• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Penn State/Sandusky report is out [merged]

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It is interesting and instructive on how quickly the attention of the media and most people has turned away from the victims and to the "football program and how innocent students, athletes, etc. etc. will be hurt".

That is exactly the kind of thinking that allowed Sandusky to operate his disgusting pedophile operation at Penn State and his "charity to help kids'. The first thing Paterno and everyone else at Penn State was concerned about was how Sandusky's dirty little operation would hurt Penn State. Not his child victims.

Sandusky was a depraved child molestor. He hurt many many children. Paterno and Penn State helped him. There is no punishment that can be too severe. If "innocent" students and athletes are harmed it is because of what Paterno and company did to cover up the actions of a hideous person. That made them hideous people as well.

The NCAA doesn't want to see this happen again. Based upon everything I read and see in the media they are fighting a losing battle. AFTER ALL, it is almighty football that is the important thing. I mean we have to be able to watch our football team. Why should WE be inconvienced and miss some really good games? Why should players be inconvienced and have to move to another school to play a game? Why should the record books be changed ? Its just not fair to US! What a stupid sick society we live in.

This is why I was so much in favor of Penn State football NOT taking the field to finish out their season last year following the Grand Jury report, why I was so completely disgusted with the governor decreeing that flags be flown at half-staff in PA with Joe Paterno's passing, why I thought that statue should have been removed the day the Freeh report came out, why I still think that it's wrong to allow Penn State football to take the field in front of an adoring crowd who now believe themselves to be martyrs for their misguided cause ...

There isn't much history for a pedophile scandal of this magnitude but what is available should have been used as a barometer for Penn State and wasn't. The history tells us that when such a scandal is first unearthed, erring on the side of caution with the child victims in mind is so important at every step of the way, both because to do so validates the victims' plights but also because it stops dead the culture that fed the monster. The people who are ingrained in that culture had their martyrdom validated by those moves and all the others that took priority over the victims' distress.

I love your rant, completely agree that the reactions of some are sickeningly so over-the-top in their rejection of any punishment that hurts anybody connected to Penn State excepting Sandusky and McQueary. But, IMO it is possible to remain focused on the victims while at the same time discussing the ramifications of how this scandal affects innocent bystanders with collateral damage. It should be possible for the media and the rest of us to explore all angles while still validating that the victims should always be the number one priority. The way I see it, the problem lies with those who would misplace their priorities so wrongly that the collateral damage is considered a higher priority, not with anybody who's now discussing how some folks are being punished for something not of their doing. It DOES stink that the current players at Penn State have just had their insular worlds turned upside-down. Acknowledging that doesn't equate to saying that they should not suffer as collateral damage or that their suffering is equal to that of the victims.

Last edited:

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
USA swimming and child molestation and silence

Here is part of an article exclusive to the Washington Post about another case of child molestation. The key thing in all of this is that adults keep their mouths shut instead of helping children who have no way to protect themselves. It is absolutely infuriating.

Curl-Burke founder Rick Curl faces hearing on former swimmer’s account of underage sexual relationship in 1980s

By Amy Shipley, Wednesday, July 25, 10:08 AM

USA Swimming has requested an emergency disciplinary hearing against prominent Washington area swimming coach Rick Curl for allegedly engaging in a sexual relationship with a teen swimmer and then paying her and her parents to keep quiet as part of a settlement.

Kelley Currin, whose maiden name was Kelley Davies, said Curl had sexual relations with her for four years beginning in 1983, when she was 13 and he 33.

Currin said her parents, Gerald and Pamela Davies, learned of the alleged relationship when they read her diary soon before she left for the University of Texas on a swimming scholarship in 1987. She said they confronted Curl, but their attorney discouraged them from pursuing criminal action.

Instead, in 1989, the parties reached a non-disclosure agreement under which Curl agreed to compensate the family $150,000 over 11 years for the “pain and suffering experienced by her” and because he recognized possible damage to his “reputation and customer relations.” Under the agreement, which The Post has reviewed, Currin agreed not to press charges or speak publicly about it.

Reached Tuesday night, Curl, 62, declined to comment on the matter. Asked if he had any comment about USA Swimming’s action, he replied, “No, I have no idea what that’s all about.” Asked about specific allegations made by Currin, Curl abruptly ended the call.

