• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is MVCI Destination Club Points the Answer?

liz_kevin

Reaction score
We have an ownership in two (2) Marriott Vacation Clubs and have been pleased with our access to Hawaiian properties to date. On our last visit, MVC explained that this will stop soon as 2/3 of Marriott Legacy Owners (deeded weeks) have joined the Destination Club Points Program and as a result we will no longer have access to busier times of the year and more sought-after locations. Our units are challenged in that they are either off-season or smaller 1 bedroom, yet we have benefitted. Have we just been lucky?

MVC has been suggested we join the DC program and purchase points to bring us to a Premier status with the points from our existing units. It is fairly costly for the upfront costs and then the additional maintenance. Really, we are unsure of the real benefit, if any?

Two years ago we were told we would suffer and yet definitely have not, in fact we have done better! However, if 2/3 of MVC owners have converted, in addition the Marriott's own unsold inventory being placed in the Trust, we are concerned that we will lose out and to gain access to the DC program at a later date will be far more costly.

Also, we are apprehensive in how the program will be administered, i.e. that points required at certain resorts and at certain times of year and for certain units will fluctuate/increase in the future, meaning our available points will lose value, as more will be required to secure that which we want? I have been told by MVC that this is not the case, that the units in the Trust have a fixed point value and this cannot change. In small print I understood that owners could vote on number of points that various units and times of year require and as long as total DC points for the total annual inventory at the resort are reconciled, meaning if something goes up, something else should equally come down it's allowed. The reality... 3,500 points cost approximately $34K plus maintenance, another $1500, which has no fixed cap. Also the points have no real exit or liquidity available. There were some incentives offered, yet they equal maybe 10 to 15 nights at Marriott properties; the value of which will be used in the first year or two. We have a couple of days to rescind our agreement... Thoughts? Is this a good situation? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I would rescind because I don't believe that 2/3 of Marriott owners have joined. Also those that have joined are not all using DC points for trades. I'm sure there are still those out there using II for their trading. Alot of people joined because it lowered their yearly fees with lock-offs, trading, etc.. I'd rescind and then, research it to the fullest before deciding.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Rescind for now...

I would suggest that for now you rescind and continue to read the forums here on TUG to familiarize yourself better with Marriott's point system. I joined the DC program but did not buy additional points just for additional flexibility. I have not tried to use the points yet, but plan to do so in 2013.

One thing that may help you as you do more reading will be the ability to rent points from another Marriott DC owner if necessary. However, so far there has not been much discussion from TUG members not being able to get Interval international trades as in the past. We don't know what the future brings as of now so only time will tell.

In the meantime, hold on to your money would be my advice.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

True..The #points in the Trust is fixed...but they can be changed from Resort to Resort. IOW..the points required for summer Hawaii can increase, if matched by a decrease inpoints required for fall Branson....

Don't accept anything the sales representative states unless they put it in writing....

A couple of guarantees...

#1 MF's will increase..
#2 The documents are created to protect MVCD...they are written this way for a reason!!!!
#3 You probably had the standard sales pitch a few years ago...buy now to purchase tomorrows vacations at todays prices...now a few years later you are being told your purchase is not good or wil be diminished...What happens in 3 years when they create a "supertrust" that can only be accessed by new "supertrust points"
#4 You will ever be able to sell these points...with Draconian transfer rules you won't even be able to give them away!!!

just food for thought...

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
As others have posted- rescind now. I say that emphatically regardless of whatever decision you ultimately make- the fact that you are asking questions and unsure indicates you should take time before making such an expensive decision, and the window to rescind is small. Rescind now and then do your research.

A few comments similar to the above- a lot of owners have joined but at this point most still use their weeks as weeks. A lot joined just for the fee savings and/or to be part of the club and protect against future changes. Joining the DC also allows you to rent points from others, and make your own DC reservations using either your own legacy weeks converted to points, your own points supplemented by rented points, or reservations using just rented points. So renting points is a viable alternative t buying and doesn't encumber you with a long term obligation. It allows you to test the waters and experience the program for yourself.

Keep in mind that the point requirements for reserving the Hawaii properties is very high. To get a 2BR you'd likely need all the points from both of your weeks and maybe then some. Especially if you are flexible in travel dates II may very well continue to work well for you for years to come.

Welcome to Tug, btw, and feel free to ask questions until you are comfortable with your decision.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Rescind right now. Don't wait. Study TUG...ask questions. Enjoy your TUG membership...best little fee you'll ever have in timeshares.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reality... 3,500 points cost approximately $34K plus maintenance, another $1500, which has no fixed cap. Also the points have no real exit or liquidity available. There were some incentives offered, yet they equal maybe 10 to 15 nights at Marriott properties; the value of which will be used in the first year or two. advance for your comments.

I think you answered your own question with your description of reality.

I dumped both of my Marriott timeshares last year because of this extremely bad program.

marbev

Reaction score
Marriott hasen´t change anything, there are 3 type of owers 1. owners (traditional week owner) 2. enrolled owner (owner that has decided to enroll their weeks into the points system) and 3. Points owners (new owners of benefcial interest) all of the ownes have the same rights of the over 400k owners more than 220k owners change into the points system. You can still trade the same way you have done in the past.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dumped both of my Marriott timeshares last year because of this extremely bad program.

