• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside in January

Keksik

Reaction score
I just booked Harborside from Jan 2-9, 2015. Week 2 is platinum season, I was surprised that there was plenty of availability. Has anyone traveled to Harborside in January? We have stayed in the hotel a few years ago, but never on the timeshare side. Any advice?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your exchange.

Even though week 1 and 2 and platinum season, they are the easiest weeks of the platinum season to obtain.

Never been at that time of year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I was told that it's really too cool to enjoy the pools, etc.

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went once in the third week of January. Still enjoyed the waterpark (and it was nice and quiet), but it wasn't "ideal." Highs were in the mid 70's, which is very nice for walking around or even laying on the beach, but not quite as hot as you'd like hanging out in the water most of the day. The weather can fluctuate that time of year, so you could get some days into the low 80's, but you could also get much cooler days. If you've got a "shorty" wetsuit, I think you'd be very comfortable as many of the Atlantis pools are slightly heated...just be prepared.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked Harborside from Jan 2-9, 2015. Week 2 is platinum season, I was surprised that there was plenty of availability. Has anyone traveled to Harborside in January? We have stayed in the hotel a few years ago, but never on the timeshare side. Any advice?

The ocean temp there is barely tolerable - as well as the water temp in the pools and (not so) lazy river. If I were to go back in the winter, I would bring a very thin long sleeve wetsuit/rash guard top just to keep a little warmer in the water. On the other hand, the resort is MUCH less crowded in the winter, which we really liked.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there this past January, 10th to 17th. Weather was actually excellent. every day the daily highs were around 82, the lows were in the low 70s. Only one day we were there the high was around 75 and the low was 66. That was the coldest day of the week.

Pools were very comfortable, ocean was cool. Resort was not crowded at all. Chicago the week before we left was -50 including the wind chill. Couldnt have been happier to be there.

When I got back though, my mechanic had parked my AMG mercedes in my driveway (i told him to put it in the garage), it was covered in snow, and frozen. And when i turned it on the air compressor for the air suspension was so cold it wouldnt work and wouldnt raise the car. I pulled it in the garage like it was a lowrider from the 70s (after I shoveled of course because Mr Plow couldnt do my whole driveway with my car in it, and snow was too frozen to use the snow blower). Mechanic got an earful.

Last edited:

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got back though, my mechanic had parked my AMG mercedes in my driveway (i told him to put it in the garage), it was covered in snow, and frozen. And when i turned it on the air compressor for the air suspension was so cold it wouldnt work and wouldnt raise the car. I pulled it in the garage like it was a lowrider from the 70s (after I shoveled of course because Mr Plow couldnt do my whole driveway with my car in it, and snow was too frozen to use the snow blower). Mechanic got an earful.

First-world problems.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
First-world problems.
so true, in fact I was going to put #firstworldproblems, but I wasnt sure if most of the old-timers here would get the twitter/fb/ig reference to hashtags.

Normally something like this wouldnt bug me, not in the slightest, and I dont typically have my monocle in my eye. But it was -40 to -50, record breaking cold, with record snow amounts. And coming back from 80 degree weather and first thing having to do that really bugged me. I mean there was like 3 feet of frozen rock solid snow. how hard is it to pull it into the garage.

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add, Siesta's story is very telling. Where you're coming from is going to tint your glasses a bit. Coming from LA, I think you'll find it not sufficiently warm to appreciate it...coming from Chicago is a different story. Even with a high of 82, the temp is holding that high for very little of the day. Again, we went and enjoyed it, but not NEARLY as much as April/May which is still a bit quiet and perfect temps.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
We own week 1 and have been going for 12 years==never had bad weather--is it always in the 80's No--but when the sun is out it is great and the pools are heated==best part no lines anywhere--only down side is the rotating closing of restaurants. We also own week 52 and after this last year with the crowds I actually decided to sell that week--I will take 1 any time over Christmas/New Years. JMHO.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
So when is the ideal time to go? when does it feel warm enough to use the pools and/or ocean? March, April, May? we went in November for Thanksgiving and it was in the low 80s and very comfortable swimming weather.

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
So when is the ideal time to go? when does it feel warm enough to use the pools and/or ocean? March, April, May? we went in November for Thanksgiving and it was in the low 80s and very comfortable swimming weather.

My boys (ages 9 & 10) have spent more than a half of a year of their lives in the Bahamas so we have spent a lot of time there. We own President's Day week (late February) and we generally have great weather but we have usually spent at least 1-2 other weeks per year there. I will say that we have never been in the out of school summer months (June-August) as I just haven't wanted to deal with that.

With that said, our best trips (crowds and weather considered) have been in May and September. We have also enjoyed October and November. Our ownership week of February is usually a little cooler and more windy than our other visits. If I had to buy a week to own at this point, considering crowds and weather (including the possibility of hurricanes), I would pick May as the best month to own at HRA.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We like to go to Harborside in mid-May. The water is warm, the weather is good (before hurricane season), and the crowds are light since you are between the spring break / Easter vacations and the end of school. I think the people who go in January are trying to escape the snow and don't care that much if they don't spend much time in the water. I'd hate it if I couldn't be in the water all day.

woodyd70

TUG Member
Reaction score
we've been in both December and January....... both are nice. Though the water is a bit cooler than ideal, the crowds/lines are low........we had a blast both times......I would recommend, for sure..........January is fine.

best of luck