Curl, who coached Tom Dolan to three medals in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics, attended last month’s U.S. Olympic trials in Omaha on a coaching credential. His Curl-Burke Swim Club, founded in 1978, is one of the largest in the country, with 950 swimmers among its 10 sites in the Washington area.

Shortly after this article was published online Wednesday, Curl posted a letter on the club’s Web site announcing he was taking a leave of absence effective immediately.

“Curl Burke Swim Club takes very seriously the health and well being of your children that swim for our Club,” the letter read in part. “This article is painful for our Club and myself personally.”

Last week in an interview with The Post, Currin, now 43, said, “I was stifled for 23 years from saying anything because I signed a piece of paper when I was 19. Now, I’ve gotten to the point in my life where I’m done being quiet about it . . . It was a crime, what happened.”

Added Currin in an interview Tuesday: “It’s been 23 years, six months and two days. That’s better than 23 years, six months and three days. All I can do is all I do today to make a change. . . . I can’t go back. It’s very disheartening that I was scared for so long.”

Currin said when her parents became aware of the matter years ago, their attorney told them that Andrew Sonner, then the Montgomery County State’s Attorney, speculated that Curl would get only “a slap on the wrist.” (Sonner, now retired, has told The Post he did not recall the matter.) Currin said she confided in a number of people, including some prominent coaches, but The Post was unable to find any evidence of formal action initiated against Curl.

CapriciousC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is part of an article exclusive to the Washington Post about another case of child molestation. The key thing in all of this is that adults keep their mouths shut instead of helping children who have no way to protect themselves. It is absolutely infuriating.

Curl-Burke founder Rick Curl faces hearing on former swimmer’s account of underage sexual relationship in 1980s

USA Swimming has requested an emergency disciplinary hearing against prominent Washington area swimming coach Rick Curl for allegedly engaging in a sexual relationship with a teen swimmer and then paying her and her parents to keep quiet as part of a settlement.

Kelley Currin, whose maiden name was Kelley Davies, said Curl had sexual relations with her for four years beginning in 1983, when she was 13 and he 33.

Currin said her parents, Gerald and Pamela Davies, learned of the alleged relationship when they read her diary soon before she left for the University of Texas on a swimming scholarship in 1987. She said they confronted Curl, but their attorney discouraged them from pursuing criminal action.

Instead, in 1989, the parties reached a non-disclosure agreement under which Curl agreed to compensate the family $150,000 over 11 years for the “pain and suffering experienced by her” and because he recognized possible damage to his “reputation and customer relations.” Under the agreement, which The Post has reviewed, Currin agreed not to press charges or speak publicly about it.

Reached Tuesday night, Curl, 62, declined to comment on the matter. Asked if he had any comment about USA Swimming’s action, he replied, “No, I have no idea what that’s all about.” Asked about specific allegations made by Currin, Curl abruptly ended the call.

Curl, who coached Tom Dolan to three medals in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics, attended last month’s U.S. Olympic trials in Omaha on a coaching credential. His Curl-Burke Swim Club, founded in 1978, is one of the largest in the country, with 950 swimmers among its 10 sites in the Washington area.

Shortly after this article was published online Wednesday, Curl posted a letter on the club’s Web site announcing he was taking a leave of absence effective immediately.

“Curl Burke Swim Club takes very seriously the health and well being of your children that swim for our Club,” the letter read in part. “This article is painful for our Club and myself personally.”

Last week in an interview with The Post, Currin, now 43, said, “I was stifled for 23 years from saying anything because I signed a piece of paper when I was 19. Now, I’ve gotten to the point in my life where I’m done being quiet about it . . . It was a crime, what happened.”

Added Currin in an interview Tuesday: “It’s been 23 years, six months and two days. That’s better than 23 years, six months and three days. All I can do is all I do today to make a change. . . . I can’t go back. It’s very disheartening that I was scared for so long.”

Currin said when her parents became aware of the matter years ago, their attorney told them that Andrew Sonner, then the Montgomery County State’s Attorney, speculated that Curl would get only “a slap on the wrist.” (Sonner, now retired, has told The Post he did not recall the matter.) Currin said she confided in a number of people, including some prominent coaches, but The Post was unable to find any evidence of formal action initiated against Curl.