I disagree. In 2012 my MVCI ownership took me to

Marbella Beach Club - twice.
Phuket Beach Club
St. Kitts
Son Antem - twice
Cypress Harbour

A total of 10 weeks vacation.

Phuket Beach Club -Home resort weeks (3)
JW Marriott Khao Lak using MVCIAP Points - 5 nights
Manor Club II and DC points 9 nights
Son Antem -Home resort weeks (2)
Hilton Head Island - II exchange - 2 weeks
Crystal Shores - DC Points - 6 nights
Frenchman's Cove - DC points - 13 nights

A total of 12 weeks

This is not a Bad Programme. There are Pros and Cons but for me the Pros far outweigh the Cons.

Not a single XYZ or A/C needed - 2 A/Cs going to waste in 2013. Too restrictive and not worth the cost to use. But that's why I am moving my exchanges to the DC away from II.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott hasen´t change anything, there are 3 type of owers 1. owners (traditional week owner) 2. enrolled owner (owner that has decided to enroll their weeks into the points system) and 3. Points owners (new owners of benefcial interest) all of the ownes have the same rights of the over 400k owners more than 220k owners change into the points system. You can still trade the same way you have done in the past.

There is a fourth. The Hybrid owner who is a member of (1), (2), and (3) mentioned above.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question with your description of reality.

I think today a DC member can rent 3500 points/year for $2K or less without additional MF.

The program is working well for us at the moment.

marbev

Reaction score
We have an ownership in two (2) Marriott Vacation Clubs and have been pleased with our access to Hawaiian properties to date. On our last visit, MVC explained that this will stop soon as 2/3 of Marriott Legacy Owners (deeded weeks) have joined the Destination Club Points Program and as a result we will no longer have access to busier times of the year and more sought-after locations. Our units are challenged in that they are either off-season or smaller 1 bedroom, yet we have benefitted. Have we just been lucky?

MVC has been suggested we join the DC program and purchase points to bring us to a Premier status with the points from our existing units. It is fairly costly for the upfront costs and then the additional maintenance. Really, we are unsure of the real benefit, if any?

Two years ago we were told we would suffer and yet definitely have not, in fact we have done better! However, if 2/3 of MVC owners have converted, in addition the Marriott's own unsold inventory being placed in the Trust, we are concerned that we will lose out and to gain access to the DC program at a later date will be far more costly.

Also, we are apprehensive in how the program will be administered, i.e. that points required at certain resorts and at certain times of year and for certain units will fluctuate/increase in the future, meaning our available points will lose value, as more will be required to secure that which we want? I have been told by MVC that this is not the case, that the units in the Trust have a fixed point value and this cannot change. In small print I understood that owners could vote on number of points that various units and times of year require and as long as total DC points for the total annual inventory at the resort are reconciled, meaning if something goes up, something else should equally come down it's allowed. The reality... 3,500 points cost approximately $34K plus maintenance, another $1500, which has no fixed cap. Also the points have no real exit or liquidity available. There were some incentives offered, yet they equal maybe 10 to 15 nights at Marriott properties; the value of which will be used in the first year or two. We have a couple of days to rescind our agreement... Thoughts? Is this a good situation? Thanks in advance for your comments.

As mentioned before you can still use your program as before, as more DC members come aboard there will be more difficult to book primetime locations and seasons if you are not enroll but not impossible. The enrollment will cost more later on you can be sure of that, the introduction is an spcial option for Marriott weeks owners, they just want to give you a taste of the new program, once you use it you will get more points. At the moment the price for enrollment is $ 2.395 whether you enroll one week or all of them is one price, you will get an incentive of 3.780 Plus points wich you have to use within a year after you get them. There is a lot of benefits with premier or premier plus this are justa few: 1. if you do a last minute reservation with in 7days you get 20% point discount, 2. You can get 40% discount on rentals if using MR Visa. 3. You can exchange your points into Marriott rewards points every years a total of 65% of your points not 100%. 4. You will get Marriott Rewards Elite Status free for 3 years guarantee gold status with qualifiying purchase. 5. You can book Premier Tier Cruises using vacation club points. 6. Discount on the Explores packages ($100) per person excursion credit. 7. You can book hard to get tickets for sporting events i.e world series, superball, daytona 500, NBA Finals, etc.. an,d another option is premier can exchange points into the Ritz-Carlton luxury residences and Gran Residences by Marriott. This are only few options you get with premier and premier plus.

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
By now, OP has probably either rescinded or stayed on board. I never personally tell anyone what they should do. Everyone is responsible for their own decisions in life. Read and study as much as possible and then make a decision. Afterward, make the best of your decision. If owning one or more timeshares is smart at all (which in my view it is not), then the Marriott DC program can work very well. It has worked very well for us. The vacations we have taken since the program's inception could not have been taken without DC points. We are so-called "hybrid" members, and we have not had any issues reserving anything we have wanted so far. Whether a program is good or bad should be determined by one's success in getting out of it what one wants. It appears to me that most of the DC members posting here have been able to do that.