for the least hassle. But that also carries the most upfront cash cost. If you were willing to spend $30k, you should be able to spend 2/3 to 3/4 that much and get a Hilton AND a Starwood, Hyatt, or Marriott if you are patient. :cheer:

I personally don't have that kind of upfront cash to play with, so I just bought into the points systems I wanted, and have learned to work the ins and outs of the point systems I own. Good thing I work for myself, because that sometimes feels like a full time job. :rofl:

Funny enough we are off to the Marriott in Aruba this summer. I think we will probably take the advice I've seen posted on this site and rent a few times to see which brands in the Caribbean we like. Thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Story of the week! Congrats!

Welcome to TUG =)

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, now that was an outstanding story and welcome to Tug's.

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats OP. Welcome to the world of timesharing the right way without getting ripped off.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding TUG in time!

I'm not an HGVC owner and I don't have much experience with the Caribbean, but I'd say HGVC is too expensive to use for RCI trades. Most RCI resorts will be a big trade down from a Hilton.

If you want to stay in Hiltons, I'd suggest buying a resale HGVC and learning to use the HGVC system. Then later, you can learn how to play the exchange game if you like. (There are great deals to be had if you know what you're doing.) For exchanging, I'd suggest buying a cheap trader (low annual fees, high RCI TPUs) to use in RCI, or a system such as Worldmark that trades well in both II and RCI, or maybe a Starwood or Marriott week to use in II (Starwood and Marriott weeks get special trade preference in II when trading back into the same brand. Some Starwoods and Marriotts trade in both RCI and II, but there is no special trade preference for them in RCI, plus you run into the problem again that most trades in RCI will be to resorts of lesser quality.)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So glad you found TUG. Congratulations on that huge savings.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
God Bless TUG! You just saved me 30K!

Congratulations and Welcome to TUG !!
Thanks for sharing your story :)

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Judy :)
Buy a WorldMark membership and be able to trade into Interval International AND RCI (and some other smaller exchange companies). I have HGVC and WM and some others and those two are my favorites.

Congratulations on finding TUG in time!

I'm not an HGVC owner and I don't have much experience with the Caribbean, but I'd say HGVC is too expensive to use for RCI trades. Most RCI resorts will be a big trade down from a Hilton.

If you want to stay in Hiltons, I'd suggest buying a resale HGVC and learning to use the HGVC system. Then later, you can learn how to play the exchange game if you like. (There are great deals to be had if you know what you're doing.) For exchanging, I'd suggest buying a cheap trader (low annual fees, high RCI TPUs) to use in RCI, or a system such as Worldmark that trades well in both II and RCI, or maybe a Starwood or Marriott week to use in II (Starwood and Marriott weeks get special trade preference in II when trading back into the same brand. Some Starwoods and Marriotts trade in both RCI and II, but there is no special trade preference for them in RCI, plus you run into the problem again that most trades in RCI will be to resorts of lesser quality.)

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Judy :)
Buy a WorldMark membership and be able to trade into Interval International AND RCI (and some other smaller exchange companies). I have HGVC and WM and some others and those two are my favorites.

I will give Worldmark a 3rd vote. I am biased because I own both Worldmark and HGVC, but mainly because both are points based systems with lots of flexiblity, exactly what I think the OP is looking for.

And having Worldmark can get access to both II and RCI, but since HGVC already have access to RCI, II is what use my WorldMark for. It's nice to have both options.

Good Luck on your search,
Great3

dabtpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Decision

I used to work for HGVC and know Seth and Judy. They are both fine people.

Last edited by a moderator:

catvag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caribbean resorts

I recommend Royal Resorts. They are small in the Caribbean, but are well maintained, not glitzy and overcrowded. We own at Marriott Surf Club & Renaissance in Aruba, and 2 Marriotts in Hawaii. We prefer the welcoming atmosphere and locale of the Royal Sea Aquarium in Curacao where we have 2 weeks. They also have one on St. Martaan and on Aruba, as well as a number in Mexico. Happy TSing!

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hooray!

I love reading stories like this on TUG. You are so smart, and so lucky, to have found TUG, and saved all that money.
It's nice to see that you're a member now, too. Double congratulations!
May you enjoy many years of timeshare usage, and live happily ever after. :whoopie:

bobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe try Caribbean renting

I'd wait a few years and buying in USA offers some protections. TUG rental board has good choices, some can be last minute. Also, as we age, we have found we are branching out into other choices part-time like small boat river cruises, we just got back from the Galapagos, etc. so don't own too many weeks. Fees just seem to only go up and renting your unit out is not always a given.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
OP, I assume you know you made the TUG Newsletter:
TUG newsletter for week 10, 2015

TUG Saves owner $30,000 on Hilton rescission!
Certainly the post of the week/month/year sofar! What a fantastic thank you to TUG by a member who found us in time to save an absolutely insane amount of money. The helpfulness and willingness to freely give away knowledge is what sets the TUG family apart from any other organization!

Not bad for your first post :p

taffy19

Reaction score
Research, while still on vacation, paid off for you and welcome to TUG. :) You will learn a lot how to take the best vacations.

Kudos to the Hilton Brand to be so professional to give you no stress to rescind your contract.

khoyle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's how I did it.

LD

I did the same thing but the Hilton in Oahu. After canceling we purchased HGVC Flamingo in Vegas. After much research, this is the only property that Hilton does not have a "First Right of Refusal" on resales. Purchased 8400 points for about 10% of the retail price. Hilton also treats new non "front door" members just the same. So we have very happy with the system and where we are now. Check out eBay for some sweet deals.