I heard about this - that poor woman. Shame on her parents for following the guidance of that attorney and not fighting harder for their child, and shame on them for accepting money. What does this say to their daughter? That her happiness and well-being have a price? That the welfare of other children (because odds are she wasn't the only one and in all the years that have passed there have likely been other victims) also has a price? I'm glad that Currin finally feels free to speak about it, non-disclosure agreement be damned.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I heard about this - that poor woman. Shame on her parents for following the guidance of that attorney and not fighting harder for their child, and shame on them for accepting money. What does this say to their daughter? That her happiness and well-being have a price? That the welfare of other children (because odds are she wasn't the only one and in all the years that have passed there have likely been other victims) also has a price? I'm glad that Currin finally feels free to speak about it, non-disclosure agreement be damned.
By signing the agreement, Currin's parents basically prostituted their daughter out for $150K. Sickening.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

By signing the agreement, Currin's parents basically prostituted their daughter out for $150K. Sickening.

It is sometimes too easy to place blame in these situations, and too easy to say that in a certain situation you (the general you, not singling out either of you two) would do things very differently. I know parents of victims of our local pedophile priest who did everything they thought they possibly could do to protect their children from further harm, and bring those responsible - including the priest as well as those who covered up for him - to justice. In much the same way as it appears it happened in this situation, those parents eventually faced roadblocks on every single avenue that should have led them to people who were supposedly responsible for safeguarding their innocent children. In this case it was the DA and their own attorney. Probably there were police and social service agencies who were aware as well.

The idea that those parents "prostituted" their children by accepting payments further victimizes the parents - in most cases hush money isn't demanded by them, but instead insisted upon by the pedophile's protectors as a perverted way of "making him pay."

This case is as sad as every other and I wouldn't be surprised, either, to learn that this coach victimized other children and was protected by people who should have spoken up. But this happened years ago when all those roadblocks existed. These days they're mostly gone, and that means that every child who was in this woman's situation can now freely come forward and demand justice. I'd hate to think that as they do that, their parents and guardians will be judged as harshly as the monsters who truly victimized them all.

Last edited:

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge

Only a $150,000 penalty for molesting a 13 year old girl? I wonder what the penalty would have been had Curl sexually molested a 13 year old boy? We are living in a depraved culture.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would have been a 4 year death penalty if Penn State did not agree.

Some of the Trustees want to challenge this in court.

geekette

Reaction score
Only a $150,000 penalty for molesting a 13 year old girl? I wonder what the penalty would have been had Curl sexually molested a 13 year old boy? We are living in a depraved culture.

swim coaches do not make much money. I am guessing that 150k was his ability to pay for his plea deal without losing his home and car, which would make it very difficult for him to be employed in order to give them more money. I can't imagine he had that cash on hand at age 33 so I figure that most had to come from future earnings.

Not saying it's right, fair, enuf, whatever, but they all agreed to it.

yikes, I can't think about another ickfest. depraved culture, indeed.

bring on the happy stories from the Olympics. an avalanche of fluff sounds good about now.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting comment in Sports Illustrated

"If it were a fine arts professor who was molesting kids and the university covered it up, I don't think they whould shut down the whole (I assume Fine Arts) program".

Just something to think about.

George

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

"If it were a fine arts professor who was molesting kids and the university covered it up, I don't think they whould shut down the whole (I assume Fine Arts) program".

George

Sure there would be calls for the whole Fine Arts program to be shut down, if the only reason the pedophile had been protected was to further the success of the FA program. I can see where a pedophile curator would be protected if s/he is able to procure, while others aren't, collection pieces that add value to a substantial FA program. Yeah, it's twisted, but haven't we learned that any depravity is possible?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

George

I'd say there is a rather clear difference between a sports program and anything even remotely educational. The fact that you find this question interesting illustrates the importance sports has on our society. The pertinent question should then be whether or not sports should have such influence.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would have been a 4 year death penalty if Penn State did not agree.

Some of the Trustees want to challenge this in court.

Every day the grumbling about this gets louder and louder on sportstalk radio here in Boston. People are getting more and more angry that Penn State was essentially allowed to take a "plea deal" and refuse the multi-year Death Penalty. Many at first glance said that the sanctions which have been imposed are worse than a Death Penalty, but that was before it came out that it would have been for four years and not the usual one. Now what they're saying is that if Penn State was basically allowed to choose, haven't they chosen the lesser of two evils?

I don't know what to think. If the Death Penalty choice would not have allowed all the extras like officially destroying Paterno's legacy, I'd rather the one that they did choose. But I would have preferred all of the sanctions that they've been given PLUS not allowing the team to take the field.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fact that you find this question interesting illustrates the importance sports has on our society.

This comment is pure B--- S----. You haven't the slightest idea what I was thinking. Would you say the same thing if I said I found it interesting that Male HS teachers having affairs with female students are treated differently than Female HS teachers having affairs with male students? I guess if one were an athletic coach and one a guidance counselor, you could work sports into it someway or other.

George

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This comment is pure B--- S----. You haven't the slightest idea what I was thinking. Would you say the same thing if I said I found it interesting that Male HS teachers having affairs with female students are treated differently than Female HS teachers having affairs with male students? I guess if one were an athletic coach and one a guidance counselor, you could work sports into it someway or other.

George

Your anger has no place here. My comment stands, and I wonder if your defensiveness is due to it striking home.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your anger has no place here. My comment stands, and I wonder if your defensiveness is due to it striking home.

Actually I didnt get the point you were trying to make either. Seemed pretty tenuous assessment to me.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
........... I know parents of victims of our local pedophile priest who did everything they thought they possibly could do to protect their children from further harm, and bring those responsible - including the priest as well as those who covered up for him - to justice..............

Saw this on the evening news last night, he covered it up and is now going to jail.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-monsignor-sentence-20120724,0,19600.story

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must be one smart son of a gun to know better than me what I am thinking. Yes the quote is from Sports Illustrated. I guess it is because I am retired but I get many, many offers to subscribe to magazines for $10 or so per year. I have the time so I take advantage and probably read 20 or 30 different magazines a month from cover to cover. They range from guns, collectibles, automobiles, sports, news, money management, business, to name a few.

For you to put thoughts in my mind which don't exist is both rediculous and arrogant!!

George

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Saw this on the evening news last night, he covered it up and is now going to jail.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-monsignor-sentence-20120724,0,19600.story

That's the other big trial that was happening in PA at the same time as Sandusky's, also watched very closely in Boston because he is,"the first Roman Catholic church official to be convicted of a felony for covering up child sex-abuse claims against a priest."

Slowly but surely the tides are turning ...

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the other big trial that was happening in PA at the same time as Sandusky's, also watched very closely in Boston because he is,"the first Roman Catholic church official to be convicted of a felony for covering up child sex-abuse claims against a priest."

Slowly but surely the tides are turning ...

Now if they will only come after that summanamich Roger Mahoney here in California.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep forgetting that all of the investigations aren't completed yet for Penn State. The feds are still looking into the scope of violations against the Clery Act. Does anybody know if penalties for those violations can only be monetary fines, or do the feds have the authority to shut down the football program?

Maybe there's still hope ...

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I keep forgetting that all of the investigations aren't completed yet for Penn State. The feds are still looking into the scope of violations against the Clery Act. Does anybody know if penalties for those violations can only be monetary fines, or do the feds have the authority to shut down the football program?

I'll say it again, I think the football program has been adequately punished.

It may be time to lock the thread, I think we're all repeating ourselves over and over again. But, 99% of it has been cordial, which I appreciate.

geekette

Reaction score
I don't think we're done here. Sue is right, the info is not yet all in. It has been cordial, I see no reason to lock the thread?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
IIt has been cordial, I see no reason to lock the thread?

Hope you're right. Sometimes it helps to ask the moderators to lock a thread, and then for some reason that makes them want to not lock the thread, just because you asked for the thread to be locked. Make sense? :)

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

I cannot envision any legitimate grounds for authority to shut down a football program, only to prosecute criminal violations of federal law or seek civil monetary penalties. That would likely be an extraordinary abuse of power to attempt to do that, and I imagine such an attempt would be skewered by the courts.

geekette

Reaction score
Hope you're right. Sometimes it helps to ask the moderators to lock a thread, and then for some reason that makes them want to not lock the thread, just because you asked for the thread to be locked. Make sense? :)

I didn't look to see if you were the OP. If you are the OP you can request a lock. I just don't see the point in doing so quite yet.

Mods will step in if we get ... unruly.